• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Weapon Handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denns Nedry

Hello all!

I would really like to see realistic weapon handling. What I mean by that is not having superman like abilities to stabilize ones weapons unless it is in a supported position. Weapon sway should be pretty severe and actually hitting a target should be difficult as it is in combat. Just my two cents. What do you all think?

mmiedzianyy

Hi and welcome,
i suggest you to read few threads in Suggestions for the game.
You will find really good and entertaining arguments there, besides you will find out how great ideas came up from the community :)
Cheers!

Aniallator

Welcome to the community :) I agree that realistic weapon handling is crucial, and I have no doubt that the devs will implement it properly. Personally, I'm not a fan of being able to hold shift and have a 3x zoom and zero sway, but I would like to see tactical breathing in one form or another (no, you don't hold your breath to focus). Perhaps holding shift would result in reduced sway until you fire, then there would be a five second cooldown time once you've ceased fire before you can use tactical breathing again (if the cooldown hasn't finished and you fire again, it would be reset). This way, focusing is more realistic than - and breaks away from - the traditional system seen in other FPS games, where you "hold your breath" for about five seconds before focus is lost.

As for sway itself, I'd love to see it implemented uniquely for each weapon based on weight and size... a P38 should have hardly any, while a Bren should have sizable sway.

My two cents :)

Flare

Vanguard Backer
[MENTION=2108]Aniallator[/MENTION] - Have you ever aimed a pistol IRL before? Without a stock to rest on your shoulder they actually sway much more than say an Enfield or K98. I don't know about the Bren, it is heavier, but it does have a stock so I can't see it having much more sway than a pistol.

Aniallator

@Aniallator - Have you ever aimed a pistol IRL before? Without a stock to rest on your shoulder they actually sway much more than say an Enfield or K98. I don't know about theBren, it is heavier, but it does have a stock so I can't see it having much more sway than a pistol.

I haven't, that's an excellent point! I have held a Bren though, and it seems to me it has a lot more sway than a pistol, especially when ironsighted.

VonMudra

Having held and fired a Bren, you'd never want to hold it up to your shoulder without the bipod resting on thing, it is far far too heavy to shoot with any accuracy. A pistol sways sure, but it would be more accurate at close range than a shouldered bren xD

Aniallator

Having held and fired a Bren, you'd never want to hold it up to your shoulder without the bipod resting on thing, it is far far too heavy to shoot with any accuracy. A pistol sways sure, but it would be more accurate at close range than a shouldered bren xD

In TW will you have to deploy your Bren on its bipod to be able to ironsight it, like the MG34/MG42?

Comment on all weapons:
1 Realistic representation of weight and heft for bringing the weapon into the aim.
2 Realistic recoil, based on how the weapon is held or mounted.
3 NO attempt to satisfy the quick-twitch players who have excellent hand to eye co-ordination and expect that to be the only requirement for accurate targeting.
Is there an admin to collate all the forums and threads, delete duplicates and save us a few hours looking through what's been posted? And maybe reduce the signature to just the name to save scrolling. Sorry, this is probably the wrong thread but I didn't have 2 hours to spare to find the right one. ;)

Aniallator

Comment on all weapons:
1 Realistic representation of weight and heft for bringing the weapon into the aim.
3 NO attempt to satisfy the quick-twitch players who have excellent hand to eye co-ordination and expect that to be the only requirement for accurate targeting.

You have my vote!

VonMudra

Comment on all weapons:
Is there an admin to collate all the forums and threads, delete duplicates and save us a few hours looking through what's been posted? And maybe reduce the signature to just the name to save scrolling. Sorry, this is probably the wrong thread but I didn't have 2 hours to spare to find the right one. ;)

Basically what we're trying to accomplish, so you'll be happy. :)

Flare

Vanguard Backer
On point three.

I hope you don't do what PR did and make it where weapons are really inaccurate for up to five seconds after you ADS and you have to aim straight for a while to get good shots. Perhaps having extra sway right when you ads would do but please don't add a ton of spread when we start to ADS or adjust our aim.

