• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

A few questions on some German uniforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

Let's start off with the M36 tunic.
First of all, I see some M36 tunics with some white lining on the collar, does anyone know what this represents?
Because a lot of other M36 tunics don't have this.
http://i.imgur.com/zx9yeJo.png

Now, for the as for a General tunic.
I now see some red lining running along down the tunic, does anyone know what this represents?
Same as for the other one, a lot of other tunics do not have this.
http://www.achtung-blitzkrieg.com/acatalog/WoolGeneralTunic500.jpg

Thanks!

volcol

I'm not entirely sure but it may have something to do with whether they're dress tunics or parade tunics. Queue mudra with the answers :D

VonMudra

The collar stuff is tresse, it is worn by NCO ranks (unteroffizer-stabsfeldwebel). It historically used since the Napoleonic Wars, and was present on all NCO tunics in WW2, though by late war was often in a subdued, non-shiny material, and sometimes only on the corners of the collar, rather than wrapping all the way around the edge. Here's some examples:

Two German NCOs captured in Normandy:

Here we see two examples, one of the metallic tresse on the left, and the subdued tresse on the right.

Fallschirmjager at Monte Cassino, you can see the tresse wrapping around the whole outer edge of the collar:

This example shows a Feldwebel (Master Sergeant basically) tunic for a member of the Afrikakorps, with the tropical subdued tresse:

Now on parade tunics, it was worn in the more traditiona, formal manner, following the TOP edge of the collar, rather than the bottom edge, as it would have in earlier standing collar tunics:

Now, the red piping on the General's tunics is just to make them look nice. Purely a traditional fashion design again dating to the Napoleonic Wars. Red was the traditional colour of Generals and General staff, and so was worn by Generals as the backing for their shoulderboards and collar insignia, as piping on the tunic, and red stripes on the trousers. General staff were also allowed the red striping on their trousers. This red was also used by the artillery (red being a traditional colour for artillery in many many armies, including the USA). Thus, on enlisted parade tunics for the artillery, they also got red piping for their tunics and shoulder boards, plus red filler on their collar litzen, like so:

And just to clarify, here is an actual General's service tunic:

This one in specific belonged to Generalleutant Dr. Hans-Joachim Barnewitz:
http://www.themarshalsbaton.com/gen uniforms and groupings.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.