• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

To war or not to war?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingR

[video=youtube;_8rbHwMXMT8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8rbHwMXMT8[/video]​

Do you agree with this veteran? What would you do? Would you join? I am not talking about if another country invaded yours, I'm talking about enlisting to go fight in another country.

As for those who already joined or are planning to (excluding those in conscription), do you believe everything they are telling you about why you go fight abroad?

I agree with most of what this person says. I will never join the army, unless my country is in direct danger.

Simon

This depends on country, situation and your position in army (infantry, mechanic, logistics...)

Everyone who joins army has to sign contract, when he signs it, they can call him anytime and he must go to war.
When you make a decission to join, you know what you are getting into.

FlyingR

Sure it depends, but I mean in general, would you at least join your army if it were to "help" another country?

When you make a decission to join, you know what you are getting into.

I don't really think so. I think most do it because of their ignorance, they think is cool, money issues, pressure, or many other reasons.

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer
Highly depends on what nation and what military as well. In the Netherlands there's quite a long screening process before you actually join where they test your mental state, physical state and make sure you really really really want this.

As for me, if I didn't have severe hay fever I would've signed up for the reserves at least. Granted, you don't get sent to the danger zones as a reserve.

mmiedzianyy

When i was younger my plan was to join Polish Air Forces or Army if 1st option will not succeed.
Time passed, plans changed or maybe i was to scared to move out to different city on the other end of country in such a young age..
Now i got married, have good job.. it's just to much to loose ;P
I do not exclude option when my country will be under the occupation, then mobilization is a must.

Esu21

When i was younger my plan was to join Polish Air Forces or Army if 1st option will not succeed.
Time passed, plans changed or maybe i was to scared to move out to different city on the other end of country in such a young age..
Now i got married, have good job.. it's just to much to loose ;P
I do not exclude option when my country will be under the occupation, then mobilization is a must.

Im still young,and my idea is that if I cant find my dreamed job (physicist) or one that is OK and well-payed (my country has a bad laboral situation,you know) I will join the Spanish Army,or also in case of ocupation. And more If I dont get married, but because I prefer to serve my country before beeing alone and unemployed.

LazMan12

You guys probably mean mobilisation when your country is under attack, because it would be a bit too late for that if occupation is allready present ;)
I was looking forward to my service as a conscript some years ago, even though many guys my age were sceptical, but then they just abolished conscription...

Alex

I plan on joining the military later on, but I haven't decided what exactly what I'll do.

litchu

I had a plan where I would join the airforce and then become a commercial pilot or fly the medicopter ( eventhough it's a small chance of getting the job ), but currently I'm totally fine in the IT :)

zeea

If any other country is in need of help, I would love to support them by doing all I could. However, unfortunately joining the battlefield is not one of them

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer
I am considering weather to become a merc or not. There are some well paid but highly risky jobs.

Basically you get grouped up with other unskilled mercs to aid local troops fight, against for example, ISIS.

Aniallator

I had planned to join the army at some stage, though now I'm not sure. I don't actually live in the States, but were the US invaded I'd fly back and enlist in a heartbeat.

FlyingR

I had planned to join the army at some stage, though now I'm not sure. I don't actually live in the States, but were the US invaded I'd fly back and enlist in a heartbeat.

Why? Why would you help your country invade others? Why would you kill other lives to people who didn't do any harm to you or your country?

Aniallator

Why? Why would you help your country invade others? Why would you kill other lives to people who didn't do any harm to you or your country?

No, you misunderstand. Were the US invaded. So, were the mainland United States to be invaded by another country. If this occured, I'd fly back and enlist. I'd never enlist just because the Republicans convinced the government to invade yet another poor Middle Eastern nation. I'm patriotic, and being patriotic means I love my country; it doesn't mean I love its policies or its government.

FlyingR

No, you misunderstand. Were the US invaded. So, were the mainland United States to be invaded by another country. If this occured, I'd fly back and enlist. I'd never enlist just because the Republicans convinced the government to invade yet another poor Middle Eastern nation. I'm patriotic, and being patriotic means I love my country; it doesn't mean I love its policies or its government.

**** sorry, read wrong. Then I completely agree with you hahaha.

Sydd

I agree, only when there's a valid reason to fight should you enlist. Not because your government wishes to invade other countries. My grandad, although I do not know much about him fought in 3 wars, first was the Indo-Sino conflict in 1962 second was the indo pak conflict in 1965 and the indo pak conflict of 1971. He didn't allow my dad or anyone in the family to join the armed forces. He never talked about it. I will never understand nor will I pretend to know why he made the decisions that he made but one thing I know is that he made the right call enlisting just before the sino indian conflict.

VonMudra

Only way I'd ever join the military is if there was a draft- then and only then would I volunteer, and it would have to still be a war I support (IE, I would still have not joined for 'Nam). I'm pretty damn anti-war, so it would take an enemy like Hitler to make me willing to join up.

Status
Not open for further replies.