• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Realistic leaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

I brought this up after seeing the Christmas video again, where it occurred to me that leaning was kind-of-sort-of-maybe-not-really shown. Whatever the case, the leaning seen in the video is realistic, and is how it should be implemented in-game. There are two ways of implementing leaning, and the unrealistic way is how it's implemented in 99% of games. Seen here is Arma 3...

What's wrong? Well, the horizon is horizontal; leaning is expressed by your weapon being angled to the left or right, which is preposterous. Imagine trying to aim down a weapons sights with any accuracy if you're holding your gun sideways like a gangster.

IRL leaning means shifting your upper body to angle to the left or right. I shouldn't have to tell you that your upper body includes your head. To implement leaning realistically, your horizon, not your weapon, should be angled. It's as simple as that. Unfortunately there aren't many games that implement leaning realistically, but the upcoming Escape from Tarkov is one of them...

Well, I've probably explained leaning in an unnecessarily long an tenuous way, but I think I've got the point across. Please, please, PLEASE implement leaning realistically, if you haven't already! On top of being more realistic, it's more immersive... and let's face it, it looks and feels way cooler.

FlyingR

I think there are many forms of leaning, you can lean shifting your body to either sides, or how you describe it. I have never been in a real situation to say so, so in my opinion we should wait for someone who has i.e. [MENTION=109]Maniche[/MENTION] to really explain how it works.

I'm sure they got it already, seeing the X-mas video and seeing as they have a trained professional that did the motion captures for the game.

Aniallator

I think there are many forms of leaning, you can lean shifting your body to either sides, or how you describe it. I have never been in a real situation to say so, so in my opinion we should wait for someone who has i.e. @Maniche to really explain how it works.

I'm sure they got it already, seeing the X-mas video and seeing as they have a trained professional that did the motion captures for the game.

I hope so, considering that all the "realistic" games out there have done it the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.