• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

CryEngine vs Unreal Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic727

Hi,

Maybe you know about the game I want to make one time in my life (don't know when). I want to know what is the best Engine for a beginner like me?

I watched some videos and found some tool and each one have some good aspect and bad aspect. I will explain ;

With CryEngine, you have realistic lighting and water physic effect. The scenery could be amazing and doesn't look cartoony like Unreal Engine 3 (UE4 look better). In term of graphic, it's the best, but in term of features I want, UE is good. I found a program called "SpeedTree" and it's a good way to make grass and tree easily for UE and it's supporting wind effect. You can make that with CryEngine, but you need to put the file in 3dsMax before and after that, to CryEngine, but people are saying that it's not optimized. Whatever, this
is just awesome!

For the wind, I think UE is better to have wind like in the video and to have
(or it's easier???). I watched how to make dynamic weather who happen in random time for CryEngine, but it seem hard with all the coding you need...
I think the snow effect and texture is much better in UE and much better in Unreal Engine 4 (see tech demo or picture).
Unreal Engine 4 will have a "smoke shadow" effect where light can't pass through smoke. Don't know if it's in CryEngine.

For Clothing, I think CryEngine is better to simulate movements on clothes (Ryse son of Rome).

I found this website for tutorial : https://www.3dmotive.com/

But I want your advice. What is the best Engine to start to make a FPS?

thx

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Simply put - it depends. Work out exactly your game will be played and what features are needed and which are important before deciding on an engine.

Unreal is almost certainly easier to use but personally I prefer CRYENGINE.

Nic727

Ok.

Thats what I need/want :

- snow effect (for snow storm)
- heavy snow
- volumetric clouds with clouds shadow.
- volumetric smoke with smoke shadow.
- wind
- grass, trees and bushes moving with different wind powers.
- water physic
- destructible environment (just certain thing and some wall)
- clothes physic
- good cinematic
- dynamic weather
- texture changing with different weather (rain, snow, etc)

What I found and need about developping a game :

- Use Autodesk Maya or 3DsMax to create weapons, house, etc.
- Use speedtree for grass and trees.
- create texture and clothes (?)
- Create animation (?)
- Create script for Ai (?)
- Create a map (?)
- Create HUD and game menu (name later)
- create game modes (?)

Thx

For the snow I imagine our character with his left arm blocking snow in his face and wallingant slowly (only snow storm) and a kind of frost effect in the screen...

Sir Apple

Well you have to really :p

OOO I'm going to be 'controversial' then :p It just depends what you want. I use Unreal 4 at work, and CE3 here at traction wars in my spare time. I prefer EU4, for many reasons.

If you're a beginner, then perhaps go with Unreal.

Last edited:

Nic727

It's complicated...

What I found is that CryEngine want 20% of your launch profit. UE I don't know.
SpeedTree is $15'000'00 for one game for one platform.
After that, I will need Autodesk Maya or 3DsMax (3D model for weapon, character, etc.) , Sketchbook (for artwork) ant other stuff for AI by autodesk.

Or there is Blender for 3D model... Is it good?

How to start the creation of a game if you are loosing all your money before the creation?

Last edited:

Roughbeak

Well, fortunately 3ds Max offers a 36 month student version, you have to create an account though.

3ds Max Free Download | Free Student Version for Academics

Speaking of 3ds Max, @Sir Apple (no offence to the modelers ;)) I do not know what version of Max are you using, but how in the world are you supposed to lock the zoom in the "top right" viewport (which I think is front view) in the 2014 version? :)
I have gotten by just by locking the zoom pan in the "top left" viewport (I think is top), but I have to find a better solution.

Roughbeak

Ok. :)

I was saying that in the 2014 version (my version), they changed the "lock zoom pan" a bit. Here I am trying to model a dagger with a help of a tutorial, but in that same tutorial, he uses the 2012 version.
I tried to go to "viewport background" settings, but the "lock zoom/pan" is not there, whereas in the 2012 version it is there.

This is where I need it in "front" view, you cannot see. When you move the middle mouse button the grid just moves around and not the image.

2014 version, it seems the only way to lock the zoom pan, is in "perspective mode"

Roughbeak

Yes, thanks.

I would have used 2012 version instead of '14, but this is where the hilarity starts. I tried to download the 2012 version, but the file was so large my internet kept failing me or said "unknown network error". I tried the 2013 version, but in the .exe, it just stopped or said "failed to install".

