• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

A list of suggestions before I lose Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

drummer93

Talking again about the Lebel, I have a question for the devs. Can we be able to stop the reloading? I mean, something similar to the reload system for shotguns that is implemented in most of the shooter games. It could be great if we could reload the amount of bullets we want (and not the 10 rounds obligatorily)

Aniallator

Talking again about the Lebel, I have a question for the devs. Can we be able to stop the reloading? I mean, something similar to the reload system for shotguns that is implemented in most of the shooter games. It could be great if we could reload the amount of bullets we want (and not the 10 rounds obligatorily)

I'd like an option for this too, as something we can enable/disable; manual reloading where not only are you reloading manually, but you manually reload one round at a time (so you have to press R once for each round), instead of pressing R once and all the rounds being loaded.

drummer93

I'd like an option for this too, as something we can enable/disable; manual reloading where not only are you reloading manually, but you manually reload one round at a time (so you have to press R once for each round), instead of pressing R once and all the rounds being loaded.

I was thinking in the classical system. Press R to reload and left click (fire) to interrupt it. Other system I like is used by the game Alien: Isolation, where you have to hold down the reload button to reload the revolver or the shotgun, and you can load the amount of bullets you want.

Veers

Whether hand signals are implemented or not, at least have this to go along with pointing: when holding whatever key, you hold your arms up (or one arm if you have a heavy weapon) and wave your arms above your head. For example, if you as an SL set up the section Bren outside town to cover the section as it advances, and you've arranged for the Bren gunner to regroup with the section when you deliver a signal, this would be a great way to signal in this instance and any instances involving communicating something over a distance.
I was thinking about something like this (excuse my horrid paint skills):
Qrose.jpg

A hand signal rose, like the voice command rose in PR
(Point means to point with your arm at where you're looking)

FlyingR

View attachment 1380

Yeah I did mention something like that in another thread. There would also be "Get Down", "Grenade Out"
I mean, they could use the same system, like you did. MOVE UP/COME so left click would be MOVE UP and right click would be COME.

Aniallator

I was thinking in the classical system. Press R to reload and left click (fire) to interrupt it. Other system I like is used by the game Alien: Isolation, where you have to hold down the reload button to reload the revolver or the shotgun, and you can load the amount of bullets you want.

Some games have that, where left clicking cancels reloading, but it always feels abrupt and jagged. I can see this in TW if it's implemented to feel as smooth as possible.

I've thought about a commo rose, but to be honest, I'd prefer if hand signals were bound to keys, for one simple reason: ease of access. For example, if you're an SL, and you want - you need - to signal your section to halt, it's a good bit faster to just press a key than to have to enter a commo rose and mouse select what you want to do. If you want to wave to your section that it's safe to advance across a field, or point in the direction of an MG position that just opened up fire, you need to be able to do so in an instant. Ease of access, for some hand signals more than others, is key; if it takes more than a half second, it's too long. However, this is one of those things that could be customizable; you should be able to choose if you want to toggle a hand signal through a key binding, or through a commo rose.

LOL and what are you talking about, horrid paint skills xD

FlyingR

I've thought about a commo rose, but to be honest, I'd prefer if hand signals were bound to keys, for one simple reason: ease of access. For example, if you're an SL, and you want - you need - to signal your section to halt, it's a good bit faster to just press a key than to have to enter a commo rose and mouse select what you want to do. If you want to wave to your section that it's safe to advance across a field, or point in the direction of an MG position that just opened up fire, you need to be able to do so in an instant. Ease of access, for some hand signals more than others, is key; if it takes more than a half second, it's too long. However, this is one of those things that could be customizable; you should be able to choose if you want to toggle a hand signal through a key binding, or through a commo rose.

The thing is that with commo rose if you get used to it, which you will, it's very fast. The good thing with commo rose is that you can walk while you are using it and still keep looking at the screen, however with key biding, for half a second or more, depending which key in the keyboard you will press, you will have to stop moving or look at the keyboard.

Also, with a commo rose you can have, as seen on Veers' picture, a lot of commands, where with key bindings you will be quite limited.

