• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

A short trip to Bastogne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

siben

It was early in the morning on december 29th when i was looking outside and saw it snowing. then it sudenly came to my mind that this might be the perfect moment to go visit Bastogne since i heard they renewed the local museums there so that it was worth the visit.

So off i went!
Photo 29.12.14, 10.15.17.jpg

Road conditions weren't perfect, so it took me more then the planed 2 hour drive. But i did not mind.
I was happy to arrive at the museum wile only seeing 1 bad accident on my way there.

2014-12-29 13.54.39.jpg

I am more of a person that enjoys the moment, so i don't take much pictures, but inside the museum i had no choice but the take at least this picture.

2014-12-29 12.18.04.jpg

Something that made me wonder in the museum was what on earth took out this sherman? The shell went in, seems to have set of quite an explostion, and almost got out the other side. The impression of the shell that did not pass the armour made me wonder, what coused it you think?

2014-12-29 12.47.29.jpg 2014-12-29 12.46.47.jpg 2014-12-29 12.46.35.jpg

After the museum we had to go to the monument ofcourse. So here i am in front of it.

Photo 29.12.14, 13.57.19.jpg

And here we have a lovely view of Basogne. Its there, somewhere, less then 1500 meters away.

2014-12-29 14.03.24.jpg

The mild snowing just stopped when i took this picture, but the snow and fog are surely giving a good impression of back then, even though it's not as cold.

Here is the La Roche-en-ardenne castle we passed on the way home. This town also has a lovely museum but it was already to late to do anything else then.

I hope you enjoyed!

litchu

I'd love to have joined you so next time give me a call :)

Eventhough I've already visisted the monument I havent been inside the museum becaus it was closed when I was there due to renewal ( july 2012 that was ). And that was summer so I didnt get the whole snow experience either sadly :/

VonMudra

AP itself doesn't have any HE element to it, and there are many variations on the AP design in terms of core and penetrator. That said, that shell could have been anything from a 75mm on up, considering the size and penetration.

siben

In my opinion the sherman got hit with 4 HEAT shells of witch 1 did not explode and 2 AP shells that could not penetrate the second layer of armour at the other side. I have no clue what calibre.

There seems to have been some sort of explosion, the metal is bended outwards.

I find it strange that they are all so close together though. Seems weird for combat damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.