@Sir Apple, I'm not trying to bother you more, but how would you go about modeling that dagger? :) Like would where would you place an image or would you even use a reference image at all? I was thinking that maybe certain modelers have different techniques in their designs.

Last edited:

Nic727

Thx for all.

I think Blender is a nice free software and it's compatible with CryEngine (I read that). And this guy has some nice project : Andrew Price - YouTube and tutorial.

For Speedtree, the support said me that if I want to make a game using speedtree for PC, Xbox One and PS4, it will cost $30'000 It's crazy. I think I will have to learn how to make my own tree, but it look difficult... Not the part of the trunk and branch, the leaves need to be realistic and moving with the wind...

Whatever, Unreal Engine look expensive if you want to commercialize a game compared to CryEngine where they just want 20% of the money at release. Unreal I think you have to pay a lot more.

And I think I will need a team to make that, because it will not be possible to make a game alone. How it is to work with people in different location around the world? Is it hard to share files?

thx

Sir Apple

Yes, thanks.

I would have used 2012 version instead of '14, but this is where the hilarity starts. I tried to download the 2012 version, but the file was so large my internet kept failing me or said "unknown network error". I tried the 2013 version, but in the .exe, it just stopped or said "failed to install".

@Sir Apple, I'm not trying to bother you more, but how would you go about modeling that dagger? :) Like would where would you place an image or would you even use a reference image at all? I was thinking that maybe certain modelers have different techniques in their designs.

No bother ;) If I were going for 1:1 accuracy with a real dagger, gun etc. then I would use a profile image of it in 3ds max, and use other references gathered around google images for looking at and modeling the other details etc.

Nic727

Unreal Engine could be nice if you know how to work : [video=youtube;Iub_TsEELNg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iub_TsEELNg[/video]

Can't wait the release of UE4 UDK.
I heard that UDK take less power than CryEngine. (less lag, etc). Is it true?

But I have a lot of project in head and I think I have an idea how to altern CryEngine and UE4. But that's a secret.

Koenigstiger

The guys that are making kingdom come said the map developer for CE3 is really good and it doesn't take long to throw together a raw map, I've never used them so I couldn't say personally.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
The guys that are making kingdom come said the map developer for CE3 is really good and it doesn't take long to throw together a raw map, I've never used them so I couldn't say personally.

Hands-down the CE is the most potent realtime game-render there is from my personal experience. The revolutionary "WYSIWYG"-Editor was/is the best one you can possibly get - yes, the UE have shown it's capable to create truly stunning scenes, as well as being capable to render pretty much anything you throw at it (being diverse and all that), but the same applies to any game-render really; as long as you know the toolset you work with, nothing can stop you really.

I've worked with a number of engines but I'd prefer the CE any day.

Personal taste, but I need to have a fluent workflow where I can control the entire process, and CE offers just that.

Maniche

HeadClot

I am a bit disenchanted by the Cryengine to be honest. Lots of documentation and awesome tools but not allot of information on the Indie license. You need to sign an NDA to just talk about the Indie license. Which is really self defeating for indies.

I would rather learn C++ and build my own engine or use Unreal Engine 4. But still I would rather build my own engine. Here is why - Steam takes 30% from sales and Unreal takes 25%.

So you lose 55% of your profits (If you are selling your game on Steam).

Anyway - I should end my rant...

Sir Apple

55% of your profits is only alot in the game industry (or any branch of the entertainment industry) if your profits are low. But if you're a small indie company whos game brings in 30 million USD, your still looking at a little less then half, which is a ****-ton of money.

If you are a large AAA company, who pulls in half a billion dollars or more on a game release, the profit is still ranging in the hundred million dollar range (thats not counting all the other marketing campaigns that make large corporate company's lots of money i.e merchandise).

I'm not a marketing or sales expert, so forgive my lack of technicalities - but you gotta understand that its not so black and white, and the reality is if you look at steam and deny their support due to the profit percentages they take, you'll most likely make less money then you would by releasing with steam, ESPECIALLY in today's industry. Spend to make, its the circle of life ;)

Nic727

You have good points. But first of all, I don't know how to make a game engine with C++ and secondly, you can publish your game on your website for free (I think), but yes, it's easier to make something with an existing engine and hope to have millions $. :)

Koenigstiger

If you make a game and invest 1,000 into it and sell it on steam and make say 5,000,000

It doesn't matter if you have to pay 55% because there is literally no loss involved it is purely profit.

Also I don't actually think you have to pay a percentage to the engine owners I think it is just a one time fee for their engine license, not certain however.

Status
Not open for further replies.