• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Any other WW II games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
Err, What's FH2? I know PR is project reality... Never heard of FH2, yeah some of you would like to kill me but in my defense I live in the middle of a desert in a gold plated castle, its obvious I'm ignorant..

Forgotten Hope - News

FH2 is basically PR, just without all the bullshit that makes PR annoying (and awesome at the same time, depending on your mood/kicks). And it's set in WWII with oldschool bolt-action rifles, instead of all the full-auto-noobguns in PR.

Aniallator

Err, What's FH2? I know PR is project reality... Never heard of FH2, yeah some of you would like to kill me but in my defense I live in the middle of a desert in a gold plated castle, its obvious I'm ignorant..

It's a BF2 mod as well.

FlyingR

[MENTION=2672]Sydd[/MENTION]Forgotten Hope 2 a mod for Battlefield 2. FH1 is a mod for BF1942, while Forgotten Honor also for BF1942 which was more realistic than FH1.
[MENTION=1829]Pvt_Larry[/MENTION] I know what you mean, and I somewhat agree... sometimes it is annoying, but I prefer PR (there's no PR2) because overall is more realistic than FH2. It reminds me of WWIIO quite a lot in some ways and is more teamwork oriented than FH2.

Wulfburk

PR imo has some really good things i like, which is the no kill messages, no stupid hud, mumble... But those medics are indeed one of the most unrealistic things i've ever seen in my life, and i've been playing PR alot lately, and i kinda always go medic. (cause i cant do any other **** than medic and automatic riflemen so i go medic so squad leader dont ask me to do anything i dont know :) ) Worst thing about PR is how every freaking server only plays the 5 freaking maps ALL OVER AGAIN, Occasionaly you see in the pools some strange maps, but obviously they never win. Thats the reason FH2 is so good, it has what, 50 maps? And we get to play all of them, and i'd say only 2 maps are in their nature, BAD. (sidi bou zid and siege of tobruk

But seriously, PR ww2 is one of the biggest **** i've ever played in my life. Well, it isnt that bad, its just that if the WW2 maps pops on, i alt + f4 immediately and go play FH2 . The vietnam maps are good though.

Forgotten Hope 2 is the ultimate ww2 experience IMHO. Red Orchestra 2 and Rising Storm are really fun as well but the scale is quite small. Sad that they are going for vietnam now, was hoping for a british ww2 perspective game from Tripwire.

Now for other style of ww2 games, Hearts of Iron 3, Men of War with Dynamic Campaign Generator, Hidden & Dangerous 2, and CoH with Blitzkrieg mod, are all a must.

FlyingR

Worst thing about PR is how every freaking server only plays the 5 freaking maps ALL OVER AGAIN, Occasionaly you see in the pools some strange maps, but obviously they never win.

You're right, the map rotation is always similar: Muttrah, Operation Archer, Pavlov Bay, Fallujah West, etc... at least in Co-op which it's annoying. Usually though, the admins on the server ask for what type of map and which map to play, so it allows the player to choose and vote a wanted map.

Decide man, is PRWWII good or bad? PRWWII is still in its Alpha mode, wait until the full mod comes out.

I don't know... I have played both, but honestly I felt that PR was more of a realistic experience compared to FH2. Besides, teamwork is very essential to achieve victory, it's all about teamwork in PR.

In my opinion, the most realistic WWII games are WWIIO, IL-2 1946, and Company of Heroes.

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
... and Company of Heroes.

And that's where you lose all credibility. :p
CoH might be realistic if you are willing to squint a bit and imagine you're actually a Company Major sitting in the HQ and moving troops around and you somehow get this really cool visualization of how the battle is going. Blitzkrieg mod makes it more enjoyable but it still requires a wild imagination to not laugh at the giant tank figures shooting each other at ranges of max 10 meters while swarms of infantry are dying in the open around them.

On every other realism aspect MoW on hard difficulty wins, hands down. The only problem with MoW is that A.I. is really retarded more than half of the time, squad management is kinda clunky, and to really succeed in winning anything you need to play it slowed down to the point it becomes a three hour slow-mo special where everything is overly dramatic and filled with lots of Michael Bay explosions.

Roughbeak

PR and FH2 are probably the best modifications I have ever played, but you have to realize is this, they are totally two different games trying to do two different things. To keep it short, one is set in modern times and one game is in WW2.

