• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

This looks promising - learn from Heros & General's mistakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

liverare

I love to play Heros & Generals (H&G), and it seems to be a similar game to this. But there are so many critical problems with that game in regards to balancing issues, which has led me to hold a large disdane towards the developers (Reto) for some of the late arriving fixes for some of the massive, most complained about issues.

I sincerely hope the developers for this game go on H&G's forum and play their game, to get a good sense of what NOT to do, which may include:

1. Don't compromise historical accuracy to benefit another team. For the longest while, the German faction team had the worst tanks in that game. They were the weakest, the slowest and most ineffectual tanks ever. They were a joke, though not even funny enough to laugh at. The justification was because we (I am a German tanker on there), were 'just too powerful', and so they effectively made it so our tanks could be destroyed in two hits, whereas we had to exchange three in return (sometimes more) in order to destroy enemy tanks. This problem has only recently been addressed despite existing in the game for months.
  2. Please, please, PLEASE don't support wallet-warrior(ing) and pay-to-win. One massive pet peeve I have for H&G is the fact that you can join on day one, throw a couple hundred quid, euros, dollers, etc. at the game and get the best of everything. This results in bad players having good equipment, which is lost and looted by the enemy, and then turned on you. This also results in bad players having no appreciation for their assets. For instance, APCs on H&G act as dynamic spawn points. However, I often see players driving half-tracks on the roads, crashing them into capture points and abandoning them. They treat ACPs as though they were jeeps, without knowing that there's a scarce number of APCs available for your team. They get wasted and the team is made worse because of it.
  3. Sticky grenades and motorbikes. God damn, this one is very personal. Lately, it's becoming more commonplace to find players riding motorbikes at epic speeds, jumping off, throwing three sticky grenades and completely demolishing a King Tiger, or any other kind of tank. Sticky grenades on H&G are seriously, SERIOUSLY overpowered, which is really depressing. Tanks on H&G are exceptionally slower than they should be, namely the Germans. Hell, the Soviets had the fastest tanks (as they did in reality), up until there was an overwhelming call to bring the Soviet and Allied tanks down to the German level. They still remain faster than ours, but the reduction in their overall capabilities is a benefit, and almost every German tanker will attest to this. (Back on point.) Sticky grenades have yet to be addressed in H&G, and I don't expect it to be, or at least not in a timely manner. There seems to be a greater calling for this weapon to get nerfed (and I hope it does), though in the mean time, don't introduce AT weapons like H&G does. Balance them out from day 1. :)

There's probably a lot more that I've missed, but here is just a few of the major problems I have found with H&G that I wish not to see in Traction Wars.

It's a pleasure to meet you! If you do everything right where H&G has done wrong, you're going to have yourself a customer! :)

Last edited:

Alex

Traction Wars is a free to play game with no microtransactions.
Not only is it a free game, it's a realism game. They're not going to tamper with hit-damage and that such for balancing.
Your third issue is something I don't ever expect to be in the game.

All in all, Heroes and Generals is one of the worst games I've ever played and I doubt you'll experience any of the hardships from that.

Aniallator

Hi @liverare, welcome to the community!

I love to play Heros & Generals (H&G), and it seems to be a similar game to this.
Well, I wouldn't compare H&G to TW... WW2 remains the sole thing they have in common.

Don't compromise historical accuracy to benefit another team.
No need to worry, these devs are two hundred percent dedicated to "getting it right". It's a realism game after all!

Please, please, PLEASE don't support wallet-warrior(ing) and pay-to-win.
TW will be free. And I mean free free, not H&G free. Anyway, there's not even a company behind TW... it's developed in the spare time of students and people with normal jobs that share a love of WW2. Don't even try donating, they won't accept!

Sticky grenades and motorbikes.
The No. 74 was used on secondary fronts, and not I believe in Normandy, so it won't make an appearance. Anyway, it only penetrated up to 25 mm of armor and was sh*t against anything bigger than a light tank.

Killen

Something i hate about H&G is weapon's feeling. The weapons look great, but when i shoot them, feels like i am firing paper bullets...

drummer93

no offense, you might have read something about the game before writing a lot...

but don't worry, this will be a realism game with historical accuracy

H&G is cancer when it comes to WW II fps game. It was good (and less arcady when the game was in pre-alpha stage). Now, it's an arcady, grindy and unbalanced game.

Stopped playing it a long time ago and came in touch with Traction Wars, thanks to a person on the H&G forum.

