• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Dev Blog #26: Light Fantastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaverickFM

Pathfinder Games
In this development blog by [TWDEV] Guillaume we are going to give you a closer look at the lighting and the associated technologies used in Traction Wars to see how they will affect the gameplay.

After the feedback of the Pegasus Bridge Video, which showcased both day and night lighting, it became clear for us that we wanted to incorporate this setup in the final game as well.

Today we are happy to confirm that in Chapter One: OVERLORD all map will feature two lighting variations that you will be able to play: one at night and one at day.

Server administrators can choose between the two versions of most levels as part of the map rotation queue. So you could, for example, run only the maps at night time or alternate between the day & night. You can even select the lighting that is historically accurate for the real operation associated with each map (more on that later in this post).

Of course we go beyond just changing the time of day. Real variations imply not just different lighting but also different weather and together with audio changes produce a dramatically different experience on the battlefield. As implied above we make sure that for each map one of the two variations will be historically accurate So, for instance, the night variation of our Pegasus Bridge map will feature the very dark night associated with its operation while our fourth (and still unannounced) map will feature unique weather for its day variant.

Creating these map variations is not without technical and artistic challenges. That is why we developed our own system that allows our designers to define for each lighting effect when they apply to day, night or both directly in the property panel of the CRYENGINE editor.

As the development of Traction Wars advances we have upgraded the version of CRYENGINE we use, which allows us to benefit from the numerous rendering features and improvements made by Crytek. This is especially true for lighting where we are making extensive use of the experimental SVOGI global illumination that [TWDEV] Mars demonstrated in a recent Developer Interview.

With many maps having a night variant, the artificial lights sources will be important points of interest that will have a huge tactical influence on the battlefield, especially on maps that will feature really dark nights like on Pegasus Bridge. This gives us the opportunity to provide tools for the players to influence that part of the environment e.g. by having a lot of lights destructible by bullets and explosives. While most lights will turn off when destroyed, you’ll have to be careful because some will flicker randomly giving only a small window of opportunity to pass underneath without being noticed by the enemy.

In this article we give you our vision of how the lighting in Traction Wars will provide a wide range of diversity for each map and create interesting gameplay scenarios that accentuate the tactical aspect of the game. But of course the lighting also makes a huge contribution to the visual impact of and immersion in the game, so you can look forward to hear more about that in a future development update.

Until our next update in two weeks time you can find us on social media

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyingR

The clouds look very beautiful!

Lights will flicker randomly? ****ing Awesome!!!

By the way, would it be possible to have a map where there's a transition between night and day? I know it would be a very short time, but it would be cool too! Or a change of weather in the same game?

God damn it I want to play this game so bad!!

Aniallator

Hot damn guys, this is awesome! The volume of detail and realism going into TW is enormous! Everything mentioned here sounds amazing, and I love that we'll have this realistic weather system! Also, VERY glad to hear the Pegasus Bridge, and other maps where historically accurate, will have day and night variants :D Holy sh*t I cannot wait for this awesomeness.

Colour me slightly baffled.

If I didn't know better, I'd say I was looking at a picture of the bridge, not a screenshot. And that weather system... Is there a chance of people getting hit by lightning?

I'm going to need a better computer.

Esu21

Just imagine fighting with heavy rain in the darkest night... these are the types of experiences that TW will give us better than any game out there.

Will soldier clothes look wet when on rain maps?

Aniallator

Just imagine fighting with heavy rain in the darkest night... these are the types of experiences that TW will give us better than any game out there.

What I really, really, really hope to see is a water drop effect on binocular and scope lenses when in the rain.

Sydd

Jeez it looks gorgeous... Okay great so we get customization on how maps can be differentiated between historically accurate and other weather cycles on it too.. But will there be a day-night cycle?

Guillaume

Pathfinder Games
But the question is; will there be gamma adjusting, so people who do it have the advantage over others?
This is definitely something that we will look at yes!

But will there be a day-night cycle?
No. Everything we plan to do on this front is described in the article (for the Chapter 1 at least!)

Yes! The CRYENGINE handles that very well ;)

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
Maybe share your excitement with something a little less crude, like telling all your friends or hanging a giant banner on your house.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Maybe share your excitement with something a little less crude, like telling all your friends or hanging a giant banner on your house.

Agreed. Large completely unmissable banners are acceptable. Crude comments really aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.