• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

General Discussion About The Ranks..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zainab

I want to know , how will be the rank managed? Say like who will be the general,captain etc???? Or we need to level up..

Aniallator

We discussed this a lot some weeks ago, and opinions are mixed. But here's mine...

I'm very much against a leveling up system; this isn't H&G, this is TW. We're here to play a teamwork-based tactical WW2 realism shooter, not to level up and get a rainbow helmet. However, I do think we need ranks... BUT NOT IN THE WAY YOU PROBABLY THINK. I'm not talking about CoD-esque ranks where you begin as a Private and rank up, finishing as a General. No, I'm talking about literal, static ranks that pertain to what class you're playing as in that game, not to your account. Let's say you join a game, join the Brits, join an infantry squad, and play as the NCO. Being the NCO, you'd have the rank of corporal. As long as you're NCO, classes with any rank below corporal are subordinate to you. You can't rank up of course, you stay as that rank. If you change classes, your rank changes to that pertaining to your new class.

Zainab

We discussed this a lot some weeks ago, and opinions are mixed. But here's mine...

I'm very much against a leveling up system; this isn't H&G, this is TW. We're here to play a teamwork-based tactical WW2 realism shooter, not to level up and get a rainbow helmet. However, I do think we need ranks... BUT NOT IN THE WAY YOU PROBABLY THINK. I'm not talking about CoD-esque ranks where you begin as a Private and rank up, finishing as a General. No, I'm talking about literal, static ranks that pertain to what class you're playing as in that game, not to your account. Let's say you join a game, join the Brits, join an infantry squad, and play as the NCO. Being the NCO, you'd have the rank of corporal. As long as you're NCO, classes with any rank below corporal are subordinate to you. You can't rank up of course, you stay as that rank. If you change classes, your rank changes to that pertaining to your new class.

I also thinks the same, I hate the system of leveling up , go get some XP and level up...I hope there will be classes, and which one you want to join etc like.

Esu21

So I will get promoted,then demoted,demoted even more,promoted... xD Just kidding, I also hate the XP system,but that way you get the feel when you start with nothing and go slowly ranking up. But thats for grinding games

Aniallator

Well, here's what I'd like to see for XP... that it's earned on a squad level, meaning all earned XP goes to the squad score; you don't have a score. Once the game's over, the squad's XP score is divided so the players in the squad get equal amounts. Let's say you have four people in your squad, and in the game your squad earns 400 points. Once the game's over, you'd thus get 100 XP points (courtesy to @FlyingR for the XP division idea).

XP points in TW wouldn't actually do anything, they'd just be there to show you... how good you are. Something like that.

Last edited:

VonMudra

There is no ranking system in the works- the most might be a scoreboard at round end like FH2.

Also, I'd note, the easy way to tell if someone is in the team or not is to look at our names/profiles. Please understand that no one who is not a dev on the team can speak for what we actually are doing, nor are we nessicarily going/planning to do something just because it is discussed in depth on this forum by non-TW Devs. :p

Simon

There is no ranking system in the works- the most might be a scoreboard at round end like FH2.

Also, I'd note, the easy way to tell if someone is in the team or not is to look at our names/profiles. Please understand that no one who is not a dev on the team can speak for what we actually are doing, nor are we nessicarily going/planning to do something just because it is discussed in depth on this forum by non-TW Devs. :p

Make it in a way kills wont show on scoreboard, just player names, and at the end of the round reveal how many kills someone got.

FlyingR

The thing is that ranking is realistic, but sadly the problem is that it has been overused, including in the most stupid of ways (COD...) so now it's pretty annoying to see it. Other than that, rank has always been part of every army in the world throughout the centuries.

I wouldn't mind it if it was well implemented, not only based on kills... rather have multiple sources of deciding promotion/demotion your rank (votes from the squad members, squads, commander, team points, squad points, etc.). The only privileges would be that they would have priority in being squad leaders or something like that. Something realistic. They would have whatever weapons NCOs/COs had, not like unlocking OP weapons like STG44 that shoot flaming dinosaurs. Sure it has it's pros and cons, and of course it won't be implemented in Chapter 1.

The score/stats would be kept track of in the website with user profile and/or in-game profile or even after the game has ended. When playing though, there should not be any track of score. Use the TAB button for something more useful!

Make it in a way kills wont show on scoreboard, just player names, and at the end of the round reveal how many kills someone got.

That's like WWIIO, where the kills, rank and such show when you die or despawn.

Sydd

Eh, I couldn't care much about ranks, if they are there then awesome, if they aren't then... meh. However, with that being said I would most certainly like to see stats such as time spent ingame playing as which type of unit, number of objectives secured, times awarded best squad status etc.

Aniallator

The thing is that ranking is realistic, but sadly the problem is that it has been overused, including in the most stupid of ways (COD...) so now it's pretty annoying to see it. Other than that, rank has always been part of every army in the world throughout the centuries.

I wouldn't mind it if it was well implemented, not only based on kills... rather have multiple sources of deciding promotion/demotion your rank (votes from the squad members, squads, commander, team points, squad points, etc.). The only privileges would be that they would have priority in being squad leaders or something like that. Something realistic. They would have whatever weapons NCOs/COs had, not like unlocking OP weapons like STG44 that shoot flaming dinosaurs. Sure it has it's pros and cons, and of course it won't be implemented in Chapter 1.
But TW isn't an RPG... IMO don't have demoting or promoting, or anything. Just one rank, dependant on your class, if there are ranks.

The score/stats would be kept track of in the website with user profile and/or in-game profile or even after the game has ended. When playing though, there should not be any track of score. Use the TAB button for something more useful!
I think keep the TAB scoreboard, but have it show no more than what players are on what team, and their ping. I mean, once the round's over the scoreboard ought to appear and have kills et cetera shown, but only once the round's over (so for example, not while you're dead).

Wouldn't mind ranks
it should be based on how many battles you fought not how many kills you get.
This should not be a grind fest like H&G.
How it should work is

all start at a rank 0

fight one battle to get to rank 1

fight 5 to get to rank 2

fight 10 to get to rank 3

that what I propose let me know what you think

FlyingR

Wouldn't mind ranks
it should be based on how many battles you fought not how many kills you get.
This should not be a grind fest like H&G.
How it should work is

all start at a rank 0

fight one battle to get to rank 1

fight 5 to get to rank 2

fight 10 to get to rank 3

that what I propose let me know what you think

A drawback to that proposition is that one could join a battle, then instantly leave, join and leave, join and leave, etc. Sure there could be a way of stopping that but meh.

I think if there is any ranking system it should be one that promotes teamwork.
[MENTION=2108]Aniallator[/MENTION], I know it has been a long time, but yeah, I know it's not an RPG the demoting/promoting was to motivate players from not being assholes and work as a team. Other than that I agree with you on everything :D

Status
Not open for further replies.