• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Weapon Handling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rank and experience (xp) in TW (and player skill)
First, let us agree that rank is different from experience.
Rank is an agreement between players for who is in charge, so a ranking system could be agreed by the team for their own purposes. There is no need for a mechanism to apply rank to characters in the game other than for decoration. For example, to gain medals or other recognition.
XP, if we follow Aniallator's logic, should not accumulate because each game is separate. I agree so long as the game is not part of a campaign.
XP has a place where a character (that belongs to a player) participates in a campaign of several battles. Success in a campaign game therefore earns XP which is spent by the player to improve his character's skills. For example, 3 XP earned in a game to spend on fitness, weapon handling, demolitions, radio, driving, heavy weapons. (The list depends on what is implemented.) The gain in skills would represent how a recruit improves by experience in combat. If the character is killed then all is lost.
How XP is earned is another topic.
Perhaps you would agree that player skill is not something to program or allow for. The realism that is part of the game design remains within its limits without changing over time. Hence, being good at the game is a personal goal and why you would be part of a team.

Flare

Vanguard Backer
Personally I think none of that is needed at all. Just have no ranks/xp/skill etc, you just play the game. This is supposed to be a realistic sim type game, not a F2P grindy/progression kind of game.

The whole idea for the game has been to not have any of that. I think and really hope that that's the way it stays.

Status
Not open for further replies.