• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Viewing Ammo and other weapons

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingR

I know we have talked about this a few times, but @drummer93 inspired me to play RnL (Resistance and Liberation) and to check how much ammo you have you hold "b" I think, and a belt pops up in the lower part of screen and displays the amount clips of the weapons you have for example 4 Mp40 clips, 2 grenades, 2 smoke grenades and 3 pistol clips.
That's not that bad of an idea and I'm very sure @hannibaldinski would be able to incorporate it perfectly

If not, to make it realistic but a bit harder, is to press and hold a button, say "b" and instead of something appearing, you would look down your uniform and belt, there would be a lot of memorizing to do but it would be cool than just some ammo counter, belt or whatever appearing in the screen. You would have to memorize where you take the ammo from (let's say you always grab the first clip from the left for the mp40) and then you know you have 'x' number of clips left, as well the ammo pocket could be left open so we know that that has been used.

Discuss!

Last edited:
I like the general idea, but isn't looking down to see which pouches have been used a bit overly elaborate?

Also, how are you going to see how many clips or mags you've used if you're playing as the British? Their large chest pouches aren't friendly to this system, and neither are the German rifle ammo pouches, as you put two clips in each compartment.

Mars

Pathfinder Games
We'll take your feedback into account.

Alone in the Dark created a very similar inventory system as you were describing [MENTION=2433]FlyingR[/MENTION], you should check that out. It's not in the scope of Chapter One though.

Aniallator

While these are great ideas, I prefer the current system where you check the ammunition of the weapon you're holding (in terms of belts/clips/grenades/magazines, et cetera) by holding the HUD key. Here's why...

For the former, I think a belt icon on the HUD will feel clunky, especially when compared to the current system (though I wouldn't really know, as I haven't played R&L). As for the latter, there's the issue of the detail level of first-person characters. Sure when you look at your comrades in arms around you, their uniforms and webbing will look gorgeous thanks to the powers of CRYENGINE. But when you use freelook and look down at your own? Looking at something that's third-person is different from looking at something that's first-person (in general, anything in a video game won't look as good if you're looking at it closely), and to have a system where you check your ammunition by looking down at your webbing means a you need detailed and equally gorgeous first-person characters, on par with first-person weapons. Regardless of how checking ammunition is implemented, I hope we have this anyway xD Not like some other games I could mention *cough* Arma 3 *cough*. I recall from the FE video where they showcased freelook, the first-person character looked really, really good.

Anyway, on top of all this, how do you show something you wouldn't see? For example, the number of 2-inch mortar rounds in your pouch? The devs would have to make sure every form of ammunition you carry is visible, which isn't realistic. Then there's having to remember which magazine pouches are empty and which are full, et cetera. Again, while both of these ideas are really cool, I just prefer the WIP system we've already seen.

FlyingR

I like the general idea, but isn't looking down to see which pouches have been used a bit overly elaborate?

Also, how are you going to see how many clips or mags you've used if you're playing as the British? Their large chest pouches aren't friendly to this system, and neither are the German rifle ammo pouches, as you put two clips in each compartment.

Yes that would be one of the bigger problems, the position of the pouches/belts.
@Mars you mean this?

Check 0:30

That is pretty cool!! Exactly what I had in mind! I'm quite certain that there could be a way to implement this but it would take quite a lot of time to do so and would have to change a few things (like belt/pouch positions like th_battleaxe and Aniallator mentioned). I understand perfectly that it would not happen in this chapter and maybe not even in the next one. :p

The belt idea popping up, if well implemented and designed, it would be much simpler and efficient so to speak.

Mars

Pathfinder Games
Yeah that's the one :) That game had some new and innovative features, but the controls were a compete nightmare that I couldn't even get past the first level.

hanni has developed our HUD and I'm sure he'll take on everyones feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.