• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Drawing Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe during a briefing stage as the round begins or such, but maybe team leaders or commanders could draw plans on the map? Just drawing lines of movement, marking likely enemy positions to watch out for, and also being able to type labels for areas like "RV here" or "Bravo Overwatch" would be quite handy for more serious servers who want to plan things out before going into the fight. Examples of this include Arma with it's markers, and theHunter actually lets you draw routes of where you want to go. Although, we'll be hunting the most dangerous virtual game here, it'd still be nice. All players within that team would also have it marked on their maps of course, so they all know the plan.

Also, though I could care less for this, maybe if members of the enemy team check bodies, they can see the plans, before dropping it and going on their way?

So, I ask you: yay or nay? What do you guys think of being able to draw up plans before round start?

Pvt_Larry

I think this feature looked really good in Arma, having something like that in this game would also be cool. I'd spring for this being a squadleader feature.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
'Drawing Plans' is the topic, not 'Drawing Penises', though I can rename it if you want ;)

Cool idea, not sure it could involve full on freedom of drawing as it has already been shown it could be easily abused. Markers or waypoints or objectives placed on a map could be a better option however.

Slider

YAY

only one comment, not everyone would carry the plans i guess, so maybe just squadleaders?

1. I'm in favor of such a system.

2. I would go even further: No soldier has a map except squad-leaders/ platoon-leaders/... "Normal Soldiers" can only let themselves shown via a key the direction to the squad-leader and to the objective marked by the squad-leader.

This will cause 3 things:
1. "Forced Teamplay" - When players only know the way to an objective marked by the SL, they are forced to stay close to each other and thus they will support each other.

2. A kind of realistic chaos on the battlefield, for players who don't have a map

3. Players are forced to look into the environment for orientation instead of following simply a straight line to the next objective.

Preventing Abuse on Drawing:
Allow players only writing 2-3 text-blocks, not bigger than 3 spaces and only "fixed" NATO-symbols (most common and understandable)

Preventing Abuse on SL-Position: Players of a Squad should have the ability to start a vote against the current SL and in favor for another Squad-Member in public play.

sincerely,
Slider

litchu: Well, that way everyone can see the plans. Besides, realistically everyone would have a map yes? Why wouldn't they be able to see what's drawn on it?

tits: Only during break time.

calgoblin, I don't think you have enough faith in our ability to draw penises. Indeed, one of the types of drawing I was taught in art class involved using only dots! Seriously though, I've seen this all the time in Arma, but it's still so nice to be able to plan something out and look it over on a map.

Slider: First off, it is possible to navigate an area, having some idea of where you're going, and not having anyone give you directions. Or so some like to think. Besides, shouldn't the sheer power of a wolf pack and being able to cover each other make you wanna go with your squad? That's why I like the idea of a radio system though, but there's already a topic on that. Secondly, realistic chaos will happen anyway on a map with chokepoints. Mmmm, chokepoints. Third of all, NATO didn't exist yet, so they couldn't exactly be common in 1944, and they aren't really understandable unless you've been taught NATO symbols. I agree with the SL thing anyway though, and vote kicking bad ones.

oxi, nice skills, but not what I had in mind.

Duke

Even if not drawing, just a simple system like BF2 had. That worked. And only Squad Leaders with maps is would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.