• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

News Update #57: State of the Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

That would be nice, but then you have to find another set of keys to talk with other Sections/Commander, in PR at least you use the numpads to talk to other squads and commander.
@drummer93 I'm sure that there are other ways other than doing a column to show the signals.
Yeah, I would like to know how it works... probably they'd have to be in a circle or maybe shift a bit to see the hand signals.

That's true, assuming that system is implemented. If that's the case (and depending on how many hand signals there would be) they could be bound to something like the arrow keys as well. Of course if they use bindings instead of a commo rose then the bindings can be customized to suit the player.

@drummer93 not sure of gameplay that shows a squad in action using hand signals (looked at YouTube, but searching "arma 3 hand signals" just comes up with videos that have "hand signals" in the title, which invariably means videos demonstrating them not showing them in active use). You could check YouTube if you want, though suffice it to say that because any order given using RHS is automatically relayed using a hand signal, you see plenty of them.

Last edited:

drummer93

@drummer93 not sure of gameplay that shows a squad in action using hand signals (looked at YouTube, but searching "arma 3 hand signals" just comes up with videos that have "hand signals" in the title, which invariably means videos demonstrating them not showing them in active use). You could check YouTube if you want, though suffice it to say that because any order given using RHS is automatically relayed using a hand signal, you see plenty of them.

ok. I asked you because I searched in youtube and didn't find anything. I'm not an Arma 3 player and maybe you saw something interesting to show me. Thank you anyway

FlyingR

[MENTION=2108]Aniallator[/MENTION] yeah that could work too!

hahahahaha that was very funny xD. I'm talking about tactical column formation. We use it all the time in PR

I understood what you meant, but as you said, it would be hard for the other players to see you doing hand signals while in a column formation, so use other variations of column formation (there are other types of column formations) like staggered, employ other tactical formation, or use your imagination so that everybody sees your hand signals.

drummer93

I understood what you meant, but as you said, it would be hard for the other players to see you doing hand signals while in a column formation, so use other variations of column formation (there are other types of column formations) like staggered, employ other tactical formation, or use your imagination so that everybody sees your hand signals.

but you can't change your formation just to use hand signals, it's not as it should be. It's suppose that the tactical formations is an adaptation to a particular situation

Aniallator

In truth, while a column is the formation usually used, there's no telling what formations players will or will not use (and anyways, column is a loose term, technically it's more of a staggered column people always form). There may be instances where players in the rear don't see a hand signal, but those instances can't be predicted, and if it's possible for the section leader to hold up the hand signal by holding the key then there's a good chance everyone will see it. It's also up to the section leader, as if he wants he can turn to face the section and make sure everyone can see the signal.

FlyingR

but you can't change your formation just to use hand signals, it's not as it should be. It's suppose that the tactical formations is an adaptation to a particular situation

I agree but the mechanics of the bodies in the games generally make it hard for the players to see what's around them due to being blocked by an obstacle (as in having a body in front of you so you wouldn't be able to see your leader's hand signals).

If it's well implemented though, forming a column shouldn't prevent from seeing the hand signals as they would be a few cms to the left/right from the leader's body, like the picture "freeze" you showed in the last page.

drummer93

I agree but the mechanics of the bodies in the games generally make it hard for the players to see what's around them due to being blocked by an obstacle (as in having a body in front of you so you wouldn't be able to see your leader's hand signals).

That is one of most important reasons because I think this will not work. If one player doesn't see the signal, could ruin the situation. Anyway, I hope the devs make the best desition, whatever it is

hannibaldinski

TW Developer
Isn't it like the last soldier doesn't need to see the hand signals? Just giving that your section members close to you stop walking or drop to the ground is enough of an indication. In real combat it would be super easy to miss signals if you're scanning the surrounding areas. Makes it all more real if a player in-game misses the signal too :p

Killen

Isn't it like the last soldier doesn't need to see the hand signals? Just giving that your section members close to you stop walking or drop to the ground is enough of an indication. In real combat it would be super easy to miss signals if you're scanning the surrounding areas. Makes it all more real if a player in-game misses the signal too :p

Realism doesn't match everytime with fun :) i think you will make the right decision! :D

MrKleanupGuys2

I can't wait for this game to go live. I've been playing a lot of Project Reality: World War 2 mod, and also Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm. To get back into the World War 2 setting.

Fire and Movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pretty much what happens in real combat situations since late 19th century and still applicable today no visible signals needed , only keep your eyes on the man in front of you and cover him and vice versa

Status
Not open for further replies.