• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Favourite Soundtrack

Status
Not open for further replies.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
New game! What's you favourite soundtrack? From a game, film, broccoli advert, whatever.

To keep the thread readable, only post one track from the soundtrack, from Youtube or where ever. Together we can create a thread full of calming (or not) soundtrack pieces, that can give us a few moments to think solely about the music these games, films or broccoli adverts add to our enjoyment. I'll start!

I choose Uncharted 2:

Because I had so much fun playing that game, and every time I put it on sitting at the menu listening to that theme made me want to climb up those impossible buildings in that fantastic cinematic style. Hmm I want to play it again now...

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
The Traction Wars soundtrack of course!

Unpublished soundtracks aside it's an easy choice for me:

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
Now THIS is a thread I can contribute massivly too!

First off, something a bit soothing and deep. A shame the ending is such a party-pooper but Alexandre Desplat have done some marvelous work on the Harry Potter Deathly Hallows OSTs!

A classic from Clint Mansell, as found in one of my all-time favorite movies The Fountain. The build-up is a epic composition of a wide variety of orchestrial pieces, which top itself at the "Resurrection"-scene, before literally exploding in your face and cause a major Divine sensation. Deep, haunting, powerful, and yet so beautiful. 6.30 and beyond (mark 7.30 and be touched by something unreal) - just wow.

As featured in a few movies (Sunshine (all-time favorite), Kick-Ass etc.), John Murphy have made this tune an insta-classic, called Adagio in D-minor, as here featured in Sunshine. Just... wow. Even though this piece isn't intirely all orchestrial (as it got a few new-tech pieces here and there), the piano and the atmosphere it creates is just wast, powerful, hypnotizing and inspiring. I remember this scene particularly as Kaneda's standing on the solar-screen and the imminent firestorm is upon him; it draws you in and you get to feel the tension building as the sunlight is coming ever closer. Marvelous!

Finally, as featured in one of my favorite-movies (guys, it was a good movie!), the list wouldn't be complete without any from Hans Zimmer, and here from The Last Samurai, with A Way Of Life. Accompanied by a soothing and gentle pan-flut (correct?), it builds itself up towards an epic conclusion of a great movie - the deep and powerful elements that comes to show later in the piece (as found in later works like Inception - Time (which also is a great piece IMO)).

Maniche

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
Was wondering when that John Murphy one would show up. It's a great piece, even though it's essentially the same chord pattern on repeat. But he does that well, and while we're on the subject of him, In The House is equally epic. And also the first non-orchestral piece on our list :p

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
On the subject of non-orchestrial, I'll introduce a quite new track.

Composer is Brian Tyler, as featured in the scene when (SPOILER) you meet-up with Daisy and tell her that Grant is dead. Just so lush.

Maniche

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I really like that WWII in HD song. I haven't seen the series but I might have to check it out after hearing that :)

Jurassic Park by John Williams

Band of Brothers "Suite Two" by Michael Karmen

Metal Gear Solid "Sons of Liberty Theme" by Harry Gregson-Williams

and finally Halo 3 "One Final Effort" by Michael Salvatori

I can see I'm going to enjoy this thread. Always been very keen on soundtracks for both games and films :)

SwadianFC

I'm gonna get all obscure up in here:

On of my favorites is Michael Nyman, in particular his score to the Draughtsman's Contract. He combined baroque music with saxophones, 50's music, and minimalism, which I think is pretty cool. He also wrote the score to Gattaca, and this particular track (Chasing Sheep is Best Left to Shepherds) was used in a **** and Bull Story (Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon):
[video=youtube;nfP0u_zf3EE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfP0u_zf3EE[/video]

Another good one is Nino Rota's score to the film 8 and a half (Fellini). The movie was very avant-garde, it was a film about the making of the film. I just think it's fun and catchy, very Italian-sounding too. He also wrote the score to the Godfather, by the way.

Basically anything John Williams touches is great. I think the score to Jurassic Park is great, but then again what does it have to do with dinosaurs? I still get the chills from Schindler's List though.

Daft Punk did an amazing job with the Tron soundtrack. Tron is also a good reminder that Disney has the potential to make a really awesome Star Wars movie.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I had always wondered what that first tune was! Mystery solved :)

The Schindler's list theme is also on my favorites list :)

hannibaldinski

TW Developer
[video=youtube_share;INzT3IJnF-k]http://youtu.be/INzT3IJnF-k[/video]

One of the best commercials ever :) Love the Bravia Series "colour like no other" bouncing balls with "Heartbeats" from Jose Gonzales.

hannibaldinski

TW Developer
And i can;t forget the BF theme :) It has been in almost every battlefield. It is battlefield.

[video=youtube_share;lI7N7WcBKcg]http://youtu.be/lI7N7WcBKcg[/video]

And the best and most awesome menu track is the one from Bad Company one. <3 "The Beast" by Milt Buckner. <3 It fist the game perfectly.

[video=youtube_share;OVC2VDk2Wrk]http://youtu.be/OVC2VDk2Wrk[/video]

I'm a big fan of Pixar movies, though they arent that good anymore... But the first scene of Up is wonderfull. A Married life.

[video=youtube_share;9yjAFMNkCDo]http://youtu.be/9yjAFMNkCDo[/video]

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
Funny how that was my old avatar in that Bad Company-video.

Oh the memories!

Maniche

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
One of the best commercials ever :) Love the Bravia Series "colour like no other" bouncing balls with "Heartbeats" from Jose Gonzales.

I remember seeing him live once, this was the only song of his that anyone knew :L It is a good song though.

I think the 1943 version of the BF theme is my favourite one. The Battlefield 3 one doesn't even come close, and should be in a pit of pit somewhere. And I remember hearing that Bad Company track on every loading screen. That was such a fun game...

Another game theme, it's one of the greatest of all times, in my opinion: Halo, the original one. Not sure whose idea it was to use monk chants, but I think it paid off. It's a shame Bungie only brought the first Halo to PC. (The 2nd one only being on Vista doesn't count!)

brrr

TW Developer
I loved this; totally made the film for me. And it's been stuck in my head since I saw it >.<

Tell me about it :p, I've had this bloody thing stuck in my head since the first teaser trailer last year!

This is my favourite theme from the film - from the warg chase and the bunny sled diversion scene ;) :
[video=youtube;_nO8hSOsKok]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nO8hSOsKok[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.