I really love both mods, but PR really does nag on you in the long run. I'm not biased here, but in FH2, I never had that problem. :)

FlyingR

As an RTS is the most realistic that I know of, forgot to mention that. I have never seen MoW, but I've Youtubed it and it seems nice, the maps are good! DDay mod looks really good but as you mentioned the A.I. is indeed retarded hahahaha and squad management is a bit annoying.

@Roughbeak yes they are different, but we were talking PRWWII mini mod (still in alpha), which is almost exactly like PR.
Well at the end, it all comes down to the player's preference. I enjoy a lot PR due to its realism in compared to other games, but all in all, for me the most fun WWII game is Battlefield 1942, hands down! They should make a new BF42 with a bit better graphics and a few changes here and there, that will be the perfect game!

Last edited:

Wulfburk

Like i said, PR WW2 is mediocre at best when comparing with FH2. More because i dont think PR's slow gameplay fits WW2 at all.

Also if you are playing FH2 on COOP, you are doing it wrong mate.

On MoW and COH, i was always a COH + blitzkrieg mod fanboy but lately, yeah MOW is much better IMO. And that dynamic campaign generator mod is really worthy of checking it out. Has all the campaigns like Operation Compass, el alamein, eastern front, italy all that.

Aniallator

IMO PRWW2 could be far better if they maintained some historical accuracy. I mean, Pershings on D-Day? Come on...

As far as PR's concerned, however, I prefer it over FH2.

FlyingR

Like i said, PR WW2 is mediocre at best when comparing with FH2. More because i dont think PR's slow gameplay fits WW2 at all.

Also if you are playing FH2 on COOP, you are doing it wrong mate.

On MoW and COH, i was always a COH + blitzkrieg mod fanboy but lately, yeah MOW is much better IMO. And that dynamic campaign generator mod is really worthy of checking it out. Has all the campaigns like Operation Compass, el alamein, eastern front, italy all that.

Man, PRWWII is still in alpha testing! You can't judge the game until it's completely out. I'm assuming that TW will be a slow gameplay, because when the game is more realistic, there are many things to take into consideration so you need to stop and plan the next move. However, it all depends on the players, they are the ones who make the game fast or slow really.

I think you meant PR, not FH2, but yeah, I mainly play deployment, from time to time I play Co-op.

If PRWWII is not realistic in its full release it will be a waste and I'm going to get really mad.

mmiedzianyy

That propably will never change with games like this.
Money change market, and the best money are in games like COD, CS or Battlefield. Easy to master, accesible to everybody.
Effective trailers, agressive marketing.. lots of people are buying games because of that i think.
But who knows.. maybe im wrong, maybe TW will change that. I really really cherish to this.

FlyingR

Also, big companies like EA Games all they do is publish 50000 games, plus a good one every year. 10 years ago you didn't have a Battlefield or a COD every year... Battlefield 1942 still is being played today. Now, every year, there's a new game of the franchise... COD, BF, etc. You don't completely play the game as a whole and they are making you buy a new game which is annoying as ****, but quick and big money for the companies. Additionally, all the games are almost similar, what improves is the graphics and some shitty things which doesn't change the game completely. Good, classic games will last for a long time, Age of Empire, BF1942/2, CS 1.6, etc.

Sadly, TW won't change thing, just like WWIIO didn't. I mean, there is still no game like that. I believe the attention of the the majority of the players is narrowing and they want something fast and simple, kill and respawn fast, with perks and ranks, big booms and cool weapons. WWII and Future weapons is not preferred over present weaponry. Games like WWIIO, PR, and TW is too intricate and complex for people's mind and patience.

People buy it because it's a trend, they want to fit in, have the newest stuff, they get bored easily, they want to be part of the "hype" and all that bull ****. Marketing is doing something right because they make people buy millions of copies of games in less than 24hrs, and each year is more and more.

In my opinion what will happen with a game like Squad is that people spent a lot of money donating and investing, and then not even a year after, a big group of that people will stop playing it completely. As usual only dedicated players will still be in the servers. It's what is happening with PR. Now that is free many people are joining, but after a while they will stop.

Aniallator

But they won't have to buy TW :D

You're right though, and it's a sad truth. Quality games like TW will always be outstripped by quantity games like Battlefield.

