• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

REAL augmented reality gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
So I came across this video displaying a proof of concept for some tech that could be used to create an augmented reality FPS.

[video=youtube;fDlD7_NoEbg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDlD7_NoEbg&feature=so cblog_th[/video]

Now it's very basic, and I'm not to sure about the practical applications of playing Battlefield by running around your house shouting orders to attack terrorists invading your kitchen, but it's a pretty neat idea isn't it? Maybe for an advanced simulation or an improved laser-tag or something.

shuttlelauncher

That is pretty insane. Just imagine. Here within the next 5 years technology like that will be in every home for all kinds of reasons. It is crazy how far we have come in this short period.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
Wow you're better at resurrecting old thread than I am, posted that over two years ago :p

VR has come a long way since then, as now whenever you use Oculus you'll be forced to let all Facebook friends know.

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer

Cool idea, perhaps in future with a similar design, we could take airsofft to a whole new level :D

hannibaldinski

TW Developer
Oeh 2 years ago? :p Didn't event notice myself.

But this is really easy to build now. Oculus isn't magic. You can build one yourself very easily. 3D print a mount where you put your phone infront of you eyes and project two slightily offset images on the phone. Then use the camera to film your surroudings. By placing markers on each wall, can be multi rooms, you can go crazy :d. Like walking around and stuff. Making the gun also not very hard xD

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
That sounds interesting Hanni, sure I've seen something similar before but can't remember where...

It was rumoured yesterday that Samsung is developing their own virtual reality headset, which would certainly put the pressure on Oculus. Mainly because I tried the Oculus last year, and the screen was awful, and Samsung screens are great, so I look forward to see what they come up with.

Source

shuttlelauncher

Just realizing this thread has gotten popular. I am the thread resurrector......FEAR M.....oh wait that is a good thing. Hannibal, that is a good idea, I just don't think a lot of people can afford a 3D printer :/ Also, how would you split the images or even display them on the iphone? Wouldn't it have to run off the iphone's hardware? I am just asking questions that are probably answered easily.

hannibaldinski

TW Developer
Buying a Oculus is cheaper then a 3d printer so your maybe better of buying an oculus. But 3d printer is a tool so you can print much more then phonemounts. In future they will be as cheap as normal printers.

Current phones are capable for sure but its not real 3d as you would need two camera's with slightly different angles. Like your eyes.

Stupidly i just remember my college strapped two webcams to an oculus haha. So only thing to do is making the markers work and maybe a gun, or another oculus so you could play multiplayer. Or use kinect. But that requires some high power pc strapped to your back. But even that isnt impossible because deppens on what you display on screen.

_Franky_

High power PC strapped to your back? Living the dream... :) Can someone put some solar panels on my head please?

hannibaldinski

TW Developer
OEH even better solution. Add an LEAP motion to your head so you can track your hand movements :D Then you dont need al those fancy electronics for you gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.