• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Sandbags, Barbed Wire, Foxholes/Trenches & Assets

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingR

So I was talking with Ani and we were discussing assets and emplacements for defensive positions since PR and Squad have them but they are not quite realistically implemented. Before you all start ranting, I know this is hard to implement and that would be featured maybe in chapter 5 but I think it's a cool suggestions and more importantly a suggestion that can affect gameplay significantly (especially with tanks later on) and that it is somewhat realistic.

We were talking about which features were mainly used in combat zones during WWII like barbed wire and sandbags. This is how it would work.
These resources would come from the main base and it would come in waves like 5-10 barbed wires and 10+ sandbags of like 10-20 minutes each (depending on the map layout).

It would be a system similar to the logistic/supply truck in PR, which is a truck that carries crates with ammo. This truck would have ammo, sandbags and barbed wire and you would have to take it to where you wish and then unload it (you can select and unload with mousewheel and left-click).

How would we use barbwire: You would have to grab it from the crate or directly from the truck and then to place it you would have to click where the barbed wire would start and click again where you would want it to end. Of course there would be a limit of x meters so it's not abused.

How would we use sandbags: I think this should be done totally realistically unlike PR, Squad, etc. where you would have to select and carry one sandbag at a time just like in real life. You would be able to place sandbags nearly everywhere, like on top of tables, other sandbags, in-between an MG or behind a window to avoid people from entering there, etc.

Also there would be foxholes, where you would be able to dig with a shovel until a certain depth. The ability to shovel would be measured by a bar or the sound of your breath (similar to running) to show that you are getting tired and can't dig no longer. This is to avoid people from digging excessively. You would be able to dig foxholes and small trenches, all depending on the situation, time and man-power that you have.

Last point. Maybe the supply trucks could bring radios and emplacements like mounted MGS and heavy mortars as well.

This would affect game play in many ways like:
- Affecting the speed of the game and how you use this to your advantage,
- Teamwork, as in you truly have to work together to speed everything up,
- The effectiveness of defending a flag or a strategic point (hill, city, etc.)

Flare

Vanguard Backer
Sandbags I think would be a great addition. Barbed wire also. However I'm not sure if fox holes should be added. 1, they would require terrain deformation mechanics similar to destruction by explosives or bullets.

Also, if that was implemented, there would be an extremely fast way to entrench positions. People wouldn't use the shovels to dig, they would just place an explosive charge or an anti tank grenade to blow the hole.

For wire and sandbags there should be a way to blow them up or cut them. Wire should be broken by knife type melee weapons or if a vehicle (in future versions) rolls over them. Sandbags should be destroyed by enough damage taken by grenades or bullets. A proper explosive charge or rocket hit would totally destroy them.

Aniallator

+1, of course ;)

Yeah, have around 5 spools of barbed wire (each spool representing 1-2 meters) and around 15 individual sandbags, all of which would spawn at main at the beginning of the round and again every 10 or so minutes, depending on the map layout. To use them, you'd park a truck next to where they spawned and the driver would select the type and number of supplies to load. You'd then drive to wherever you'd like to set them up, and then rather than the driver just unloading the supplies, players would have to go up to the back of the truck and select a supply, which would result in them carrying it and being able to place it the same way we discussed placing MG emplacements, with the help of a ghost outline. No point in the driver just unloading a bunch of supplies onto the ground randomly. When something has been placed, you should be able to pick it up again and move it at will.

I would even suggest that "ammo" come in the form of an actual ammunition crate that can be picked up and placed, allowing players to establish a point of resupply. However, the crate would have a set amount of ammunition of each type; players would be able to load the crate back into a truck, run it back to main, and replenish it.

I'm all for being able to dig foxholes, but given that their implementation requires terrain deformation I doubt we'd see them for some time, if at all. Foxholes should only be able to hold one player (any more in that tight a space would result in glitching unless foxholes were made unreasonably big), and there would have to be limits on where you could dig them, for example at least five meters from another foxhole, perhaps three meters from a structure, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.