• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Community Questions #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaverickFM

Pathfinder Games
This week MaverickFM debuted on our Official Traction Wars Discord Channel in the search for questions and got inundated! Here are some of the answers:

Bipods and/or weapon resting
Our Programmer, Ownage, has been working on a prototype of this system and we envisage will be tested internally before the end of 2016. Whilst bipeds/weapon resting is a feature we really like we do not consider it “core” to the gameplay so the development of this feature is a lower priority.​
How do you encourage teamwork/deal with lonewolves?
The first hurdle to cross in trying to encourage teamwork is to get people into squads. In TWs our squad and kit system are tied together so before you can select your kit you must choose a squad to join.​
The second hurdle is encouraging players to actually play as a cohesive unit. We do this in a number of different ways, one of which is an ‘Aura’ system which means players who stick together gain a few advantages e.g reduced suppression. We justify this on the basis that fear and poor morale will impair their performance when they are away/separated from their squadmates. When in a squad that works well together the best eyes, ears and brains come to the fore.​
Will there be shared ropes and other teamwork tools?
The idea is an interesting one, and one which would require some research to ensure the equipment and tactics are historically accurate, but it will certainly not be featured in OVERLORD. Every new feature we add is more time in development and we would rather add features in future chapters than make OVERLORD even larger, more complex and delay release more than already.​
Will you be able to pass ammo?
Players can refill their ammunition via ammo boxes scattered around a level but we would also like to include a feature where players in a squad can pass ammo to their machine gunner. We have not however implemented or tested the idea yet.​
Will you introduce different setting(s) than Normandy?
If OVERLORD is a success, we would love to flesh out the Normandy setting further and expand into different scenarios. We are fully focused on developing OVERLORD right now.​
What kind of challenges are the devs currently facing?
There are always going to be challenges with any game development but for us time is always going to be the greatest challenge to the project. We all have other commitments in real life whether it be a full-time job or university education but we are very fortunate to have so many talented developers who are willing to give up their evenings/weekends to help bring the game to life.​
How is current progress?
Recent progress has been slower than we would have liked due to the real life commitments of team members but we have been making progress. The tempo has picked up over recent weeks and looking ahead we are expecting this trend to continue over the next few months.​
How many active devs do you have at the moment?
We have approximately 11 active team members with a few more ‘on leave’ due to other time commitments but expecting to make a return in the future.​
We are always in need of experienced talent to join the family, particularly in programming and animation, so if you or anyone you know could do the job, GET IN TOUCH!!​
Will there be realistic bullet physics?
Our intention has always been to model realistic bullet physics but we are not going to rule out tweaking weapon and bullet characterises for gameplay reasons as we continue testing the game right up to (and after) release.​
Can we get a better idea about the sounds in the game?
Please see our previous weapon showcase videos. These are of course old WIP footage, and our Audio Designer calgoblin has been busy bringing the audio to a higher standard.​
Our old weapon previews were heavily WIP, especially in the audio department (some of which aren’t even synced properly...). There has been a lot of work put into the audio since then, below is a brief audio snapshot recently recorded in CRYENGINE.​

That’s all Folks! Thank you for all your questions and your continued support. If we haven’t answered your question, we have it on record so you don’t need to resubmit it, and if you think of anything new, head to the community questions page on our forum.

Flare

Vanguard Backer
Nice update Mav! Thanks for putting this together. And whoa, those sounds are awesome! Love the sound of the whiz off bullets and the impact noises. Not many games get great impact noises.

Interesting answers to interesting questions. I like the aura thingy, and man those sounds... That's awesome. I can't wait to get my hands on this.

drummer93

"...one of which is an ‘Aura’ system which means players who stick together gain a few advantages e.g reduced suppression"

And that sounds are awesome !!! :D

FlyingR

Excellent! Very good idea about the "Aura" system! I love it! :D

The sounds are incredible too!! Bravo!

