• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingR

Yes what drummer (once again) said. As [MENTION=2186]mmiedzianyy[/MENTION] also mentioned, our community is not filled with noobs and assholes (I hope :p ) who **** around. I'm sure they won't spam the chatboxes. In PR it's quite rare that they spam in the chat, especially PvP.

Chat should be used for important messages like "my mic doesn't work, I'll brb to fix it" or something like that, that would allow teammembers or just SQL to know your situation. There should maybe be just squad chat so that you don't type game information (enemy location for example) to everyone just in case.
[MENTION=2672]Sydd[/MENTION], you need to restart mumble. When mumble doesn't work, you just go to desktop, and where your time, wifi signal, date, etc is, there will be a mumble icon as well, just turn it off and it will auto-restart.

Aniallator

You have used mumble but maybe not aware of it. We played PR together right? It starts a Mumble entity when you play PR and use VOIP ingame :)

Oh... then Mumble doesn't usually work for me either. Ninety percent of the time, I can't use VOIP in PR; when we played, I was talking on Teamspeak. But thanks Flying, I'll reboot Mumble next time I play :)

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
This is a great discussion and the sort I love to read :)

What about the different needs of individual casual players (after school/work just playing a few rounds on public servers) vs. organised players (clans/regiments playing on public or match servers)?

Crackonosh

our community is not filled with noobs and assholes (I hope :p ) who **** around. I'm sure they won't spam the chatboxes. In PR it's quite rare that they spam in the chat, especially PvP.
Well, it isn´t now, but wait for release, you´ll see what will happen.

BTW, will we get somth like Alpha before full release?

drummer93

I want to add something that could help too. In PR you can make some solicitations, like medical assistance and ammunition, through the keyboard that mark your position in the map (with a red cross for medical assistance, for example), and make the situation a lot easy when you need help. I know that maybe is not 100% realistic, but I prefer that than put a squad radio

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
BTW, will we get somth like Alpha before full release?

If we can do the testing properly in Closed Beta then almost certainly not.

Our philosophy isn't to show off incomplete work so publicly releasing an incomplete version of the game would be running finger nails down the chalk board of a soul... I won't completely rule it out but don't expect to see one.

Pvt_Larry

I want to add something that could help too. In PR you can make some solicitations, like medical assistance and ammunition, through the keyboard that mark your position in the map (with a red cross for medical assistance, for example), and make the situation a lot easy when you need help. I know that maybe is not 100% realistic, but I prefer that than put a squad radio

I'd say that this sort of thing would be alright by me, as well as text-chat that's team-wide or something like that. I mean, it seems to me like this is already something that would be difficult for beginers/casual players. It certainly doesn't help matters if they can't talk to or possibly find anybody.

Sydd

Okay so here are my thoughts on how communication should be implemented.

> Built in voice comms software: If its builtin to the game, you dont have to worry about going and downloading teamspeak or any other things, just plug n play, change settings on the fly etc.
> Chat options for enable or disable: Some people may prefer too realistic approach and dont like chat interfering, some may need it due to technical difficulties so having an option to enable/disable chat would be of great use.
> Radioman: If radioman is to be implemented, lock this option, you need to apply to be a radioman for the squad, if found not doing his job correctly, provide the commander with an option to replace him with another person in his squad, giving this another person an option if hes interested to become a radioman or not, this way.. you can minimize idiots running around with radios to who knows where at the same time not forcing someone to be a radioman if he doesnt want to be one.
> Comms at objectives and field hqs: These radios have a much higher range than the ones on the radioman and allow the team which secured the objective a greater range on comms provided they captured that particular hq. However, if an enemy manages to capture this objective.. They will have access to intel feeds such as enemy strategic positions such as mg nests, nearby tanks etc for a few seconds. However this radio can be destroyed by the team in order to deny the enemy any such intel. Allowing greater tactical advantages for every objective secured.

FlyingR

What about the different needs of individual casual players (after school/work just playing a few rounds on public servers) vs. organised players (clans/regiments playing on public or match servers)?

What you could do is to make it so that every dedicated server can enable and disable various options, just as some mentioned here. Like in (flight) sims, you have options of realism: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Full Realism and Customized. For example Beginner would have all options enabled making it easier for new players (example being able to see who's asking for medic/ammo in the map) whereas Full Realism would have all options toggled off (you would not be able to look who's asking for medic/ammo in the map, all through VOIP). This will set the level of realism to the admin's own preference as well as allowing the player to choose from a variety of servers with options similar or equal to his liking.

And to make it easier for the players, when you are looking for a server, there could be an option where you can choose between the different levels (Beginner, Inter, Adv, FR and Random) so that the players can search easily for their own preference/ability. Of course most beginners would go on the beginner servers and most experienced/most clans would opt for the Full Realism ones.

Since this game is quite realistic, I believe that having in-game Tooltips would be helpful to many people, both beginners and experienced. Maybe having a button to toggle it on/off could be good.

