• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Community Questions #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaverickFM

Pathfinder Games

As promised, this week our devs have found the time in their hectic calendars to answer some of the questions put forward by the community.

Q1. Will weapons have different firemodes?
Yes. The starting point for all our weapon coding is historical fact so if a weapon had different firemodes then it’s highly likely the in-game weapon will have it too.

Q2. Will there be artificial light sources (e.g. flares?)
We’ve implemented flares into our development build but we aren’t yet happy with the way they work and feel. The impact they have on the gameplay is of course massive so they need careful balancing, but knowing that at any moment you might be lit up certainly adds an extra layer of immersion.

Q3. Will OVERLORD have a commander role?
No, but maybe in a future chapter.

Q4. Will Stielhandgranaten actually spin when you throw them, as in real life?
Well they don’t at the moment… but that is a great suggestion. We’ll look into it!

Q5. Is Traction Wars going to be on Steam?
The way in which we release Traction Wars is something we haven't finally decided. In order to release on Steam we would be required to go through Steam Greenlight, and right now our focus is on developing the game rather than marketing or preparing a Greenlight campaign. It is something we are keeping in mind as we move forward as it has certain pros and cons. You can be sure that the community will be the first to know should we decide to go through Greenlight.

Q6. How big do you intend the game to be?
As big as we can make it! More seriously we have to be realistic about how much content we can pack into OVERLORD and still complete the first chapter in a sensible timescale and without spending a fortune we don’t have. The first chapter is the hardest. After OVERLORD future chapters will build on the foundations and expand the game.

Q7. How will we be able to give commands/orders?
Preset orders will be made using a commo-rose. It’s not a new idea, but they are simple to use, easy to learn and don’t require an encyclopedic memory for a specific sequence of key presses.

Q8. Will we be able to change the barrels of machine guns?
Sadly not in OVERLORD, but maybe in a future chapter.

I hope that answers some of your questions, but if not head over to our Community Questions page and we will answer more soon!

Last edited by a moderator:

Aniallator

Awesome to hear we'll have different firemodes and flares in Overlord... I see flares playing a huge role in night maps :) I assume SLs will be given flare guns? And save for the MG 34, are there any other Overlord weapons that have different firemodes? If we ever see weapons that have it, I'd love to see different firemodes not only in terms of automatic and semi-automatic, but different RPM settings as well. For example, the BAR has settings for 300-450 and 500-650 RPM. I'm counting on seeing barrel changing in a later chapter!

Now, this is my opinion, but I don't think TW should look at a Steam release until a later chapter. What's the benefit of Steam? Access? More players? IMO, a Steam release – while yes, increasing the number of players – would quadruple the number of unwanted players. If people open up the Steam Store main page, and see that there's a new free-to-play WW2 FPS with gorgeous graphics, they're going to download it. IMO, a domestic release would hugely lower the number of unwanted players, and save you guys from the unnecessary labor of a Greenlight campaign... there's enough on your plate with us unsatiable buggers on the forum ;) Just my two cents.

And I have to say, I do wish some better questions had been answered; we already knew the answers to nearly half the questions, Q3, Q5, and Q6. Just saying :p

As always, looking forward to the next update, and silently praying to every god I know that it'll have a gameplay video or the Germans.

Last edited:

SpaceCroissant

Now, this is my opinion, but I don't think TW should look at a Steam release until a later chapter. What's the benefit of Steam? Access? More players? IMO, a Steam release – while yes, increasing the number of players – would quadruple the number of unwanted players. If people open up the Steam Store main page, and see that there's a new free-to-play WW2 FPS with gorgeous graphics, they're going to download it. IMO, a domestic release would hugely lower the number of unwanted players, and save you guys from the unnecessary labor of a Greenlight campaign... there's enough on your plate with us unsatiable buggers on the forum ;) Just my two cents.

There are benefits that you've not considered too. From a programming point of view Steamworks integration has a lot to offer.

- Existing user profiles
- Valve Anti-Cheat
- DRM
- Auto-updating (which means we don't need to build our own launcher)
- Ease of setting up public or closed beta branches
- Automatic bug/crash reporting

As we said in the Q&A though, we've not made up our minds one way or the other.

Aniallator

There are benefits that you've not considered too. From a programming point of view Steamworks integration has a lot to offer.