Aniallator

Nice to have a few questions answered... but HOLY SH*T THOSE SOUND EFFECTS! Hats off to [MENTION=376]calgoblin[/MENTION] for pleasing my ears yet again! I mean f*ck, that Thompson... what I'm really stoked for, though, is hearing this in the glory that is 3Dception audio :D

The aura system sounds good! The radius shouldn't be very big, and of course it would only apply to section members.

Last edited:

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
what I'm really stoked for, though, is hearing this in the glory that is 3Dception audio :D

That was captured with 3Dception enabled, listen with headphones. It's a bit more abstract when there are no visuals, but you should be able to hear the individual bullets whizzing past ;)

Flare

Vanguard Backer
So, what kind of guns are we hearing here?

I can guess at a few. The machine gun at around 7 seconds is the Bren, we can tell by the lower cyclic rate. Then that semi-auto at around 11 seconds. What could that be? A pistol maybe? IS IT A GEWEHR 43? Then another automatic at 17 seconds. Machine pistol of some kind, I think. Can a dev enlighten us?

Aniallator

So, what kind of guns are we hearing here?

I can guess at a few. The machine gun at around 7 seconds is the Bren, we can tell by the lower cyclic rate. Then that semi-auto at around 11 seconds. What could that be? A pistol maybe? IS IT A GEWEHR 43? Then another automatic at 17 seconds. Machine pistol of some kind, I think. Can a dev enlighten us?

Well, we hear an MG34 or an MG42 right off the bat. At around 7 seconds, yes, that's a Bren, and at around 11 seconds we have a Webley Mk. IV; I'm basing this on the fact that it sounds similar to what's heard in the Mk. IV showcase, and that six rounds were fired. There's no question that's a Thompson at 15 seconds based on the rate of fire, and based on the similarity of what's heard in the showcase I'd say we have a No. 4 Mk. I at around 20 seconds.

Flare

Vanguard Backer
Well, we hear an MG34 or an MG42 right off the bat. At around 7 seconds, yes, that's a Bren, and at around 11 seconds we have a Webley Mk. IV; I'm basing this on the fact that it sounds similar to what's heard in the Mk. IV showcase, and that six rounds were fired. There's no question that's a Thompson at 15 seconds based on the rate of fire, and based on the similarity of what's heard in the showcase I'd say we have a No. 4 Mk. I at around 20 seconds.

Ooh - listen at 20 seconds. If what you say is correct, and that's a No. 4. I like what I hear. Why? Because less than a second later - we hear another shot! That answers a question I've been wanting to ask. What is the firerate of the No 4 in game? If it can be fired that quickly, I'm a happy man! Of course it could be two different rifles and my dreams are shattered . . . . .

Dear devs - don't pull a battlefield 1 on us and make the Lee Enfield slow as molasses!

Aniallator

Ooh - listen at 20 seconds. If what you say is correct, and that's a No. 4. I like what I hear. Why? Because less than a second later - we hear another shot! That answers a question I've been wanting to ask. What is the firerate of the No 4 in game? If it can be fired that quickly, I'm a happy man! Of course it could be two different rifles and my dreams are shattered . . . . .

Dear devs - don't pull a battlefield 1 on us and make the Lee Enfield slow as molasses!

Pretty sure they have this in mind. I'd love to see a Verdun level of realism when it comes to bolt-actions, namely having different bolting times depending on the weapon; in the case of the Lee-Enfield, faster!

Flare

Vanguard Backer
Pretty sure they have this in mind. I'd love to see a Verdun level of realism when it comes to bolt-actions, namely having different bolting times depending on the weapon; in the case of the Lee-Enfield, faster!
I wonder what bolt action weapon will be able to fire, say, 20 rounds, quicker. The No. 4 will have a faster rpm while loaded and will have to reload half as many times but the reloads will take longer because two clips need to be inserted and the 303 clips were pretty bad and slow to reload.

Status
Not open for further replies.