• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

News Update #57: State of the Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

Traction Wars flying space unicorns confirmed.

Ha ha took the words right out of my mouth xD

Seems to be coming along nicely. Also: mediboxes, ammo boxes, and an AT gun position? Didn't ya guys say no working AT guns for the first release? 8|

I think that's right? Unsurprising considering the animations required... reloading one of those things will be jawdropping just to watch...

FlyingR

Great job guys! I'm so happy everything is coming along! :D

Will the mumble be like PR? And will it also have proximity so anybody within a certain range/radius will be able to hear, including the enemy?

SpaceCroissant

Will the mumble be like PR? And will it also have proximity so anybody within a certain range/radius will be able to hear, including the enemy?

The Mumble integration is something I implemented, and I'll gladly explain more about it and our future voice chat plans as soon as I've had more time to work on it (unfortunately my time for TW is very limited at the moment). We'd rather not announce something only for our plans to change afterwards. Rest assured I'm keen to talk about it, and will do as soon as is sensible. :D I'm sorry I can't tell you anything more exciting right now!

FlyingR

The Mumble integration is something I implemented, and I'll gladly explain more about it and our future voice chat plans as soon as I've had more time to work on it (unfortunately my time for TW is very limited at the moment). We'd rather not announce something only for our plans to change afterwards. Rest assured I'm keen to talk about it, and will do as soon as is sensible. :D I'm sorry I can't tell you anything more exciting right now!

Damn! I'm very interested and curious as to how it will be implemented as it is a fundamental and important feature that can't be left to a side!

Just one question: if there is proximity as in, anybody can hear you within a certain radius, how will you counter or use it in a way that clans or players don't use TS in order to overcome this? Or you are not at this stage yet? :p

SpaceCroissant

Just one question: if there is proximity as in, anybody can hear you within a certain radius, how will you counter or use it in a way that clans or players don't use TS in order to overcome this? Or you are not at this stage yet? :p

There's nothing we can do to actually prevent people from using other VoIP clients, and there are certainly going to be some people that will want to directly interact with friends using their preferred client. I think it would be down to individual servers to encourage players to use our voice chat for the sake of realism.

And yes, as the main post says, the voice chat is positional (i.e. takes in to account a player's position when receiving audio).

FlyingR

There's nothing we can do to actually prevent people from using other VoIP clients, and there are certainly going to be some people that will want to directly interact with friends using their preferred client. I think it would be down to individual servers to encourage players to use our voice chat for the sake of realism.

Yeah thats's what I was afraid of! I'm sure the great majority will use Mumble anyways so it's all good!

When you get that done, I would really really appreciate it if we saw a demonstration video of it, like a short clip or trailer!

mmiedzianyy

It will be the same as in PR [MENTION=2433]FlyingR[/MENTION], everybody can talk via external programms but.. what for? These games are made to interact players with game/community and the best thing is to use 3d voice all the time. I guess.

Aniallator

I too am dying to see how VOIP will be implemented; is it all proximity? Can enemies hear you? Is there a squad radio, or even a team radio? Is VOIP effected when in buildings? Could it be? Hopefully we have an update dedicated to this in the future :)

FlyingR

It will be the same as in PR @FlyingR, everybody can talk via external programms but.. what for? These games are made to interact players with game/community and the best thing is to use 3d voice all the time. I guess.

Well I have all the same questions as [MENTION=2108]Aniallator[/MENTION]. If it's only Proximity, where everybody can hear you rather than having Squad Mumble, people could just use TS in order to avoid being heard by the enemies in TW's Proximity. If there's Squad/Team/Local Mumble then it wouldn't change at all.

drummer93

Wouldn't it be interesting using hand signs when enemies are nearby?

mmm it could be interesting. But we returned back to the same issue discussed in the thread "What compass directions to use?", it requires a very coordinated squad. But now I'm thinking, and I dont know if it is a good idea, but maybe the HUD could help to this.

For example, if the squad leader indicates the signal "freeze", the HUD could show something like this to all squad members:
image074.gif

("freeze" is something like "Danger is imminent. Don't move, don't make sounds")

FlyingR

It might. But I think you'd best have a separate control button for hand signals and shouted orders.

