• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Community Questions #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaverickFM

Pathfinder Games

Following our State of the Game update at the beginning of the month this week we thought we would answer some of the questions submitted since by the community.

Q1. Will different weapon calibers have different performance?
Yes! We are doing our best to relate real-world statistics of different weapon calibers into Traction Wars. This will mean a Bren .303 round will have more stopping power and a greater suppression effect than a 9mm Sten round.

Q2. What equipment will engineers have?
There will be no Engineer kit in Chapter 1 but engineers do feature in some of our ideas for future chapters.

Q3. Will Traction Wars use picture-in-picture (PiP) for scopes?
As much as we love the system, there is no native support for it in CRYENGINE. This would require rendering the scene twice - once inside the scope and once outside. We will be working hard to make sure the scope effect looks natural when you zoom in but for C1 there are no plans for PiP.

Q4. How will VOIP be implemented in TW?
VOIP is an area we are still experimenting with. At the moment the plan is for the Squad Leader (NCO) to be able to communicate with other SLs when within a certain radius of the squad’s radioman, but otherwise only positional VOIP will be available to players.

Q5. Will the game have gore?
Gore as a concept can go quite in-depth, their will be blood splatter when you hit an enemy but there will be no body destruction in Chapter 1.

Q6. Will there be Destructible Environments?
Some items (such as lights) will be destructible in Chapter One. We are keen to implement wider destructible environments but it has a lot of consequences, particularly how the network can handle multiple pieces of debris; where they are, where they are going, and registering who and what they have hit and how much damage players will receive. Without a dedicated Network Programmer to optimise these scenarios it is difficult to achieve right now in a multiplayer-only environment . So this is something on the list for a future chapter.

Q7. After the Chapter One, which nations will appear in Traction Wars?
We are fully focused on developing Chapter 1 and have not made any dedicated plans for the next Chapter, but many of the commonly requested nations are already on the “long list” for the future.

Q8. How effective will camouflage be in the game?
Balancing grass draw distance is always something on our mind, and we will do our best to get it right with optimisation and gameplay in mind.

Q9. How will matches end?
The win conditions depend on the game mode, but a time limit can be optionally set by the server administrator

If you have a question you wish we had included then please post it in our Community Questions forum. You can only see your own questions in that area but rest assured we read them all.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyingR

VOIP is an area we are still experimenting with. At the moment the plan is for the Squad Leader (NCO) to be able to communicate with other SLs when within a certain radius of the squad’s radioman, but otherwise only positional VOIP will be available to players

THERE WILL BE A RADIOMAN THEN?!?!?!?!

OK that's it. This is officially the best game ever and the team is the most open-minded ever. Period.

FlyingR

My reaction when I read that there will be radioman

I know!!!!!!!
TW with this kind of features they are creating a whole new standard for any kind of FPS game. Not only it's realistic but it's ****ing immersive. It's unbelievable how much value these features add to the game. If they implement other features like ballistics and other realistic features, games like PR, RO, RnL, etc., will not be considered realistic anymore and will turn to TW to see how a realistic game should be played.

I'm so hyped right now, it's incredible! :D

THIS IS..... PLEASE HELP ME, LORD!

Oh god....

I need a tea... can someone make a tea for me please?

Oh god I can't stop staring at those comments.... and the thread.....

Oh god

Oh god

Oh GOD

FlyingR

Can we expect a Commander role in Chapter 1 or we will have to wait until next Chapter, that is if it's going to be implemented of course.

MrT

(Not sure if I mentioned it before, and It's likely near if not impossible to accomplish in this finished engine but.. anyway).
Outerra solved this problem for it's grass by having a ground shell/blob forming and replacing grass by it's far limit. I don't know the details of it though.

Last edited:

Kilroy115

Me when they said there will be gore in the next chapters
[

It's a bingo! Haha.

I really like the idea of the radio operator being the only way to communicate with distant squads. This makes whatever poor SOB that is packing that thing one hell of a target. Take him out and that squad can not communicate with the other squads, it can not call in for support. It looses a large portion of its effectiveness. :D

FlyingR

It's a bingo! Haha.

I really like the idea of the radio operator being the only way to communicate with distant squads. This makes whatever poor SOB that is packing that thing one hell of a target. Take him out and that squad can not communicate with the other squads, it can not call in for support. It looses a large portion of its effectiveness. :D

It would be cool if you could also damage the radio when you shoot at it. Maybe 3 shots and then you hear static or your hear cut or broken if you try to hear or when you speak.

Aniallator

AMAZING update, devs! It's awesome to hear these things confirmed :D Stoked to hear that we'll see different calibers affecting ballistics, and that ballistics will in turn affect suppression! The planned VOIP system sounds perfect, positional VOIP for everyone as well as a radio SLs can use, via... a radioman! Hopefully we'll see engineers, partial destructible environments, and a more intuitive gore system in later chapters. Bummed about PiP scopes, but I understand why they can't be implemented. Hopefully in a later chapter something can be figured out to facilitate their implementation, but in the meantime I imagine there will be a significant blur effect to make scopes realistic.

@FlyingR said it, TW really is raising bar for realism games! I have no doubt that TW will become a new standard after release!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.