• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Two more audio effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

We love hearing that TW will feature the 3Dception audio system. There are two other things that I think are just as key...

1. Muffling obstructed sounds. Listening to someone when standing next to them, and listening to someone when standing on the floor above, is different because in the latter, the speaker's voice is muffled by the floor. IMO, a feature where sound (especially voice) is muffled when obstructed by a wall or similar object is necessary for TW, as friend and enemy alike will be able to hear one another on VoIP. It'll be crucial for communication in CQC situations, really the only situations where combatants on both sides will be near one another without being dead.

2. Altering sounds over distance. A gunshot heard three meters away sounds very different from a gunshot heard three hundred meters away. The resulting difference in sound, that monotonous crack, is found often enough in games in the form of ambient sound (it can be heard in TW in the weapon showcases), but not as an actual sound effect. Arma 3 is the only game I know that has implemented this effect; it was introduced in the huge Eden update a few months ago, and I personally found that like 3Dception's 360 degree audio effects, it doubled immersion.

FlyingR

the sounds effects in PR and SQUAD are incredible. I'm sure TW devs are doing an excellent job too :)

Can't wait to be in the Pegasus Bridge map walking in the darkness stealthily on the way to flank the enemy and hearing shots being fired in the distance. That will be so sexy and epic!

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
Although I have asked very very nicely, we unfortunately have a 'zero-budget' so we can't go on a big gunfire recording spree. We do however have access to a lot of technology and a very handsome resourceful audio lead, so I don't think "sexy and epic" is out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.