• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

BF2 Korean War Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony817

Well, we kind of want to do our own thing regarding how weapons zoom and stuff. Also our HUD is kind of unique. Plus, there are no actual Korean War FPS, so we think we can bring something new and exciting to the BF2 modding community.

As far as a release date, we wanted to get something out by the end of the year but there is still a lot of work to do so not making any promises. We want to make the best Korean War FPS we possibly can.

We even got actual Koreans to do voice overs for the North Korean KPA and South Korean ROK forces.

Aniallator

Yeah, like PR, out tanks do also require a full crew to operate effectively. I watched Fury again for the 2nd time last night, so I can't wait for our Easy 8 Sherman to get added to the game. Tanks played a HUGE part of the Korean War, so we plan on making ground combat exciting and epic.

When we do eventually get the UK added, Gloster Hill is what I want to make their forces shine. I have been wanting that battle for a long time now, as that would be the most epic way to get the UK featured. It is funny that was mentioned by B.Kavanagh.

Well, we still have a lot ahead of us, and we are pretty ambitious as always.

Btw, we were going to have our old animator Chad509 on to help develop our animations, as I am sure you guys know him as he also worked on TW. He got his start with BFK but he is super busy so we had to replace him as he hasn't the time currently.

Also, have you guys heard from Sir Apple in a while? He is another TW dev that used to post on our old Battlefield: Korea forums. He and I were good friends back in the day but we lost contact with each other over the years.

Very cool!

Can't say I've seen anything from Chad in a long while, nor Sir Apple. TW needs more animators as well, it'd be interesting to know what Chad gets up to!

Anthony817

Yeah, Chad is still hanging in there, but he leads a very busy life and everything. Plus he lost about 10 years worth of work on a HDD that crapped out, so I know he must be feeling down about that.

Aniallator

Yeah, Chad is still hanging in there, but he leads a very busy life and everything. Plus he lost about 10 years worth of work on a HDD that crapped out, so I know he must be feeling down about that.

Damn, really? That's awful :( Ugh, hard drive failures are the worst... hope he comes out alright with that.

BTW, when did the BFK mod begin?

Anthony817

Ok, here is the short version.

In 2005 2 twin brothers in Germany wondered why on earth there was no Korean War FPS games. So, they decided to make a mod for BF2. They got a lot of content done, and in 2007 were even featured in the top 100 mods on Moddb and were nominated for best upcoming BF2 mods and were in 2nd place there.

Well, after a few closed betas, in 2009 basically all work stopped due to not being able to find more contributors to the mod, and nobody willing to rig our player models.

Fast forward to April of this year, and a guy from BFSP forums seen an old beta video I showed of our F86 Sabre and Mig15 dogfighting. He and I got to talking, and he wanted to help me get the mod fixed up, so the journey began.

I contacted the old Mod leader Zefan, and he hooked me up with all source files for the mod, and his old build as well as giving me ownership over the Moddb page.

In only 4 months, lots have already been added to the mod from other mods. We donated our old beta to PR and they used most of our weapons in PR, PR:V and PR:WW2, so most of our US weapons were given the full treatment up to PR standards.

I have been posting updates about once per month on Moddb, and have gotten a lot of people on board to help us out. We were given a lot of missing assets from other mods to help flesh it out more, and we just got a Coder and a 3D modeler/texture artist who can also rig and animate this past month.

Today I just got help from one of the PR mappers and he is gonna try his hand at a Mig Alley jet only map for us.

So, we are in a lot better shape than ever, and the road to getting it released looks brighter than it ever has.

FlyingR

Very interesting story mate, impressive how you started this a long time ago!

Let's hope you get that release this year! Will definitely want to play it!

Will you focus on Teamwork? Like PR or you have something different in mind?

Anthony817

Well, obviously Battlefield at it's core is very team oriented. Yes, you will benefit from each member of the team having a specific role to play and to help the other classes out. Not sure on what we want to do as far as new features. Right now we are focusing on getting the weapons fixed, and the characters. Then Static Objects and maps.

Our coder wants to set us up with some awesome custom shaders to try and give the old game some visual flare. We also have permission to use all the PR explosive/impact effects that the guy named Bruno made for them before he went on to work for Squad, so those will look as good as physically possible in the game.

Outlawz from Project Reality is also helping us with a jet only Mig Alley map, and my first impressions are very positive! Just playing it with bots, 64 jets all swirling around in a WW2-esque furball are really amazing. Think WW2 dogfights but faster. Remember, no lock on sidewinders here. Just good old fashioned gunfights. Lots of AA guns set up on there as well.

Right now we are still outlining our roadmap on what we want to do, but everything is falling together like puzzle pieces. It is shaping up quite nice.

Our Korean friends sure do like where we are thus far, even though not everything is perfect. The Korean voice actors have expressed much pleasure with what we have let them test for us.

So, we hope if we can please them, then everybody else will be easier to impress, since I am sure Koreans will be very critical of our work since they know the history of the war better than anybody else.

We are also trying to stay objective, and not skew it towards a propagandist view of the Korean War through the eyes of the East or West. We do want to stay neutral to stuff like that, as we are trying to honor the fallen soldiers/civilians on all sides of the conflict by trying to show younger generations the history in a somewhat fun but engaging way.

FlyingR

It's looking very good!

A part from the Il-10 (is that it?), Mig-15 and F-86 which other aircraft we will see? Bell Chopper, Shooting Star, Sky Raider?

Anthony817

I already showed off the Skyraider we have, but I am keeping another aircraft for a surprise. And yes it is supposed to be an Il-10 but it is actually an IL-2 as a placeholder until we can either edit the model or add a new plane.

Somebody is doing the finishing touches on another aircraft right now for us so in the future very soon we plan to show it off.

We do have a Sikorsky H19 transport chopper we passed a model to somebody to export and code for us but they have been super busy these past months so not sure how much longer we will have to wait on that.

Anthony817

Yeah um, your site is blocking it hahaha. It redirects from every other site I try, but no matter how I link it it is dead coming from this site. Well maybe the link in my signature will work for you? If not sorry to say but just google Battlefield: Korea.

FlyingR

Saw the pictures and it's looking great!

It will have the communication system of BF2 right? Or will it be different?

Anthony817

Due to the limited resources, and people working on it, it will be identical to BF2 communication system, commo rose and built in VOIP/text chat. I mean, for the size of our team, we are super lucky I even got the Korean voice over recorded and added for the North Korean KPA. That was one of the biggest things we got added. First release is looking to be around December 25th, so mark your calendars!

Aniallator

Due to the limited resources, and people working on it, it will be identical to BF2 communication system, commo rose and built in VOIP/text chat. I mean, for the size of our team, we are super lucky I even got the Korean voice over recorded and added for the North Korean KPA. That was one of the biggest things we got added. First release is looking to be around December 25th, so mark your calendars!

Damn, looks like I will be getting a game for Christmas :D

Anthony817

We have finally released Battlefield Korea after 11 long years of development! There are issues with the mod but we hope you can overlook them and just enjoy it for what it is, and see the potential in it. We will continue to polish it in the future, so we aren't finished with it yet!

Battlefield: Korea 1.0 file - Mod DB

Status
Not open for further replies.