• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Realism/authenticity vs cinematic action

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serathis

I have posted this on the Festung Europa forum as well, seeing how eerily similar the two games will be.

So I had this idea regarding the epicness of gameplay.

First. Look at what maps look in Battlefield 3 and Heroes of Stalingrad. In BF3, the map is "alive", you have fires in the background, rocket artillery shelling something, planes being shot down. In HoS, the maps are barren and boring. A self contained square with maybe a few hills and a house outside the boundaries.

As for cinematic action. I think here, you could "cheat" a little. The two things I could think of:

If you get heavily wounded, you of course "die". Everyone sees you falling over and dropping your weapon, etc. However in first person view, you could see an NPC medic rushing towards you and grabbing you as the screen fades to black. This of course would need tons of tweaking to make it seem plausible. No medic rushing behind enemy lines, or into a trench filled with enemies.

As for tanks. It is commonplace to signal a tank being rendered inoperable by having it blown up. As it has been discussed in a different thread, this was very much not the case, the crew usually tried to bail out. So, while your tank explodes for everyone else, you could have a precanned animation of the commander ordering the bail and opening the hatch as the screen fades to black.

I understand this could be quite a bit of work, however I think things like this could greatly enhance the atmosphere of the game. So we don't end up with something so sterile as HoS.
I would be interested if you think this is a good idea and if you have any of your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.