Sydd

Why is it people stop playing games? Here's why... that particular franchise has already released a newer game which supposedly has better graphics etc. OR, the competitor does a better job with the game they released. Or there can be computer issues. When it comes to the AAA games not everyone can play them, exactly one month ago, I certainly wouldn't have spent 2 days downloading 2k textures and enb presets for skyrim. Not everyone is as lucky as me to get a 3k $ gaming pc.

Point is, there are various reasons why people leave and you should blame it on corporations like EA that want to hog money and therefore force devs to release games in a span of a year, unable to completely rework from the ground up in that short period of time, they take what they have and try their best to make it as unique as possible. This is the reason why games are poorly optimized cause the devs never really get enough time to do anything about it.

Players dont get bored easily, they get dissatisfied easily because of bugs or glitches or are attracted to other games or simply dont have enough horse power to run the game... So players stop playing and ofc only a core remains.

This I highly doubt will affect TW. Here's how: It will be as realistic as it can get, or so it seems judging from all the suggestions. Not everyone is into this type of game, I started to like these realistic games after arma 3. So I am getting into the realism business, mind you I know I will not be the only one and there will be others like me.

The devs here have no pressure from idiots like EA who give them a deadline... which means a very very polished game with minimal bugs at release unlike a broken ps4 batman game with only normal and low settings locked at 60 frames.

Devs are listening, they are taking suggestion, this is a game being made out of love, not greed. Games that took their time to be released into the market regardless of it being free or paid, you can tell that the game was made out of love, there was a quality story etc..

Which means players will be attracted to this game, ofc many many of them will come cry on the forums about no crosshairs, being killed with one shot to the chest nerf this, buff that etc and will leave. People who fancy realism will stay.

You can never hope that every single person will play the game, if you try to aim for the entire audience you will never satisfy any niche. Instead focusing on realism will attract peole like us who will be a core for this game, mark my words. Even more will join just by word of mouth, think of it like a youtuber, he's nothing but by hard work, he gets more and more subs until he gets about 100 subs everyday.

This game will be a great one and people will value that and continue playing it for ages to come, I know this game will live up to our expectations if not surpass them.

Heil TW, Heil General Naga!
Tw for life <3

Edit: @Ani: Germans went for quality, Allies went for quantity. Which tank do you think is more famous today, the sherman or the tiger? My point is, if there are many clones around you and you are unique among all of them, you will be recognized easily and appreciated for being different you see? All it takes is a little push and this game will become well known, then well populated.
My only gripe is how our community will shape at that time, lets face it we all know nerf this buff that threads will be incoming soon. :C

Last edited:

FlyingR

[MENTION=2672]Sydd[/MENTION], I just said most of that hahaha.

People do get bored, they get bored because they might not know how to play it, or they think they will like it and then be like **** this, I have to walk a lot or I cannot kill 50 people in one round, going to go play COD.

Sadly, the team does have pressure, not by EA, but by us the players. We do not pressure them directly, but if they take their time of their life to make the game, people will lose interest, get bored and leave.
There are more than 2000 members in this community, only less than a 100 are active? They are not all dissatisfied with TW, most of them got bored by waiting too much already and that by now they forgot about this game. This means when the game comes out around 70% or 80% of the now registered members will play (which is still not bad at all).

TW will gather a large audience, but in order to keep that large audience for a long time they will have to update and bring new maps, weapons and stuff, which they will with every new Chapter. That's how BF managed to stay for a long time too.

Once again, sadly, quantity excelled over quality. Did the Tigers make any real difference? Maybe small ones, but did it change the course of the war? No it did not, but I know what you are trying to say anyways, don't worry.

Aniallator

In the end, guys, it's hard to guess because while TW's a realism game and many will be discouraged by that, it's also free and has amazing graphics, something that attracts people these days. So we'll just have to wait and see. I wonder when we'll get our first "OP, nerf weapons, FFS add crosshairs! Vampir-equipped StG 44s FTW!" thread ;)

Killen

Hi guys, i am new here; i was looking for others ww2 tactical shooters like TW and i found Iron Clash. It looks interesting, but the project may have died.
Here's the main page:
Iron Clash (WIP) - Awar
Sorry for my english, i am trying to improve myself so feel free to correct me :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.