• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Update #5: Sten & Scenery

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
News Update #5
Sten & Scenery

Hello and welcome to another update of Traction Wars. This month we have some Work-in-Progress renders of the British Sten Mk.II* by Naga, we announce the first of the many exciting features you can expect in Traction Wars & give you a sneak peek at a mystery map in production by Solidsnake.

Firstly though we would like to welcome Bob_Bobber0 to the team as our new SFX artist. We look forward to showing you some of his noisy contributions in the future.

The Sten emerged while Britain was engaged in the Battle of Britain & facing invasion by Germany. The army was forced to replace weapons lost during the evacuation from Dunkirk while expanding at the same time. Prior to 1941 the British were purchasing all the Thompson submachine guns they could from the United States but this did not begin to meet demand and when in 1941 the United States joined the war the overall demand for Thompson vastly outstretched the supply. The Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield was commissioned by the British Government to produce a much cheaper alternative. The Sten was relatively cheap and quick to produce as many of the parts were made from pressed steel and only minimal welding was required. The Mk.II was an even more minimal design with both the flash eliminator & hand grip removed.

This month Naga has also overhauled our website to include much more information and to announce some of the many features which will be in the mod.

Announced Features:
  • 2 New Teams,
  • Brand New Gamemode,
  • 20+ New Weapons,
  • Advanced Squad & Command System,
  • Balanced Class System,
  • Custom HUD,
  • Original Soundtrack.

Lastly for this update we give you a single ingame shot from one of the WIP maps in production as a taster of what is to come. We are trying to create all our maps from real world locations using references and aerial photo reconnaissance of the time to give the best and most realistic experience possible. We are still looking for mappers to join our team, so if you think your good at working from references and attention to detail then please click here for more details.

As well as mappers we are also looking to recruit new Texture Artists, Animators & Modellers as well as developers in other areas. So if you think you might be interested in bringing WWII to life then please click here.

If you would like to help our mod grow please support us by using the our community signature below. Custom sizes are available if required.

That's all for this update, see you again next time. Until then be sure to check out our community forums and comment on news, post ideas & suggestions, and become part of our quickly developing community.

Last edited:
Re: February 2009

Excellent news.
The models and map look gorgious.
I'm curious what new gameplay you guyz have in mind.

Our own mod almost has the kingtiger ingame: w'r sort of stuck on the animations for the canon and tracks, but it will be fixed in due time.

Monk.

newguy

Re: February 2009

That screenshot looks amazing!
I highly doubt I will be able to play this mod considering I play Crysis on medium settings, but keep up the good work!

Sir Apple

Re: Update #5: Sten & Scenery

I wouldn't count on it.

Since it wasn't to terribly common to use bayonets on stens, it probably won't be included in the mod. Gameplay balance issues also would play a roll in this. Of course, there is always the possibility for it to be put in the mod in a later release, maybe as a peice of equipment in a pickup kit or such, but it won't be in the first release.  :)

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer

Hmm. Even I want to see it, I'll just whine alot backstage.

Hawkeye

Some more questions :p

Will the Crysis Suit/Weapon options will be used in any way? Like the weapon attachment menu for Bayonets and Silencers?

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer

I think we will get completely rid of that, maybe use the coding of it in some way but I want to see a realistic historic WW2 game not a custom WW2 game.

Sir Apple

Merging off of what Fuchs said.

There will firstly be no silencers in the mod, ever.  :) The nanosuit will not be a nanosuit anymore when you play the mod. It will simply be a British or German soldier, with his combat gear. We are removing and reprogramming a lot. In fact, quite a bit of the normal Crysis Wars stuff is being changed/removed to ensure that the mod is in fact a combat realistic ww2 experience.

The attachments will be included with your gear. If you've played games like, Battlefield 2, you'll remember the weapon menu system - which basically gives the player a preset inventory. Traction Wars will be the same for the most part.

Sir Apple

<cough> No, because we aren't focusing on such Commando operations that require that.  ;)

Depending on what you mean commando...

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer

Ah so in 1 glimpse you know what the future will bring us?  :-*

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer

Well, as long as you know we wont follow the mainstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.