Having said that, TW will be different due to being a realistic, hardcore game.

Killen

It was all fun until i get level 3. Before, everyone used main weapons (garand, gewehr, SVT) that make the same quantity of damage; after level 3, everyone buyed (or obtained) bolt action rifles (one shot one kill).
I felt really mad because i couldn't kill anyone with my gewehr. And, in plus, there were tanks.

the infection begins :rolleyes:

How is this an infection? This chap wants more historical accuracy in a totally free game, which is what the devs are doing here. Also, if he stays on, I'm sure he's willing to learn (like we all will have to) how to play the game properly. So I'm afraid I really don't understand what you're saying.

Timberwolf

Ah yes, H&G. The reason I'm here right now.

H&G is a fun game, but I'm more of a Forgotten Hope 2 veteran. And I prefer FH2, were it not that FH2 is underpopulated and starting to show its age.

I just got here, so I'll just roll with whatever you people tell me. I agree that H&G is far from realistic and subpar in its own right. But as of right now, it's all I got.

Cheers.

P.S. I can't change my avatar (yet?) for some reason. I meet all the criteria on the edit avatar page, but when I press 'save changes' it just...... hangs.

Sydd

the infection begins :rolleyes:

Oh just shut up and cut him some slack. If all you have to offer is whiny comments, go elsewhere. Everyone whose played H&G understands that it was plain BS and probably one of the worst games I''ve played to date. Considering how this is actually a realism game, balancing should be least of our concerns.

Liv is one of the best players in H&G I know, he's not your typical noob whose on the bottom of the list complaining about things, rather one of those rare breed of players who uses chat to try and get players to do what they are actually supposed to be doing, I don't think I've ever seen him below the top 5 players in any game.

Liv, it has been a long time mate! I am really glad to see you here on these forums, just take a good look around the suggestions and about page you will know that this will be nothing like H&G as a matter of fact it doesn't do this game justice to be compared to the likes of H&G.

Our beloved devs here are mostly students and people who have a job, they are making this game in their spare time and unlike RETO, you will see them on the forums actually commenting and talking about things. OH btw, like Ani said, they dont even want donations.. I am pretty sure they will accept cookies tho' I know one of them will, that's for damn sure ;)

So yeah welcome to the community Liv! I hope to play alongside you and this time... we will do well in our tigers and not have a motorbike ride up to us and kill us, this I can be damn certain of.

1. RETO's tank balance was absolutely awful in Heroes and Generals, the idea that my 1939 Pz38T(f) had to fight a late war Chaffee was ridiculous. I'm sure that's not going to make it into this game.
2. To be fair to Heroes and Generals, the new ribbon system they implemented makes it nigh impossible to be a wallet warrior, having to pay for ribbons in gold, as well as the actual weapon/tank you're going for and the necessary modifications to make it useful means no sane middle class person could be able to keep up with the costs.
3. I'm sure if this game is going for any semblance of historical accuracy you will not be able to sponge an 88mm HE shell and then subsequently roll off a motorbike going at 70 km/h and then chuck 3 ST grenades onto the frontal armor of a Tiger 2 tank and blow it up.

REAPER-r32

As the OP said please learn from the Devs at H&G as I'm sure you guys will,I've played H&G a fair bit and it has gradually slipped through the grasp of being a solid WW2 F2P game.I'm aching for some realism and a game that specifically states that it's not fair and overly balanced I want the challenge of overcoming a better equipped enemy the only thing to combat in H&G is the enemies tactics hopefully this game will deliver a brutal challenge to players even after hundreds of hours of game play.For the love of all things that go BOOM don't sell out on us :p

Aniallator

H&G never was a "solid WW2" game :p But yes, Traction Wars will relinquish the thirsts of so many for a proper WW2 realism FPS... a free one, too!

PREDATOR7

H&G is cancer when it comes to WW II fps game. It was good (and less arcady when the game was in pre-alpha stage). Now, it's an arcady, grindy and unbalanced game.

Stopped playing it a long time ago and came in touch with Traction Wars, thanks to a person on the H&G forum.

Having said that, TW will be different due to being a realistic, hardcore game.

Totaly agree about h&g hope TW will make the difference as it shows.Cheers to the devs

Simon

Heroes and Generals is the WORST WW2 game and WORST "modern" shooter game.

Traction Wars will probably eat it in its 1st week of release.

Status
Not open for further replies.