I suggested this quite a while you could either have:
- a Commo Rose with hand signals and another CR with shouted orders (2 different keys for each).
- a single Commo Rose with both shouted orders and hand signals. Let's say one of the options of the CR is "Go Go Go" or "Move forward" then if you left click it would shout the orders but if you right click it would use the hand signals (like in PR for Sqd Leader request or weapon request).
- have an extra weapon slot that would be a hand (so 1 would be knife, 2 side weapon, 3 main weapon, ... 7 hand) and once you select that you could have a CR just for hand signals

@drummer93 I understand what you mean, but this is a bit different in the sense that now that the enemy can really hear you, whoever talks will and can f*ck the entire operation and people will get really p*ssed at him, so it is important that the Section Leader specifies when the Section can chat and when they need to look at the S. Leader at all times. This would be immersive as hell, it would really add to the value of the game. I'm loving the idea of it already! :D

Last edited:

drummer93

@drummer93 I understand what you mean, but this is a bit different in the sense that now that the enemy can really hear you, whoever talks will and can f*ck the entire operation and people will get really **** at him, so it is important that the Section Leader specifies when the Section can chat and when they need to look at the S. Leader at all times. This would be immersive as hell, it would really add to the value of the game. I'm loving the idea of it already! :D

I know the importanse of military tactical signs. I'm just giving an idea to make it more easy and coordinated. Remember that it is a game, and not all squad can act as a professional squad. It could be a headache if the HUD doesn't help you. But it is just an idea, maybe I'm wrong

FlyingR

I know the importanse of military tactical signs. I'm just giving an idea to make it more easy and coordinated. Remember that it is a game, and not all squad can act as a professional squad. It could be a headache if the HUD not help you. But it is just an idea, maybe I'm wrong

That is true, but I think it gets to a point that it shouldn't be that simple or easy of a game. New players should read the manual on how to play the game and adapt to it. If you don't pay attention or you mess the fight you will learn. If you are told to be quiet or to look at S. Leader when attacking an enemy, follow the orders or you will be kicked.

This game is mainly for people who are mature and want to play seriously (this means follow and obey orders, respect, be a teamplayer, etc.), if they are going to do neither then they should go play Batallion 1944 :D

Aniallator

It might. But I think you'd best have a separate control button for hand signals and shouted orders.

I agree. IMO, were we to have hand signals, we should have orders that are relayed with hand signals and voice acting, and orders that are relayed with just hand signals, which method being used depending on the situation. There's an Arma 3 mod called RHS that has this, and it works well. For reference this is what hand signals look like in RHS...

@drummer93 a HUD indicator is good idea, but to be honest I think it'd break immersion. @FlyingR I'd say using the numpad would be best. The advantage with the numpad is, you can bind the orders to keys, and by holding rather than pressing a key you should be able to hold the hand signal up as long as you are holding the key, to make sure the whole squad is aware of the signal.

Last edited:

drummer93

That is true, but I think it gets to a point that it shouldn't be that simple or easy of a game. New players should read the manual on how to play the game and adapt to it. If you don't pay attention or you mess the fight you will learn. If you are told to be quiet or to look at S. Leader when attacking an enemy, follow the orders or you will be kicked.

This game is mainly for people who are mature and want to play seriously (this means follow and obey orders, respect, be a teamplayer, etc.), if they are going to do neither then they should go play Batallion 1944 :D

All the column have to replicate the signal to the soldier behind each. You can't see the squad leader signal if you are the last in the column. I'm still thinking that is a headache. But well... x)

FlyingR

@drummer93 a HUD indicator is good idea, but to be honest I think it'd break immersion. @FlyingR I'd say using the numpad would be best. The advantage with the numpad is, you can bind the orders to keys, and by holding rather than pressing a key you should be able to hold the hand signal up as long as you are holding the key, to make sure the whole squad is aware of the signal.

That would be nice, but then you have to find another set of keys to talk with other Sections/Commander, in PR at least you use the numpads to talk to other squads and commander.
[MENTION=1152]drummer93[/MENTION] I'm sure that there are other ways other than doing a column to show the signals.
Yeah, I would like to know how it works... probably they'd have to be in a circle or maybe shift a bit to see the hand signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.