- Existing user profiles
- Valve Anti-Cheat
- DRM
- Auto-updating (which means we don't need to build our own launcher)
- Ease of setting up public or closed beta branches
- Automatic bug/crash reporting

As we said in the Q&A though, we've not made up our minds one way or the other.

Those are excellent reasons!

Killen

Sadly, this month i am not so much satisfied by these updates; historic updates and Q&A are interesting...

i know you guys put a lot of effort in your work but i was expecting some new footage/photos from the game, and everytime i was a little disappointed, even if i liked the Calgoblin's interview and so on.

I don't want to write an hateful comment, i just want you to know my "feelings" about these last updates!

If you find something offensive probably it's my fault, i have an hard time expressing myself in English; if that's the case let me know !

Thank you for what you all are doing, this is an amazing project :)

SpaceCroissant

[MENTION=2685]Francesco Boato[/MENTION] Not to worry, nothing offensive there.

Such is the reality of game development, particularly when it's being done part-time - there simply isn't always something exciting that we can share every two weeks, and there's only so many times we can say the same things and outline the core planned features without it getting boring! Some of the submitted questions we simply couldn't answer. It would be unwise for us to confirm features that we haven't started developing yet, because we don't know if the situation will change. I do understand what you and Aniallator have said though, and that the recent updates haven't been full of the exciting, juicy details that you'd hope for. It can be frustrating for us too.

Aniallator

Sadly, this month i am not so much satisfied by these updates; historic updates and Q&A are interesting...

i know you guys put a lot of effort in your work but i was expecting some new footage/photos from the game, and everytime i was a little disappointed, even if i liked the Calgoblin's interview and so on.

I don't want to write an hateful comment, i just want you to know my "feelings" about these last updates!

If you find something offensive probably it's my fault, i have an hard time expressing myself in English; if that's the case let me know !

Thank you for what you all are doing, this is an amazing project :)

Yeah, I hear you man ;)

@SpaceCroissant thank you for answering :) We really appreciate everything you guys do, and though it can be frustrating at times we understand you guys are working your asses off to deliver. So, upward and onward! Or onward and upward... you know what I mean :p

Last edited:

Killen

@Francesco Boato Not to worry, nothing offensive there.

Such is the reality of game development, particularly when it's being done part-time - there simply isn't always something exciting that we can share every two weeks, and there's only so many times we can say the same things and outline the core planned features without it getting boring! Some of the submitted questions we simply couldn't answer. It would be unwise for us to confirm features that we haven't started developing yet, because we don't know if the situation will change. I do understand what you and Aniallator have said though, and that the recent updates haven't been full of the exciting, juicy details that you'd hope for. It can be frustrating for us too.

Thank you for answering so fast!

I don't mind too much about these updates after all, two weeks fly fast :)

Howerer, i understand the problems but stay sure, we are with you guys!

Killen

Yeah, I hear you man ;)

Gosh, i didn't even saw your comment haha
I am reading it right now!

I think they are going for Steam in the future!

Who are unwanted people? The one that play CoD style? In that case, time only can decide the one who stays and play!
Too difficult and the "babies" are gonna leave therefore a perfect Community is going to build up :3

Hope you understood hahaha

Aniallator

Gosh, i didn't even saw your comment haha
I am reading it right now!

I think they are going for Steam in the future!

Who are unwanted people? The one that play CoD style? In that case, time only can decide the one who stays and play!
Too difficult and the "babies" are gonna leave therefore a perfect Community is going to build up :3

Hope you understood hahaha

Yeah, all those people who'll see TW as another free FPS to rampage on, and won't give a damn for teamwork or anything else. Between a good kick module and proper admin support, I imagine many of these players will be dealt with... but there'll always be a few :confused:

Killen

Yeah, all those people who'll see TW as another free FPS to rampage on, and won't give a damn for teamwork or anything else. Between a good kick module and proper admin support, I imagine many of these players will be dealt with... but there'll always be a few :confused:

I remember good days when in Call of Duty 4 you could vote to kick players, that's how you deal with bad players if there is no admin! :)
The community is good so probably it can manage these problems :)

Roughbeak

Regarding kick voting, that has some benefits yes, but in Battlefield 1942 servers it almost being used as a weapon by kid trolls really.

However, I don't think we will face these kind of things, the community is fantastic here!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.