• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

70th Anniversary of WWII.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer
I find it very disturbing people call it a anniversary. Anniversary sounds so happy, like if your working somewhere for 25 years and have a reception 'Happy anniversary!'.

Plus, did the war started with Britain declaring war? Maybe for the Brits but for me the war started in Poland on Septembre 1 1939. But alot of people also include the Japanese invasion of Manchuria (China) to WW2 but in my opinion thats more a prologue, just like the Spanish civil war, etc.

dajinni

A fair point, I am just quoting the article.

It is the BBC, after all ;)

I believe they are refering to the Declaration of War. Until that point, both sides were trying their hardest not to use the 'W' word ...

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I've always thought that the Second World War started with the declaration of war by Britain and France. Don't get me wrong the invasion of Poland was the catalyst after a long build up but for me that was the actual start.

VonMudra

For me it started when China was invaded by Japan. If you're going to go by when the first combatants started, then that's it. So the real anniversary was back in 2007.

Sir Apple

I'm not sure why people get offended by Anniversary. It has multiple meanings:

Anniversary means a day that >>commemorates<< and/or celebrates a past event that occurred on the same day of the year as the initial event. ;)

And celebration can be put into context as honoring those who lost their lives in defense of their freedom - giving them proper recognition.

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer
It just gives me wrong feelings.. Can't help it. Maybe because English is not my native language I link it too much to the happy side.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
That's most likely it - in the UK we use the word to commemorate things such as death so using it in a WWII context makes more sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.