• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Reloading animations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

I want to bring up two things about reloading animations.

1. Individual animations for reloading and reloading while using a bipod. Some games *cough* Arma 3 *cough* don't have an individual reloading animation for when set up on a bipod, and it's awful. Insurgency is an example of a game that has implemented reloading on a bipod well.

2. Reloading while sighted. Never seen this in a game, just throwing it out there; if it requires totally new animations, then of course it isn't feasible. When I say reloading while sighted, I don't mean you'd remain sighted when reloading; your weapon would still sway as with normal reloading, preventing that, but you'd remain in a sighting position and because most of the sway occurs where the reloading is taking place, the muzzle end of your weapon would remain more or less where it would if you were sighting. I hope that makes sense.

I agree with the first point, should be a feature. I'm not sure I completely understand the second, though. Could you perhaps explain a bit further?

And while we are on the subject of reloads, will we be able to operate the magazine cut-off switch on the Lebel?

Aniallator

I agree with the first point, should be a feature. I'm not sure I completely understand the second, though. Could you perhaps explain a bit further?

And while we are on the subject of reloads, will we be able to operate the magazine cut-off switch on the Lebel?

For the second idea, I mean you'd be able to reload while ironsighting, that is, maintain ironsighting while you reload. I was thinking about this in terms of weapons with bipods, allowing you to maintain ironsighting while reloading when set up on a bipod. However, while I can imagine this with the Bren, it's very unrealistic as far as the MG 34 and MG 42 are concerned, so the suggestion isn't feasible.

Also, what purpose would having the magazine cut-off serve? I don't know enough about the cut-off to judge. I think the cut-off allows the round in the chamber to be extracted without the next round in the magazine going into the chamber, yes?

VonMudra

1st point I agree with.

Second I don't- have you ever tried loading a gun while trying to hold the sights up? You're basically asking for the impossible there, since you need your right hand to say, feed in ammo off the clip into a rifle, and the left hand to hold the rifle steady. You'd never be able to keep your sights up, period.

On the Lebel- yes, it has a cut off IRL, but I'm unsure if we're animating it or not (something I need to bring up when we get to it, plus how to make it function). Basically it just cuts off the magazine and turns the gun into a single shot weapon, with the magazine held in reserve. The cut-off trend pre-WW1 was thanks to worries that soldiers would shoot off the magazine as fast as possible without aiming, so the cut off was meant to enforce careful shots with single round loading, holding the magazine in reserve for emergencies. In practice, it was usually ignored and forgotten about during WW1.

Kilroy115

Here is a question. If you reload a weapon that uses a magazine and the magazine still has ammunition in it. Is that ammo dropped, or is it returned to the soldiers reserve ammo count?

Aniallator

Second I don't- have you ever tried loading a gun while trying to hold the sights up? You're basically asking for the impossible there, since you need your right hand to say, feed in ammo off the clip into a rifle, and the left hand to hold the rifle steady. You'd never be able to keep your sights up, period.

On the Lebel- yes, it has a cut off IRL, but I'm unsure if we're animating it or not (something I need to bring up when we get to it, plus how to make it function). Basically it just cuts off the magazine and turns the gun into a single shot weapon, with the magazine held in reserve. The cut-off trend pre-WW1 was thanks to worries that soldiers would shoot off the magazine as fast as possible without aiming, so the cut off was meant to enforce careful shots with single round loading, holding the magazine in reserve for emergencies. In practice, it was usually ignored and forgotten about during WW1.

As I said in the second post, I was thinking about it in terms of the Bren, when set up on a bipod; however as you've pointed out it's not feasible regardless, so I veto my suggestion ;) Whenever you guys get to it, I'd love to hear whether or not the cut-off will be implemented!

@Kilroy115 I think it was the community questions before last where the devs mentioned that when you reload, the used magazine will be discarded, whether rounds remain or not. Though personally, I'd prefer to be able to hold R and keep the used magazine if rounds remain, as opposed to just pressing R and discarding the magazine regardless.

Last edited:

Aniallator

EDIT: Apologies for the double posting, feel free to delete this! Is there a way to delete my own posts that I'm oblivious to?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.