Aniallator

The thing is that with commo rose if you get used to it, which you will, it's very fast. The good thing with commo rose is that you can walk while you are using it and still keep looking at the screen, however with key biding, for half a second or more, depending which key in the keyboard you will press, you will have to stop moving or look at the keyboard.

Also, with a commo rose you can have, as seen on Veers' picture, a lot of commands, where with key bindings you will be quite limited.

All good points! Personally, I like having a handful of useful commands/signals bound to keys, so I can use them the moment I need to; I don't mind commo roses, but I hate how they clutter the screen, and when I'm using them in a tense combat situation my mouse always seems to overshoot the command I want to use xD However, if some form of commo rose is ever implemented in TW, I have no doubt that [MENTION=195]hannibaldinski[/MENTION] will implement it to be minimalist and smooth. And, as I said, this is something that could be customizable; me, I would bind some of the more useful commands/signals and rely on the commo rose to use the rest.

Veers

I don't mind commo roses, but I hate how they clutter the screen
Fine then
Lets use the TF2 commands then, shall we?

badadadada.png

These are the ones I just quickly made.
How they work:
1. Press 'Hand Signal' button
2. Find what hand signal you want to use
3. Say I want to use "Get Down!" I press 1
4. It'll do the hand signal

(I personally think the "point" command should be assigned to a button for more convenience.)

But wait, you might say, how much space does this take up?
Well, look at TF2.
20160317160133_1.jpg
You see that at the left? Thats how much space it takes up.
So you can have the same number of commands while taking up a lot less space.

Aniallator

Probably the last time I can post before I'm out of Wi-Fi range for a month or two, so here are a few more things to throw out there.

1. When they're implemented, randomized hull/plate numbers for vehicles. For example, rather than all Panzer IV Ausf. Hs being Panzer X, or all Bedford QLDs having license plate Y, having randomized numbers so no two vehicles have the same one? I know this seems pretty inconsequential, but I think it's one of those features that when players see it, they'll think "Damn, these guys thought of everything."

And I'm sure it's planned, but all German vehicles having attached foliage. You just have to watch German footage during Overlord to know that like 90% of all German vehicles in Normandy were literally covered in attached foliage.

2. I think it'd be a huge immersion boost to still display weapons that aren't equipped on characters. For example, when you have an LMG that's not equipped, it becomes slung over your right shoulder and hangs horizontally against your right hip. When you have an AT weapon or a rifle that's not equipped, it becomes slung across your back from the left shoulder. When you have an SMG that's not equipped, it becomes slung from your right shoulder. All of these simulate the effects of weapons having slings, as they would IRL, but which, I imagine, are too difficult to create in-game (collision physics alone would be a nightmare). Speaking of collision physics, you shouldn't be able to prone if you have an LMG that's not equipped; the front half of the weapon would go through the ground. Trying to prone while not equipped on your LMG should result in you equipping your LMG, then proning. Not unrealistic, because IRL it'd be an awful idea anyway, for the same reason; you'd be shoving the barrel straight into mud and soil.

3. I'm sure there's some form of running animation in place now, but I may as well say it; the running animations the Axis have in RO2, the way everyone seems to run in war footage when their weapons aren't slung over their shoulders - running while holding whatever weapon you have in just your right hand - is not only realistic, but also just so happens to look incredibly sexy. Though unlike RO2, I think everyone, not just the Germans, should run like this. Based on the screenshot in the "New Year 2016" update, this animation may already be in place. Just please, implement it for all weapons, not just rifles! Actually make use of the Bren's carryhandle... it's called that for a reason.

Now, to further the idea of weapon randomization; all percentages would depend on map/unit. For example, a rifleman of the 21st Panzer or the 716th could have, say, a 65% chance of a K 98, a 20% chance of a Lebel, and a 15% chance of a G 98. By contrast, a rifleman of the 12th SS Panzer or the Panzer-Lehr would have a 100% chance of a K 98. Or, in the case of LMGs, a 100% chance of an MG 42. I think weapon randomization is especially crucial for weapons like the Lebel, MG 34, No. 1 Mk. III, and Ruby; I don't want to see these ignored, and I'd love to see different weapons dealt to all players on a historically accurate level. I guess this isn't universal, but I PERSONALLY think it'd be cool not knowing if I'm going to be issued X or Y weapons. It also adds a deeper sense of realism, because you can't just look at a guy with a Thompson and say off the bat "Ah, he HAS to be an NCO."