I believe that chat should only be allowed between squads or have at least 3 seconds between each chat that you post, or both. As I mentioned above, if you have team-chat/all-chat you can post enemy's position instead of using VOIP/Radio Operator, that why squad chat for the squad only is better. Also, if you can post every 3-5 seconds, this would result in less spam.

@Crackonosh , there will be noobs joining in for sure, but when they see that this is not COD they will leave fast. This will filter all the noobs out allowing people who want to play seriously play in peace.

Last edited:

Crackonosh

@Crackonosh , there will be noobs joining in for sure, but when they see that this is not COD they will leave fast. This will filter all the noobs out allowing people who want to play seriously play in peace.
Not really. Sure, many will leave, but biggest pains in the arse will still be there. I was thinking this some time ago too, but it just isn't guaranteed.

Aniallator

> Built in voice comms software: If its builtin to the game, you dont have to worry about going and downloading teamspeak or any other things, just plug n play, change settings on the fly etc.

Yes!

> Chat options for enable or disable: Some people may prefer too realistic approach and dont like chat interfering, some may need it due to technical difficulties so having an option to enable/disable chat would be of great use.

This is a must.

> Radioman: If radioman is to be implemented, lock this option, you need to apply to be a radioman for the squad, if found not doing his job correctly, provide the commander with an option to replace him with another person in his squad, giving this another person an option if hes interested to become a radioman or not, this way.. you can minimize idiots running around with radios to who knows where at the same time not forcing someone to be a radioman if he doesnt want to be one.

IMO the radioman needs to be in a "commander squad", where it's just him and the commander; if radiomen are thrown into normal squads, people won't know to follow the commander.

> Comms at objectives and field hqs: These radios have a much higher range than the ones on the radioman and allow the team which secured the objective a greater range on comms provided they captured that particular hq. However, if an enemy manages to capture this objective.. They will have access to intel feeds such as enemy strategic positions such as mg nests, nearby tanks etc for a few seconds. However this radio can be destroyed by the team in order to deny the enemy any such intel. Allowing greater tactical advantages for every objective secured.

I agree, unlike RO2 where static radios are scattered across the map, have them at objectives in TW; this gives objectives greater strategic value. However, were TW to have an FOB system similar to PR (where you can set up HQs that allow spawning), don't have static radios on the map (save for one at the teams' main spawns), and put a radio in HQs, so that when you're building an HQ you're placing a static radio as well.

Aniallator

For radios, there need to be three kinds; static radios, tank radios (for tanks that historically equipped radios), and those on radiomen. IMO radios need to be used for three things...

1. Communicating. You can speak over radios; and there shouldn't be more than one channel, so all your team's radios will hear you. When speaking on a radio, you ought to speak locally as well.

2. Relaying marked targets. In RO2, when an SL marks a target, the commander magically knows the moment it's been marked. Very unrealistic. You can whip out your binos, mark a target, and the tooth fairy informs the commander. Here's what TW ought to have...

SL: Looks through binoculars, marks target.
SL: Goes to radio, gets on radio, relays target.
Commander: Goes to radio, gets on radio, sees target SL relayed.
Commander: Requests artillery on target.

And please, please let us mark targets anywhere on the map, not just on enemies!

3. Requesting support. Commanders, of course, need to use radios to call in airstrikes and artillery.

Now, let's say you're playing as the Brits, and you capture an objective; the German radio in the objective ought to change into a British radio. You shouldn't be able to use enemy radios, just those belonging to your team.

Also, there are telephones scattered around the maps (in the bunkers in Merville Battery, in the bridge control house in Pegasus Bridge); how about we can use these too!

Sydd

Well, that's a lot easier, let's say someone were to come from a hard day at work and powers up TW, there's not really a difference between him and an organised clan.. how? Well he has to communicate with the team, regardless of them being an organised clan or not. The only difference between casual players and organized clans will be commitment to the game, how much time are they willing to commit into the game, with that being said Naga, or any other dev who can answer this,
In the suggestions thread it was mentioned that there will be clans in game right? My quesiton is, why would you provide clan functionality such as playing together under one banner whilst not permitting scrims? I believe that adding the option to scrim in any server or whatever should be allowed but not directly encouraged. This way players can get more pleasure out of teamplay where 2 organised clans go up against eachother. Also will you allow clan members to differentiate themselves from the others? Such as an emblem on their sleeve? Which can be customized? I realise its not entirely realistic but you could replace the actual emblem that this particular soldier would have... I think it would be a nice touch.

Aniallator

It'd be useful to have three VOIP settings when speaking; whisper, talk, and shout. For example, let's say talk VOIP is bound to the V key, and whisper VOIP is bound to the B key. You want to talk to your squad, so you hold/press V to talk, allowing anyone in, say, a ten meter radius to hear you. Or you want to talk to your squad, but there may be enemies near, so you hold/press B, allowing anyone in, say, a three meter radius to hear you. Of course, you should be able to toggle it, so once you've pressed V you'll always speak using talk VOIP, or once you've pressed B you'll always speak using whisper VOIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.