• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Documentaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

litchu

Hi :)

I'm looking for some informational documentaries about ( what a suprise.. ) WW2. Myself am looking for specificly D-Day or Operation Market Garden, but I guess a thread where any recommendations could be placed wouldn't hurt either.

Hopefully some of you have seen documentaries which you feel like need to be shared.

LazMan12

I think the series "WW2 in color" is quite good- it covers the whole war, they use only old original footage(colored with modern tech). They also explain the battles and other happenings and the tactics and decisions behind then qite well, without much repeating, oversimplifying, BS and the general feeling its made for hiped 7-year-olds. Its not perfect of course ;)
I think it was by Viasat History.

Roughbeak

I found a very interesting airborne invasion on top of a fort; namely at "Fort Eben Emael".

@VonMudra have you heard about this specific battle? Would be awesome in TW, but that is a long ways off.

VonMudra

Course I know about it. And considering it's 1940, it is far far far far far from ever being done. We have quite a bit to do currently, and we have no idea where we could go after Normandy 1944 is finished.

[MENTION=1109]Roughbeak[/MENTION]: Eben-Emael is probably the best known air assault of the May 1940 Blitzkrieg.

What you say is of course true, [MENTION=147]VonMudra[/MENTION], but the way I see TW is a way to teach the large masses the lesser known parts of WWII. So the way forward can be going back into the earlier parts of the war.

Roughbeak

...but the way I see TW is a way to teach the large masses the lesser known parts of WWII. So the way forward can be going back into the earlier parts of the war...

Great idea though, having the same maps over and over is tiresome. This way might get players because of those "rare" maps you never find in any other game.

Great idea though, having the same maps over and over is tiresome. This way might get players because of those "rare" maps you never find in any other game.

That's true. The problem with those "rare" maps is that you have to do some digging into archives and a heck of a lot of modeling.
For instance: if you were to make an Eben-Emael map, you'd have a lot of work for the Belgian equipment alone. You'd have to choose between 6 pistols, 5 rifles, a SMG (no real option there), 2 LMG's, 2 HMG's and those are just the infantry weapons.

Nic727

I have a question,

How many weapons does a WWII was carrying?
Because some game you have one principal weapon and a pistol, but in other, you have two principals weapons (like one M1 Garand and one Thompson) and one pistol.

thx

VonMudra

In WW2 you got issued one personal weapon. That would only change if you A) captured an enemy weapon and decided to accept the risks and supply issues, and still carry/safely store your issued weapon (can't throw away government property) or your position changed through promotion. So if you started as a private in the infantry, and never went beyond that for whatever reason, you only carried that rifle you were issued. Pistols depended generally on what you were doing, in US army it would be for officers and some NCOs, for German army anyone who served a crew weapon was issued a pistol. That said, again, your average soldier did not have a pistol unless he purchased one privately and kept it as a pocket pistol (so it wouldn't be a Luger or such, think more PPK, Cz27, Sauer 38, etc etc). Again, we will represent pistols/weapon issue accurately ingame, and not at all like games such as Call of Duty.

@battleaxe: Yes I do agree doing rarer things would be fun. As for Belgian stuff, it would be rather easy to figure out WHAT to make, just would have to look and see what the Eben Emael garrison was issued. Problems of course would be having to essentially scratch build two entire armies (remember, german player models of 1944 look nothing like FJ of 1940), and also scratch build all the bunker stuff, and all for a single map. If we did Eben Emael, it would only be if we went off to do the entire 1940 campaign.

Alex

Wasn't Germany the nation that supplied the least amount of standard issue sub-machine guns to infantry rather to USA or USSR?
The Mp-40 was generally for tank commanders, squad leaders, and stuff like that.

VonMudra

For Germany the MP40 was generally for squad leaders and other NCOs/officers only. There were a few assualt units and pzgrn units that got more, but since German doctrine was based around the machine gun, it simply didn't make sense to issue everyone smgs. In the american army, it is a bit more complicated, as the Thompson was not issued to many infantry units, especially national guard units, though they did filter in over time through the classic soldiery art of stealing stuff. As for the USSR, entire units were outfitted solely with SMGs, befitting their human wave/close combat tactical doctrines.

Status
Not open for further replies.