• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

In a teamwork-based game, communication is key to success. In TW, I see two fundamental ways of communicating to choose from; a more PR-based system, where there's positional VOIP as well as VOIP between squad leaders, between squad members, et cetera, or a more realism-based system, where you use positional VOIP or a radio to talk to your teammates.

While a PR-based system makes communicating simpler, it's not remotely historically accurate. A realism-based system, while being historically accurate, also encourages squadmates to stay together, or - if they seperate - to formulate a plan to regroup. Anyway, if a realism-based system is too much for some players, they can just use Teamspeak.

As for radios, what about having a static one at your team's HQ, plus a few static radios scattered throughout the map. And if there's a radioman class, make sure there's no more than one or two per team, seeing as they were company- or platoon-level. Ideally, the radioman would hang around the commander so the commander doesn't have to hang around static radios to request artillery and whatnot.

What do you guys want to see as far as communication in TW?

And I'm going to assume there's chat... please let us disable this! I want full immersion when I'm playing TW ;) Or, perhaps, just not have a chat? Players need to speak to one another. If you don't want to talk to your squadmates, why are you even playing?

Zainab

Well, I already asked about the communication in other thread.....Why u no answer General Naga \(>.<\)

Sydd

Have an option for enabling and disabling chat, as far as chat is concerned. Seriously if someone runs into trouble cause mics screwed he will have no idea what to do. As for comms.. I honestly don't know what to think, if a radioman is implemented there's no guarantee that he will stick to the commander. However if the entire team was to use radio with a fixed range... no idea what the range would be but different channels, one for squad, one for everyone around you. squad leads get 2 more channels in addition to this, one connecting to HQ (if there is a field commander) and the other connecting to all other squad leads... in that given range. if anyone were to use the comms network which is at a field hq his range would have increased to.. you know whatever the actual range of a radio would be.

Enemies in the area get static interference and some broken words when an enemy around them uses comms, this could get annoying if there are plenty so the static interference should last only about a second or so. So if an allied soldier walks in range of a german radio comm he will hear some static and a german soldier saying something in german..

Idk honestly tho' it could turn off a lot of people... when it comes to comms there are so many ways to go that it just confuses me outright. Also it would be great if the comms were actually built in and you didnt have to install any other third party stuff and you are given the option of testing out your voice comm settings the moment you power up your game for the very first time like teamspeak does.

Aniallator

That's a good point on chat, if someone's having mic issues you'll need chat to tell your buddies.

I think one of the devs mentioned using Mumble at one point? Not sure.

Sydd

That's a good point on chat, if someone's having mic issues you'll need chat to tell your buddies.

I think one of the devs mentioned using Mumble at one point? Not sure.

I despise mumble. I have a state of the art rig, I can't run mumble no matter what I do, are you sure they mentioned mumble specifically or they will be implementing the same sort of idea from mumble

Aniallator

I despise mumble. I have a state of the art rig, I can't run mumble no matter what I do, are you sure they mentioned mumble specifically or they will be implementing the same sort of idea from mumble

Well, it's on page one of the "Realistic suggestions!" thread.

5. 3D voice chat - Like Troy mentioned would give huge amount of realism into the game, since in the real ww2 there was no Teamspeak. :D

5) Mumble!

I've never used Mumble... any idea why you can't run it?

Last edited:

Sydd

Well, it's on page one of the "Realistic suggestions!" thread.

I've never used Mumble... any idea why you can't run it?

Well everything is fine, perfect yeah? in the settings but it simply doesnt let me use my mic or let me hear anyone else...

FlyingR

Oh come on Ani! There are many posts about this already! Bring them up rather than creating new ones! :p
I thought you said that TW already implemented a VOIP system already.

By the way, chat is quite important, it's a backup just in case. Maybe there should be an option of enabling it or disabling it, but I believe that Squad Leaders/Commanders/Admins should always have it visible just in case. I know it's annoying and not realistic, but sometimes technical problems can occur and the mic might not work, so might as well type it.

drummer93

I only want a proximity voice communication, and a chat to make easier the regrouping and things like that. Only radios for radio operators

Crackonosh

Just like Drummer said, I´d like some voice chat for comrades near ya, and usual chat for higher tactics. I just hope the chat won´t turn toxic like in US side in HnG :/

Crackonosh

Yeah, we need to be able to mute people on the chat and VOIP.
It wouldn´t help this much. I dunno if ya played HnG, but when playing as US you will find in chat only "Yo Momma", "n00b", "fvck yer strategy, l2p" and so on. And then they get angry when some Axis talks about using tactics on forums :rolleyes:

Aniallator

I played H&G a while back, and yeah, I remember all that sh*t being thrown on the chat. But a mute feature can solve that. If someone's being an as*hole in the chat, or on VOIP, you could open up the scoreboard and hit the mute icon next to the person's name; that way you wouldn't see their chat messages, and wouldn't hear them on VOIP.

Sydd

I only want a proximity voice communication, and a chat to make easier the regrouping and things like that. Only radios for radio operators

Have you played battlefield 3? In bf3 you have these morons running around with lmgs, and they carry ammo bags. when you run out of ammo you have to like chase them to the ends of the earth yelling ammo ammo and pray to god that they notice cause that never happens.

Now put a radio op in place of that support... I fear thats what will happen, none the less its what i'd suggest too if it werent for my only gripe which is shown in the video above.

Oh it does contain profanity so you have been warned.

Aniallator

Radiomen just allow the commander to call in artillery and stuff without a static radio, and talk to anyone else near a radio. It's not like it's the end of the world if your radioman is a treehugger, or if he runs off calling Hansel and Gretel, or skips away to frolick in the woods, or whatever it is radiomen do.

mmiedzianyy

Have you played battlefield 3? In bf3 you have these morons running around with lmgs, and they carry ammo bags. when you run out of ammo you have to like chase them to the ends of the earth yelling ammo ammo and pray to god that they notice cause that never happens.

Now put a radio op in place of that support... I fear thats what will happen, none the less its what i'd suggest too if it werent for my only gripe which is shown in the video above.

Oh it does contain profanity so you have been warned.

Yes! And it's so annoying!
But the difference is that, in TW there will be supportive players which will look after for each other.
BF3 is arcadish game and 90% of players don't care if someone is running out of ammo or whatever. Only medic counts i can say.
Im sure that this won't happen in Traction wars :)

Sydd

@Sydd haha very ilustrative. Yes I understand, but what do you propose to solve this?

Lol just felt like adding some humor. How do i propose to solve this... hmm idk, humans are unreliable.. it can work but what exactly is a radioman? basically a rifleman with radio so idk how many people would be attracted to try out a role as unique as that, maybe have stationary radios at crucial points on the map or on field hqs and capture points (strategic points one may have to cap) making it a strategic advantage over the enemy. better communication in that particular area, radio range for all operatives boosted in that particular area. I could brainstorm a lot more and come up with a more polished suggestion but so far this is what I can think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.