VonMudra

On point three.

I hope you don't do what PR did and make it where weapons are really inaccurate for up to five seconds after you ADS and you have to aim straight for a while to get good shots. Perhaps having extra sway right when you ads would do but please don't add a ton of spread when we start to ADS or adjust our aim.

Good lord no. That's one of the big reasons that I hate PR.

Well, this is ambiguous. Either you want another remould of an fps quick-twitch game or you want realism. Which is it to be?
No weapon sway means we might as well get a free download of an old COD or MOH.
The game will need weapon sway to be immersive, especially when a quick reaction means controlling your aim or you could miss. Weilding a weapon causes weapon sway based on movement, breathing and posture. Weapon sway should be reduced by character xp as she wins combats and survives battles. Also, players will learn to compensate with the mouse as they get better at playing.

Aniallator

Well, this is ambiguous. Either you want another remould of an fps quick-twitch game or you want realism. Which is it to be?
The game will need weapon sway to be immersive, especially when a quick reaction means controlling your aim or you could miss. Weilding a weapon causes weapon sway based on movement, breathing and posture. Weapon sway should be reduced by character xp as she wins combats and survives battles. Also, players will learn to compensate with the mouse as they get better at playing.

Of course weapons will have sway, what they're referring to is an excessive amount of sway for the first five or so seconds of aiming down a sight, as in Project Reality, which is unrealistic and will not be implemented. TW is fully focused on realism, and that includes the way it handles sway weapon to weapon.

There won't be a point system, nor will there be perks like lowered sway, increased stamina, etc.

Flare

Vanguard Backer

Of course weapons will have sway, what they're referring to is an excessive amount of sway for the first five or so seconds of aiming down a sight, as in Project Reality, which is unrealistic and will not be implemented. TW is fully focused on realism, and that includes the way it handles sway weapon to weapon.

There won't be a point system, nor will there be perks like lowered sway, increased stamina, etc.

I wasn't talking about not wanting weapon sway, I just really do not want what they have in PR. There isn't any sway, but every time you ADS or adjust your aim while ADSing, you get a huge amount of spread (deviation) so the bullet does not go anywhere near where the sights are pointing. There isn't any sway. I think TW should have extra sway right when you ADS instead of spread.

Spread should be kept to pistols and automatic weapons and shouldn't really have that much on the initial shot, perhaps more spread could be added on each shot in a burst to prevent mag-dumping. This spread could be relatively high on SMGs but pretty low on machine guns because then accurate sustained fire would be hard to do.

Aniallator

I wasn't talking about not wanting weapon sway, I just really do not want what they have in PR. There isn't any sway, but every time you ADS or adjust your aim while ADSing, you get a huge amount of spread (deviation) so the bullet does not go anywhere near where the sights are pointing. There isn't any sway.

For the record though, PR does not feature sway because it's a BF2 engine limitation.

Seems I misunderstood. To Aniallator,
“they're referring to is an excessive amount of sway for the first five or so seconds of aiming down a sight”
Agree.
“There won't be a point system,”
What sort of point system? Surely there must be an xp gain for success in a battle for the individual character, just as a soldier would gain experience, say, starting as recruit and reaching veteran.
“nor will there be perks like lowered sway, increased stamina, etc.”
Same again, that an experienced soldier would be better with a weapon and have better fitness.
Sorry if this is repeating what has been said before.

FlyingR

[MENTION=3230]SneakyPara[/MENTION] There won't be any rank system, for now at least. The scoreboard will be like FH2, PR, etc.

Speaking in terms of realism there was a point in the ranks that the officer stopped fighting and most of the times were given a hand gun only.

This actually has been discussed many times
http://www.tractionwars.com/general-discussion/3703-general-discussion-about-ranks.html
http://www.tractionwars.com/general...ething-indicate-players-skill-experience.html
http://www.tractionwars.com/suggestions/3638-suppression-experience.html
http://www.tractionwars.com/suggest...ions-rank-system-medals-scores-hud-other.html

And there might be many more around the forums... but yeah, no. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.