• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Bethesda suing Minecraft creators

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I think most people now know about the Bethesda suing Mojang - Notch's reaction is priceless however

Word of Notch said:
[h=2]Hey, Bethesda! Let’s settle this![/h]I am back, and I am excited.
Marriage has been wonderful so far, and nobody sabotaged my computer while I was gone.
The only negative thing going on at this moment is the Scrolls trademark lawsuit nonsense, and I think I came up with the perfect solution:
Remember that scene in Game of Thrones where Tyrion chose a trial by battle in the Eyrie? Well, let’s do that instead!
I challenge Bethesda to a game of Quake 3. Three of our best warriors against three of your best warriors. We select one level, you select the other, we randomize the order. 20 minute matches, highest total frag count per team across both levels wins.
If we win, you drop the lawsuit.
If you win, we will change the name of Scrolls to something you’re fine with.
Regardless of the outcome, we could still have a small text somewhere saying our game is not related to your game series in any way, if you wish.
I am serious, by the way.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I don't understand how you can trademark "scrolls" - afterall that's not what the games are called! :smug:

Edad Tace

from wikipedia:
"On 17th August 2011 Persson challenged Bethesda to a Quake3 tournament to decide the outcome of the naming dispute [14]."

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Anyone else prepared to pay good money to watch? Mojang could pay their legal fees with a pay-to-view-live setup :p

Edad Tace

Quote from World of Notch

Update on the “Scrolls” lawsuit, and a list of games
I’ve received some questions about what the status of the Bethesda lawsuit thing is. I don’t have much news, but I can try to summarize the recent events in a colorful way:

Lawyers have been sending papers back and forth, threatening each other with deadlines and court dates. “Why don’t we settle this in a mature way?”, one party asks the other. “Your MOTHER settles things in mature ways”, the other party cleverly retorts, “because of her age.”
Last thing I heard, we were a couple of weeks past a “super seriously, we will sue you for real this time” deadline, and letters are still being sent back and forth.

In other news, here’s a list of games I’ve been playing recently, and my thoughts on them:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Charmingly retro, with a totally rubbish tranq sniper rifle. Unfair boss fights, fun level layout. The level up perks are kind of uninteresting, but it’s still a lot of fun. Inventory management feels very Resident Evil 4, for good and for bad.
[edit: This makes it sound like I don’t like the game! That is incorrect. I love it!!]

Legends of Yore
I’m just getting started playing this more seriously. It’s a low res graphical roguelike made by one guy who I happen to know. Available on both phone types and on pc. I haven’t gotten deep into it yet, but it seems to have everything I want.

The Binding of Isaac
I got sneak peeks of this game, and it’s shaping up nicely. It’s a very lightweight action roguelike with plenty of dark humor and zelda references. Danny B’s done a great job on the soundtrack again, even if it makes me a bit depressed.

Diablo III Beta
No, just kidding, I didn’t get in. :(

gotta love it

Status
Not open for further replies.