• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Some nice and realistic thing for tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esu21

I would love to see that you add 2 things for tanks on the game:

1. 3rd person mode just enable if the player is "out of the tank". I mean,if he wants to see the entire enviroment (3rd person view) he has to get at least his head off the tank. This allow other enemy players to have oportunitys to kill the pilot and steal the tank. Is worse for the pilot,but its better for realism and making tanks not OP :D (For instance,in H&G is already implemented and works pretty good)

2. Multi-crews. Well,this one is harder to implement. But it would be awesome if you could play with your friend in the same tank,one pilot and the other gunner of the main gun or something like that.

mmiedzianyy

"2. Multi-crews. Well,this one is harder to implement. But it would be awesome if you could play with your friend in the same tank,one pilot and the other gunner of the main gun or something like that."
Agree. But tank should be opperative in situations when only one person is using it. I have one restriction to suggest though.
Once the player take the seat for example of mg gunner and is killed inside, this place should not be allowed to be taken again for the tank operator. It should not be available until the another player replace it.

Esu21

Yea,would be hard. One solution is adding to tank-playing modes: Individual (you drive and shoot the guns,but it reloads slower or takes more time to change from the cannon to the MG,not saying that if you die like for a penetrating shot you lose the tank) and the Crew one,with more people inside)

"Once the player take the seat for example of mg gunner and is killed inside, this place should not be allowed to be taken again for the tank operator. It should not be available until the another player replace it"

Emmm,I like the idea,but I dont know...respawning in the tank is a little bit unrealistic for a war simulator(if that what you mean),but yea,a: "if your not trained in tank driving or MG shooting this tank is not for you" idea would be great xD

mmiedzianyy

You can't spawn in tank while it is on the battlefield, only respawn points could allow it. Other way is to get to the tank and get in like in real life?!

Esu21

That's what I was thinking about xD But will be hard in the middle of a battlefield. I was thinking about H&G respawn metods...

Aniallator

3rd person mode just enable if the player is "out of the tank". I mean,if he wants to see the entire enviroment (3rd person view) he has to get at least his head off the tank. This allow other enemy players to have oportunitys to kill the pilot and steal the tank. Is worse for the pilot,but its better for realism and making tanks not OP :D (For instance,in H&G is already implemented and works pretty good)
No, no, no, for the love of all that's good, no. No third person, only first person. And I hate to be Johnny rain cloud, but TW's a realism game, so third person wouldn't work anyway. Nor will stealing tanks.

Multi-crews. Well,this one is harder to implement. But it would be awesome if you could play with your friend in the same tank,one pilot and the other gunner of the main gun or something like that.
RO2 has the same thing, so it shouldn't be hard :)

IMO tanks should be implemented more or less like in RO2; interiors, the lot. The most realistic way is the way I want, even if that means delaying the release of tanks for a chapter or two.

Last edited:

Esu21

No, no, no, for the love of all that's good, no. No third person, only first person. And I hate to be Johnny rain cloud, but TW's a realism game, so third person wouldn't work anyway. Nor will stealing tanks.

RO2 has the same thing, so it shouldn't be hard :)

IMO tanks should be implemented more or less like in RO2; interiors, the lot. The most realistic way is the way I want, even if that means delaying the release of tanks for a chapter or two.

That's right! And well,its usual in this war games to have 3rd person view modes,but my mind can't handle that this game will be realistic and not arcade like the rest xD

With the first thing,I wanted to say that should be 2 modes of view with tanks (or even more,who knows): Into cannon of the tank (with the scope and the markers and all that stuff) and outside of the tank,where you can see clearly how to situation is but with the danger or getting shot meanwhile you do it.

I was also saying 3rd person because in one of the showcases of the dev stages of the game it showed a tank in 3rd person view but without having your character outside the tank,so it was like "hey,this is an OP mode of controlling if some infantry wants to put mines under you but your safe from getting shot..."

Fliper

Why you just don't get out of the tank if you wan't to see whole tank ?

Most of the mines will only blow up your tracks ,so its not that bad of how much it can be .

Aniallator

That's right! And well,its usual in this war games to have 3rd person view modes,but my mind can't handle that this game will be realistic and not arcade like the rest xD

With the first thing,I wanted to say that should be 2 modes of view with tanks (or even more,who knows): Into cannon of the tank (with the scope and the markers and all that stuff) and outside of the tank,where you can see clearly how to situation is but with the danger or getting shot meanwhile you do it.

