• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

YOLO gamemode

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmiedzianyy

When you die you are automatically directed to cookies4devs.com and you have to pay 10 milk chocolate cookies for each death.

litchu

In all seriousness though, there should be a gamemode where you are limited to only 1 live so people actually play like they care about their life.. not like me who runs into everything and dies instantly

drummer93

In all seriousness though, there should be a gamemode where you are limited to only 1 live so people actually play like they care about their life.. not like me who runs into everything and dies instantly

RnL doesn't have that system, and you really care about your life. I play with fear all the match.
In other hand, I'm not against this kind of mode, but personally I won't play it. You could have some issue, like a connection problem or something like that, and if you can't play again is really frustrating.

Simon

When you die it deletes System 32, crashes your internet, makes whole street go out of power, NSA hunts you down, FBI breaks into your house....

I like it !

Aniallator

TW's mechanics aren't suited to a one-life game mode; on top of large maps, many features (rally points, and so on) are tailored for respawning. While one-life game modes are fun in fast-paced close quarters games like Insurgency, I don't think they do well in games like TW.

Alex

this could be a nice suggestion for heroes and generals. how about have it uninstall once you die?

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
I had spent some time thinking about one-life modes in general and how they work in shooters. My conclusion was at that time that while they are fun for the first few times the novelty soon fades away, and they easily get tedious when coupled with very long rounds.

In my opinion the only way this can work if it's a game like World of Tanks or War Thunder where you can jump into action soon-ish again...

But I did have few ideas of how to prevent "mushroom spawning" - the situation where teammates spawn on the squadleaders and tend to pop out like mushrooms despite your best efforts to eradicate the enemy squad. This situation usually does not lead to satisfying game-play on either side but degrades into a vicious spawn-die-spawn circle.

So a few ideas:
- spawn (rally ?) points are destructible objects, such as radios that can be destroyed to prevent the players from respawning instantly

- blocked spawns like in PR or FH2 when enemies are directly near the spawn point

- a "squad wipeout" mechanic - when a fireteam is down to X players because of deaths they can't respawn on the rally anymore and need to regroup away from the frontline. This only works if the players in a fireteam stick reasonably close, because a few teammates sitting in mainbase can make a never disappearing spawn-point.

- limited number of respawns per fireteam. Somebody once suggested this on the FH2 forums. Basically emulate a bigger fireteam than the real number of players in it. When the tickets run out they all need to spawn somewhere safer.

Just my 2 eurocents, I'm sure the TW devs will think of a solution that will suit TW gameplay.

FlyingR

Before they start implementing other types of game-modes there's a long list of things that they have/want to do which includes the game itself, the next Chapters, possibly next Theatres, larger number of players per game, and such. In my opinion this YOLO gamestyle defeats the purpose of what TW is trying to do. I would prefer to see Co-op style (against bots) if anything, different Theatres or maybe different vehicles (planes please!).

Aniallator

- spawn (rally ?) points are destructible objects, such as radios that can be destroyed to prevent the players from respawning instantly
I can see this, however it depends on how many spawns a rally will allow before it disappears. Assuming rallies take ten or so spawns to disappear then I imagine it's fine... you should have to use explosives to destroy them though, so they can't be shot and destroyed from long distances. One grenade would be fine. This is all assuming that rallies will be implemented as a physical object.
- blocked spawns like in PR or FH2 when enemies are directly near the spawn point
Of course, yes. However, I think there needs to be a minimum number of enemy players within X meters of a spawn point to block spawning; it doesn't make sense if just one or two enemy players can get near the spawn and block the spawn point, and of course the block distance can't be too big, and ought to vary depending on the flag.
- a "squad wipeout" mechanic - when a fireteam is down to X players because of deaths they can't respawn on the rally anymore and need to regroup away from the frontline. This only works if the players in a fireteam stick reasonably close, because a few teammates sitting in mainbase can make a never disappearing spawn-point.- limited number of respawns per fireteam. Somebody once suggested this on the FH2 forums. Basically emulate a bigger fireteam than the real number of players in it. When the tickets run out they all need to spawn somewhere safer.
Personally not sure about the last ones, I think there are too many circumstances that could abuse a squad wipeout mechanic (though it's a good idea); same goes for limited respawns per section, because say there's a heavily contested flag, the keystone to the whole map, and most of the sections are engaged there; if no one takes the flag immediately, then before too long sections would have to start respawning further and further back for want of spawns.

Esu21

I can see this, however it depends on how many spawns a rally will allow before it disappears. Assuming rallies take ten or so spawns to disappear then I imagine it's fine... you should have to use explosives to destroy them though, so they can't be shot and destroyed from long distances. One grenade would be fine.

On the other hand,if enemys can shoot at a rally point its because is not correctly hidden. Making enemys able to destroy rally points just by shooting them (although light weapons like pistol and maybe sniper rifles would do nothing) would make squad leaders want to search the best tactical and well-protected point to put one, like a house or a bunker.

Maybe making that destroying a rally point takes 2 Thompson/MP40 mags or just one grenade/explosive would make that explosives are prefered in these situations

Aniallator

On the other hand,if enemys can shoot at a rally point its because is not correctly hidden. Making enemys able to destroy rally points just by shooting them (although light weapons like pistol and maybe sniper rifles would do nothing) would make squad leaders want to search the best tactical and well-protected point to put one, like a house or a bunker.

Maybe making that destroying a rally point takes 2 Thompson/MP40 mags or just one grenade/explosive would make that explosives are prefered in these situations

I'd prefer if only explosives can be used, because regardless of the circumstances I don't think you should be able to destroy a rally (again, if that's even a thing) from a distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.