• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

News Update #54: Road to OVERLORD (Part 2/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

One question,after Overlord will you keep adding maps from that part of the war?

Yes, Chapter Two will keep up the Normandy theater. Not sure about Chapter Three. While we won't have an Omaha beach map (at least not until the US is implemented), you can be sure to see Gold and/or Sword beach at some point.

How many players will be there in server?

The most important part of any game is the gameplay. We have been careful not to be too ambitious in the scope of OVERLORD, so have chosen to restrict ourselves to four maps optimised for 32 players. Increasing the default CRYENGINE player cap of 32 players will require us to allocate significant amounts of our resources into ensuring the game runs smoothly both client-side and server-side, as well as expanding our maps to an area more suitable for the increased player count. We decided those resources could be better spent on gameplay features at this stage, rather than the single large task of increasing the player count.

We are still keen to increase the player cap beyond 32 players in the future and so we have designed our maps such that they can be expanded to support more players if and when we increase the player cap in a future chapter.

Read the update ;)

Aniallator

It's killing me not knowing what the fourth map is... and by the way, can we have another news update for Lebisey, in three parts? So we can see some more detail, some history, and just how the map was made? I know there was one news update for Lebisey a while back, but it didn't reveal much. Hope to see one at some point ;)

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
Oh, now that's alot.. 16/16..

It's a start. Better to have a well-executed iteration that we know will work, than pushing higher without the 1) resources necessary and 2) knocking on the limitation that the Engine got, as already described in the update

In due time I'm sure we can see much bigger battles, and speaking from the level design-aspect it's more than doable; we just need to spend a few sleepless weeks placing more stuff (but that's the fun part so!), but luckily enough we've done all the major work (the time-consuming parts) already anyway to make a transition to a bigger level more or less painless

Zainab

It's a start. Better to have a well-executed iteration that we know will work, than pushing higher without the 1) resources necessary and 2) knocking on the limitation that the Engine got, as already described in the update

In due time I'm sure we can see much bigger battles, and speaking from the level design-aspect it's more than doable; we just need to spend a few sleepless weeks placing more stuff (but that's the fun part so!), but luckily enough we've done all the major work (the time-consuming parts) already anyway to make a transition to a bigger level more or less painless
Appreciate your hard works ;) ! Just precaution of you know lags and all because of full servers...

agus92

Excellent work, guys!

Just a question regarding gameplay: will be able to switch on and off the lights inside the buildings? I can see that both realistic and interesting from a gameplay point of view.

Crackonosh

Excellent work, guys!

Just a question regarding gameplay: will be able to switch on and off the lights inside the buildings? I can see that both realistic and interesting from a gameplay point of view.
I dunno, I was thinking that there isn't much electricity in War.

Status
Not open for further replies.