Also, having given it some thought, I think it's good magazines will be discarded upon reloading; on top of maintaining historical accuracy, it also encourages players to use every last round, and reload only when magazines are empty, resulting in more realistic gameplay.

FlyingR

Many of these ideas are actually good. I would also like to see weapons being displayed when not in use in their shoulders, back, whatever. The thing is though, that they should do these in later chapters because they are relatively small features whereas right now I think they are trying to finish the actual mechanics of the gameplay.

Aniallator

Many of these ideas are actually good. I would also like to see weapons being displayed when not in use in their shoulders, back, whatever. The thing is though, that they should do these in later chapters because they are relatively small features whereas right now I think they are trying to finish the actual mechanics of the gameplay.

Of course, yeah; I want to see the game as soon as we can :) But as you said, these are ideas that hopefully the devs can look into post-release.

I also want to add that attached foliage should be present not only on German vehicles, but also German emplacements; PaK 40s, and so on.

Aniallator

Oh, of course! Camouflage is a key aspect of warfare, an aspect that just about every FPS ignores. The only FPS games I know that employ camouflage are Arma 3 and RO2; in a limited role for the former, but in the latter, on some maps, the Japanese have foliage attached to their helmets and tunics, though its effect is limited by UE3... not an issue TW will have ;)

German soldiers should have limited randomization for foliage on their Stahlhelm and for wearing their zeltbahn, however these should be more common on combat units like the 12th SS Panzer, and less common on static units like the 716th. All German vehicles should have lots of attached foliage, as should German emplacements, though perhaps not MGs on Lafette mounts, or any emplacements located somewhere like a bunker complex where the need to blend into trees is rather diminished. Only British tanks should have randomized foliage.

By randomization, I mean something spawns as one of several available models; for example, playing as German rifleman, you may spawn with the Heer rifleman character model, you may spawn with the Heer rifleman character model that also has foliage modelled on the Stahlhelm, you may spawn with the Heer rifleman character model that's also wearing a zeltbahn, and so on. I think this would hugely benefit immersion, because you can't look at a guy that has foliage on his Stahlhelm and say "Ah, he has to be a sniper" or a guy wearing a field cap and say "Ah, he has to be an NCO", and so on. Not being able to distinguish different roles based on their character models would be a huge step forward from a lot of games like for example in Insurgency, where you know an insurgent is a machine gunner if he's wearing a red keffiyeh, or you know an insurgent is a sniper if he's wearing a white keffiyeh and a gray T-shirt.

Oh, and [MENTION=3429]Veers[/MENTION] I agree with the TF2-style system you suggested; Verdun has the same thing, and IMO it's better than a commo rose. There should be one for hand signals, and one for voice commands; when it's open, I think you should be able to use it by scrolling the mouse wheel over the signal or command you want, then left clicking (faster and simpler than pressing a number key). When issuing a hand signal your character should only conduct the signal, but when issuing a voice command your character should speak the command and conduct the identical hand signal.

I also want to touch on my suggestion for having normal positional and non-positional VoIP (the latter limited to SLs) as opposed to radiomen facilitating non-positional. One thing I hope to see in TW, something you don't see an awful lot in unorganized public servers, is coordination between different sections, where SLs communicate and coordinate with one another. Section-to-section coordination, especially between infantry sections and vehicle crews, is the next level of teamwork, and something I look forward to seeing and using in TW. I mean, how awesome would it be to actually employ blitzkrieg tatics between sections and armored vehicles! However, if a radioman is required for one SL to talk to another over a distance, I doubt this level of coordination will be very easy. With that on top of what I brought up in my original post, I hope the devs look into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.