• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Your favorite WWII related video games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feldmeijer

Should make an interesting topic eh?

My favorite games would consist out of Hearts of Iron III, Darkest Hour, War in the East/West (da, I haz both) and that oldy named Steel Panthers.

War Thunder isn't that awful either.

Sydd

Should make an interesting topic eh?

My favorite games would consist out of Hearts of Iron III, Darkest Hour, War in the East/West (da, I haz both) and that oldy named Steel Panthers.

War Thunder isn't that awful either.

Anyone try the tank simulator game called Tiger vs T-34? I quite liked it. Other games I played which were ww2 related are:

Free to play:
World Of Tanks, World of warplanes (Beta tester) < This fkin sucks don't even think about getting this its like trying to fly a 60 ton tank with a 200 hp engine., World Of Warships, War Thunder

Paid:
CoD 2 ( I really loved this title, first CoD game I ever played and love it to this day.) CoD: Roads to victory (PsP title) Medal Of Honor: Allied assault (My first ever fps game, this one.. I can still remember I was around 9 years old and I'd try to use the arrow keys to move around but he wouldnt move and then the wsad keys made no sense to me, "Why not use arrow keys?" I remember asking myself. Medal Of Honor: Airborne CoD: World at war (Loved this title as well) Battlestations: Pacific.
Heroes over Europe (arcade plane game), Blazing Angels: Squadrons of ww2, Secrets of ww2 (Very arcady but played it when I was young) IL-2 Sturmovik: Fml simulator and the trouble I initially had :p Worth it tho' T-34 vs Tiger Tank simulator.

hannibaldinski

TW Developer
I'm revisiting the my early years. Two recommendations:

Close Combat and Achtung Spitfire!

Real classics. Played some LAN matches with my dad. Good things!

Killen

I loved a lot CoD 1,2,4 and 5. All brothers in arms as well.
Medal of Honor Pacific Assault and Airborne are ones of my favorite ww2 games.
Don't forget Wolfenstein 3D :p

volcol

Nothing will ever replace wwiionline for me, Sadly I have next to no time to game anymore :( - but going back to my first battles within the game in 2006 (nearly ten damned years ) I look back so fondly.

Sydd

Nothing will ever replace wwiionline for me, Sadly I have next to no time to game anymore :( - but going back to my first battles within the game in 2006 (nearly ten damned years ) I look back so fondly.

Indeed. The nostalgia you feel is unreal. If you look at the AAA games today you kind of tend to notice they are heading slowly into future warfare with mecha and super suits and stuff. I always wondered if there's anyone out there that wishes they remake the ww2 series again with the amazing graphics with the ability to pay both factions. Imagine something like Medal Of Honor: Airborne with graphics equivalent to that of Witcher 3 or better and the improved physics... *Sigh*

FlyingR

Battlefield 1942, WWIIO, IL-2 1946. ****ing nostalgia man. I was usually a pilot in all the games.
BF1942/Forgotten Honor was fun as hell. We had an all pilot clan, and we ruled the skies!
Being a pilot in WWIIO was amazing, the dogfights, skies filled with planes and flak. I feel you [MENTION=155]volcol[/MENTION]
Il-2 1946, best WWII flight simulator ever. I have to buy a new joystick soon!

Then other games, Company of Heroes, Battlestations, early CODs and MOHs.

mmiedzianyy

Call of duty: 1, UO, 2, WAW.
Medal of honor: AA, Spearhead, Breakthrough, Airborne.
Brothers in Arms: Hill 300, Earned in Blood, Hell's Highway.
Red Orchestra: Ostfront, 2 & Rising Storm
I quite liked WarThunder, spent arround 200hrs in this game and Enemy Front.

All this games i really cherish and have great moments playing them, but nothing compares to 1st games i've ever played in WWII theatre: MOH AA and COD2. (Yes, cod2 not the 1st one).
Nostalgia, ah nostalgia.

I wonder when we'll be able to play a next gen FPS WWII game.
Maybe BiA in 2016?
Or TW? HIHIHI

Timberwolf

Battlefield 1942, Forgotten Hope 2, Medal of Honor Airborne (those paradrops!), Company of Heroes, Red Orchestra 2 (and Rising Storm) and War Thunder (Say what you will about the dubious nature of Gaijin, their game is a lot better than those made by Wargaming (WoT and WoWp)).

That's about it. There are a lot of honorary mentions, but I'd have a list too large to post here.

I quite liked WarThunder, spent arround 200hrs in this game
1013 hours and counting.

P.S. There used to be a time when the gaming market was oversaturated with WW2 games. These days it's undersaturated. When it comes to shooters, anyway.

Feldmeijer

Battlefield 1942, Forgotten Hope 2, Medal of Honor Airborne (those paradrops!), Company of Heroes, Red Orchestra 2 (and Rising Storm) and War Thunder (Say what you will about the dubious nature of Gaijin, their game is a lot better than those made by Wargaming (WoT and WoWp)).

That's about it. There are a lot of honorary mentions, but I'd have a list too large to post here.

1013 hours and counting.

P.S. There used to be a time when the gaming market was oversaturated with WW2 games. These days it's undersaturated. When it comes to shooters, anyway.

Dah, spend around 500 hours by now in-game, just can't get enough of it.

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
Definitely FH2, I probably have over 500 hours combined there, and the same goes for FH1 and its minimods.

After that Men of War series and its mods (and its predecessor, Faces of War), Company of Heroes and mods (Blitzkrieg, Eastern Front, Europe at War), Brothers in Arms (although I lost a few of the physical copies I bought). War Thunder is a new one for me but flying there still sucks for me because joystick users have severe disadvantage. Tanking is a bit better but I just hate the grind.

I used to like H&G in the beta too, but after they went P2W and brought weird Russian equipment I don't like it anymore.

Oh, and I also used to be an avid Battlefield Heroes player, back then when it was still rooted in a comic version of WWII before aliens, knights and Mexican wrestlers took over... All gone now though...

And I forgot the classics: COD1 & COD2 & MoH. Although I haven't played them in years they still rank as one of the finest examples of WWII ghost train shooters ever made.

I don't play RO2 often anymore, but it is a very well made modern WWII shooter (except for some of the crowded, small maps).

Last edited:

Timberwolf

And I forgot the classics: COD1 & COD2 & MoH. Although I haven't played them in years they still rank as one of the finest examples of WWII ghost train shooters ever made.

Ah yes, CoD 1. I remember the constant "Bist du verrückt?" every time you start a round as the germans.

Status
Not open for further replies.