• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Modern Warfare 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
It has to be done really. I don't particularly care for it, but as it's no doubt going to outsell the last CoD by a few bajillion, it makes it a good topic to discuss.

Personally I'd like to know why it sells so well, and why people praise it so much where new additions are small and don't really change much. And that the success of it has led to many attempts to catch onto that bandwagon of modern-military-shooters that the genre hasn't really got any new ground to tread. (And why Crytek want to develop a Homefront 2 is beyond me.)

Maybe I'm just looking into it too much and envy it's success while other games get pushed aside because people are too busy playing CoD to appreciate brilliant storytelling. (I've been playing Uncharted 3 so that's why I put that bit :p) That CoD is the gaming equivalent of Micheal Bay films and they always seem to attract the highest box offices takings.

I haven't played MW3, and have never really felt I wanted to play multiplayer repeatedly, but maybe that's why people flock in their millions to play it. So what do you think?

Sir Apple

In all honesty I've seen a lot of die-hard COD fans questioning the path COD is taking, and literally saying MW3 is the same as MW2, just with a few things changed around.

To me, Infinaty Ward and Treyarch have a false sense of pride and are milking the success that the series had (past tense). And thats what happens to often now days. Sequel the **** out of something until its dead, then move on - thats human nature it seems.

I've said it before, when making a game series its obvious they will be similar in style and such. But COD makes the transitions poorly in my opinion, and literally is releasing the same game now. But it very literally comes down to, as you mentioned, the new additions small and the change is very little. To me, the biggest changes they ever make is maps and perks.

It becomes a question of how much COD do people have left in them. Even the most crazy fans can only play it for so long. Its sad to me, as I used to love the series... years ago when it was good. As sad as it is, I really think they should retire Call of Duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.