• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Movie vs game vs cinematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic727

Hi,

I was thinking about that... Why in the game we can't have the same graphical details as movies special effects or cinematic?

For exemple, League of Legend look like that :

And the cinematic look like :

Same thing for The Elder Scrolls Online :

I know that for cinematics they are using almost the same software as movies, but why they can't use them to make games?

The only game looking almost like a movie is Ryse Son of Rome...

Do you think it will be possible in the futur? Is it already possible?

thank you :)

hannibaldinski

TW Developer
To anwser this question you have to sort of know what is really happening. If you would remove all the effects, colours and textures you'll end up that looks a bit like this:

You wil see lots and lots of lines. Each making a small triangles. Also known as "polygons". More polygons equals more detail. See here two spheres. One is looking more round because it has more polygons.

So why don't we just go for millions amd billions of these polygons? So many that you can't see the polygons itself anymore, meaning photorealistic graphics? The problem is that you need to calculate and display them on your screen in realtime. Your home computer just isn't powerfull enough to calculate all these points 60 times every second. The reason why you have such a big differance betwean movies and games is that movies are "pre-rendered". Using honderds of computers calculating for days to just create one scene.

Are we going to have photorealistic graphics i the future? Yes for sure. Though maybe not in the way i described here above. In theory we can already have this super realistic graphics in games. We just have to wait a bit longer :D

This is though a simplified explanation as there is of course more to it :) But feel free to ask!

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
Pretty much comes down to processing as Hanni. The level of detail seen in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes just isn't possible to be rendered in real-time, as each individual hair has to be calculated and rendered. It took Pixar 11 hours to render a single frame of Sully in Monsters Inc for that same reason. That's why pre-rendered cutscenes are an easy way to show off your game because they ALWAYS look better than the real-time graphics you achieve during gameplay. Unless you have [MENTION=1564]Koenigstiger[/MENTION] 's 5 Titans of course.

Apparently, Godzilla in the new film was made up of 500,000 polygons and would have taken 445 years to render on a single PC.

hannibaldinski

TW Developer
Holy sjiiiiit. Was looking bit more in to that Unlimited Detail Engine and when i first heard of it was in 2010 xD. That video is from a year later meaning they should be Nowa in 2014 be a lot further down the development line.

I read up on it and in 2010 they got 2million dollars from the austrialien goverment and they had a big demo at some converance last year. Currently its not really made for games but one dev said they have some suprises up tjere sleaves. This can be a game changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.