• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Dev Blog #31: Developer Interview - Volcol

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaverickFM

Pathfinder Games
This week we sat down and had a chat with one of our senior 3D Artists and former Lead Artist, James 'Volcol' Chilton.

1. How did you get involved with TW?

I applied to TW a fair while back, and actually went through two trials - succeeding with my second. Having always had an interest in WWII, I joined the team just as I was starting university, and working with the TW team was a great help toward my studies. The skill set I developed from my art trial alone led to me gaining quite an advantage in University, and I often at times found myself much further ahead of the curriculum.

2. What does your role involve?

I’ve covered a great many things in working with Traction Wars, but primarily I work with weapons and character art. I work with modelling, texturing and rigging (where needed) - and enjoy spending time on a piece of artwork, as my actual job (whilst also games artwork) often brings strict deadlines which often doesn’t allow for the finer details. Being an artist is incredibly rewarding but can be equally frustrating - as it’s very common to look back at a piece of artwork and find faults/flaws that need improving on.

3. What is your favourite thing you have done so far in TW?

I’ve really enjoyed working on the German character art work, a lot of care and attention went into that (interesting threats from VonMudra helped ensure an accurate depiction). I also really enjoy working on the weapon artwork and looking into serial markings and the tiny details that are often overlooked.

4. Has Traction Wars been a learning curve for you and what has been the biggest lesson it has taught you so far?

Without Traction Wars I really wouldn’t be where I am today. The project has helped me develop skills in weapon and character artwork, including high poly, sculpting and next gen PBR techniques. TW has been one of the biggest contributors ( if not the main) to me being in the position I am today with work.​

5. If there was anything you could do in Traction Wars, what would it be?

For me, I’d love to include more environmental interactivity - say for example dragging a small cart into a street for use as makeshift cover or as a barricade. Perhaps even barricading yourself in a room (but knowing my luck I’d be shot through the door or naded through a window first time!). Digging foxholes would be great also.

6. What is your favourite cookie?

I don’t like cookies, I really don’t eat many sweets/sweet things. I do enjoy a good ale, so maybe if there’s a cookie flavoured ale (or visa versa) then let me know!

7. What is your favourite feature of TWs?

I’m really looking forwards to the night fighting. It’s very difficult to get right, but done correctly it leads to some brutal fighting. I look forwards to sneaky sneaking my way along a hedgerow, trusty Lee Enfield at my side, hearing Germans nearby … grabbing a Mills bomb from my small pack and pulling the pin … turning the corner aaaaand - getting shot in the face by General Naga (then the rage quit that follows).​

That's all for this blog. Until our next update you can find us on social media as well as on the official Discord channel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Esu21

Those Brit infantry models are just amazing 8| They remind me why I love this game and the awesome work you guys are doing! Really nice job Volcol xD

FlyingR

Well done!! Bravo! *claps all around* I'm glad that TW has helped you a lot Volcol! Also having worked in WWIIO and Verdun says a lot! :D

The models look great!!! :D

5. If there was anything you could do in Traction Wars, what would it be?

For me, I’d love to include more environmental interactivity - say for example dragging a small cart into a street for use as makeshift cover or as a barricade. Perhaps even barricading yourself in a room (but knowing my luck I’d be shot through the door or naded through a window first time!). Digging foxholes would be great also.

This x 100000000000000, all of this please please!

The trucks are statics right? 0% vehicles in this Chapter?

Flare

Vanguard Backer
That is AWESOME! Simply amazing models, and I bet they look even better in-game. The weapons looked awesome too. I spent too long trying to look down the sights but there was a hand in the way each time. :( [MENTION=2108]Aniallator[/MENTION] - maybe next time you'll get your germans? :p

Aniallator

BEST UPDATE YET!! Amazing job! Was fascinating to hear about how TW has improved your abilities [MENTION=155]volcol[/MENTION], and loved hearing about - and seeing - your progress! OMFG THOSE BRIT MODELS!!

I’ve really enjoyed working on the German character art work, a lot of care and attention went into that (interesting threats from VonMudra helped ensure an accurate depiction). I also really enjoy working on the weapon artwork and looking into serial markings and the tiny details that are often overlooked.

Why do I feel like this was intended to make me suffer xD

Keep up the fantastic work you guys!

Flare

Vanguard Backer
BEST UPDATE YET!! Amazing job! Was fascinating to hear about how TW has improved your abilities @volcol, and loved hearing about - and seeing - your progress! OMFG THOSE BRIT MODELS!!

Why do I feel like this was intended to make me suffer xD

Keep up the fantastic work you guys!

Ever since you added my poetry to your signature the TW dev team has deleted all screenshots of Germans from their hard drives. You will not see them until release. Even the trailer will only show Germans from a distance. :p

Aniallator

Ever since you added my poetry to your signature the TW dev team has deleted all screenshots of Germans from their hard drives. You will not see them until release. Even the trailer will only show Germans from a distance. :p

There won't even be Germans, TW will be Brits vs Polish farmers :p

My computer shat itself at the notion of having to run this.

The infantry models looks absolutely fabulous. I love the fact that you can just zoom in and read the regiment label.
You are going to replace the Flak with the 5cm gun, are you?

Fegelein

Excellent!

However... I think it is time we get a nice look at the glorious German Wehrmacht models! Come on TW team! Please...? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.