• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Picking a faction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bones99

Hello everyone i'm kind of new to this and i have a a few questions...

How will the faction picking work?
Will you have to stick with one faction? (games like Heroes & Generals - i think this mechanic makes things much more interesting...)
Or will you pick a faction each round? (like Battlefield etc.)
And also are you devs planning to make a campaign map? (again similar to Heroes & Generals)

The reason i ask about stuff closely related to Heroes & Generals is because that was the game i hoped was developing into a very realistic and immersive style game... Since that sort of failed and they aimed for more of an arcade style, i have really high hopes for this game. I (and i'm sure i'm not the only one) have dreamed about this for years. I do hope you devs are able to get inspired by these mechanics from H&G, because it would really add up to the epicness of it. Keep up with the good work!!!

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Welcome to the community [MENTION=2345]Bones99[/MENTION] :)

Faction picking at present is per-round rather than fixed to one faction like H&G. Players of course can choose to always go onto one team or the other of course but it will be a choice.

We did a poll on this a while ago and the results were quite interesting although we didn't frame the question as a permanent choice.

German38%
British22%
No preference25%

Which raises an interesting question - if twice as many players prefer one team over the other and you have fixed teams, how can you ensure there's a balanced number of players on servers?

German all the way, hopefully the unit from Darkest Hour (Red Orchestra: Ostfront) moves over to this game, if it does go to be realistic like you promise.

Bones99

Thank you very much for answering! :) To me it seemed balanced in H&G, but when i look at the poll i have to say that having the per-round faction system is a much better choice. Though i hope the rounds would be set to take quite a long time to make it sort of similar to Battlefield 2 Project Reality (which i played a ton of). In BF2 PR most of the round is just moving and not shooting. Then even the slightest action becomes very dramatic - that i think is realistic and very immersive.

MausRatte

Decently sure it'll be similar to RO2, where you join a match, pick whatever nation in that match has less players, then choose a class and play. Simple enough.

Telefonmast

Thank you very much for answering! :) To me it seemed balanced in H&G, but when i look at the poll i have to say that having the per-round faction system is a much better choice. Though i hope the rounds would be set to take quite a long time to make it sort of similar to Battlefield 2 Project Reality (which i played a ton of). In BF2 PR most of the round is just moving and not shooting. Then even the slightest action becomes very dramatic - that i think is realistic and very immersive.

Heroes and Generals balances with spawning, so there will always be the same amount of players on each team. :)

Bones99

But i mean when you look at the overall numbers you got about 1400 americans and 1350 germans. Not that big of a difference...

Status
Not open for further replies.