I was also saying 3rd person because in one of the showcases of the dev stages of the game it showed a tank in 3rd person view but without having your character outside the tank,so it was like "hey,this is an OP mode of controlling if some infantry wants to put mines under you but your safe from getting shot..."
The Cromwell Mk. IV showcase, yes. The devs may have chosen to show third person there for any number of reasons. Perhaps Cromwell interiors weren't modelled yet, perhaps the devs wanted us to see the newly textured Cromwell. Whatever the reason, I guarantee that the third person shown in the showcase won't be in the game. It was clear that the Cromwell wasn't completed, anyway.

Have you played Red Orchestra 2? There's no third person anywhere, and it's great. Tanks are implemented beautifully, with interiors and only first person views. RO2's system works great.

Last edited:

FlyingR

I don't know if the tanks are already done or not, but the way I would like it to be is that there should be a tank commander, a gunner and a driver.

- The door hatches could be open/close for the tank commander and the driver depending if they are in battle or not.

- The gunner would be able to operate both they cannon and the mg.

- The driver would have to use stick shift (manual) drive.

- The soldiers would have to enter from the top of the tank (they would have to jump on top of it to get in).

- The gunner would have 2 views, in the tank (they would be able to see the interior and number of rounds left) and the aim view.

That is all for now :)

Aniallator

1. Transmission. Rather than, for example, pressing W to move forward, pressing W once would accelerate the tank into first gear. Pressing again accelerates into second gear, and pressing again accelerates into third gear, et cetera. How many gears there are depends on the tank's transmission. The Cromwell has five forward gears and one reverse, the Panzer II has seven forward and one reverse, and the Panzer IV has six forward and one reverse.

2. Equipment. I assume tank commanders and/or other crewmen were issued pistols? What about SMGs? I don't know about Brit tankers, but I'm pretty sure German tankers were. Tank commanders also ought to have binoculars, which they can look through if out of the hatch.

3. Hatches and ports. As a tank crewman, you should be able to open hatches (and fire from them if you have a pistol, or use your binoculars through them if you have binoculars) and look through ports (like in RO2, by leaning up to the port).

4. Ammunition. How much ammunition you have for the main gun and MGs should, of course, be historically accurate, as should what kinds of ammunition each tank has available.

5. Smoke grenade launchers. I'm not sure about the Cromwell, but both the Panzer II and IV were equipped with external smoke grenade launchers, for visual defence against anti-tank infantry.

6. Radios. The crewman doubling as a radio operator (bow gunner/radio operator for the Panzer IV, loader/radio operator for the Cromwell and Panzer II) should be able to use the radio by looking at it and pressing the interact key. As tanker can't call in artillery, tank radios would only be used for radio-to-radio communication.

7. Abandoning. At any time, you should be able to abandon your tank with the press of a key.

Mars

Pathfinder Games
We’ll take these notes forward for Chapter 2, however wouldn’t you think these suggestions would make tank gameplay inaccessible? I can appreciate RO2’s vehicle system, but IMO it makes for very frustrating and boring gameplay. IIRC it took the devs 3+ months just to get a single tank completed and in-game… and that’s with their resources!

Aniallator

I enjoy RO2's system because you feel as though you're in the tank, not you are the tank. I don't think it's the least bit boring. Just my opinion, though ;) I understand what you're saying about the time involved. With TW's resources, one tank could take many months before it's complete. So... what about a compromise? A system allowing you to play as the bow gunner, commander, driver, and gunner. As one of these, you'll have a locked view of that crewman's view in the tank. As bow gunner, you have a locked view of the bow MG sight. As commander, you have a locked view in the commander's cupola, but can also open the top hatch and pop up. As driver, you have a locked view of the driver's view slit, and can lower/raise the driver's scopes (if any). As gunner, you have a locked view of the gun sight.

Doing this, you can have interior views without the need to model an interior, aside from what interior you see in the locked views, that being the commander's cupola as well as the driver's view slit (and the area immediately around it).

I think this'd be the best system, when you consider the hugely reduced time required to model the tank, while not sacrificing realism :) Unless, of course, you find it boring!

Whatever you guys do, just please don't have third person views. You can't have that and be a realism game.

Mars

Pathfinder Games
Well it's more to do with realism and fun gameplay than being a simulator - which isn't what this game is about. It's hard to find that right balance, I'll admit.

Fliper

Simulator-For education

Realism -For experience

Both are based on real life ,both are same realistic - but they show different aspect of real life , example driving a plane :

Simulation- you need to press two keys on your keyboard to turn the plane and you can see on your HUD that your character pressing two buttons in plane to turn a plane.

Realism-you only need to press one key on your keyboard to turn a plane and you can see on your HUD that your character pressing two buttons in plane to turn a plane .

Esu21

That's right ;) Just want to have TW not as a "could be",want to have it as a "not normal at how fantastic it is" if you know what I mean

Status
Not open for further replies.