• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Defector from another WWII game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

Of course it won't happen, but one of the things that would be cool to see is like intermittent Russian voice acting for the Germans on some maps xD

Aniallator

do you want Osttruppen as a faction? with korean soldiers? :p

Guys, Osttruppen are already in TW ;) The 716th Infantry Division was based out of Caen and stationed all over Normandy, including Pegasus Bridge. The artillery regiment stationed at Merville was also of the 716th. Like all static infantry divisions, the 716th had a high percentage of foreign conscripts, notably Ukrainians. When you capture the bridge as the Germans in TW... you might be doing it for Mother Russia :p

FlyingR

Guys, Osttruppen are already in TW ;) The 716th Infantry Division was based out of Caen and stationed all over Normandy, including Pegasus Bridge. The artillery regiment stationed at Merville was also of the 716th. Like all static infantry divisions, the 716th had a high percentage of foreign conscripts, notably Ukrainians. When you capture the bridge as the Germans in TW... you might be doing it for Mother Russia :p

But but it's not the same if at least 1 of the characters doesn't have Korean/Asian characteristics :(

drummer93

we know, but is really difficult to recreate that in a game :p

drummer93

Just need some good ol' Ukrainian voice acting!

Maybe, but a lot of soldiers with different nationalities fight for the Wehrmacht and the SS, not only Ukrainians. I think that try to include something like this in TW could be interesting, but is too much.

FlyingR

Maybe, but a lot of soldiers with different nationalities fight for the Wehrmacht and the SS, not only Ukrainians. I think that try to include something like this in TW could be interesting, but is too much.

Yeah I kind of agree with you, but it could work out!

Aniallator

Oh, I'm not actually suggesting alternate voice acting. However, if a situation arose where attaining Ukrainian or Russian or whatever voice acting was readily possible, then I don't see any reason not to do it and implement it as something that you'd hear now and then playing as a German (German voice acting would of course be more prominent).

Africandave

I can't remember the quote but it was something like "There are no worse soldiers than Osttruppen/ Ukrainians fighting for Germany, Against Britain, In France" !

Aniallator

They did have that nasty habit of surrendering when confronted by Allied troops... though I should note that some Osttruppen units are recorded as having performed exceptionally well.

VonMudra

There's one famous story of a couple Ostbattalions in the American sector- one got leaflets dropped on them saying how they would be quickly returned to their homelands and the welcoming arms of Uncle Joe. The one that didn't get leaflet drops mostly shot their German NCOs/Officers and surrendered. The one that did get leaflets pretty much fought to the death.

That said, we will have issues with this. Even the 21st Panzer Division had very mixed languages (Polish and Czech commonly), and it's hard to deal with the voice acting we would need. Throw Georgian, Ukrainian, Central Asian languages, Azerbaijani, a little Korean, etc etc, into the mix, and you're ripe for problems. It's easier to simply use German and just represent the units as best we can visually.

Sydd

There's one famous story of a couple Ostbattalions in the American sector- one got leaflets dropped on them saying how they would be quickly returned to their homelands and the welcoming arms of Uncle Joe. The one that didn't get leaflet drops mostly shot their German NCOs/Officers and surrendered. The one that did get leaflets pretty much fought to the death.

That said, we will have issues with this. Even the 21st Panzer Division had very mixed languages (Polish and Czech commonly), and it's hard to deal with the voice acting we would need. Throw Georgian, Ukrainian, Central Asian languages, Azerbaijani, a little Korean, etc etc, into the mix, and you're ripe for problems. It's easier to simply use German and just represent the units as best we can visually.

Well ofcourse, I mean if you do somehow add language variations some ignorant fool may come up to you guys and complain.. "Hey my German soldier turned into an Asian."
So having the German troops speak in German is perfectly alright and I am sure most if not all of us can live with that decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.