• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Greatest War Film/Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Greatest War Film/Series

I thought it would be interesting to have a poll on the greatest war film/series so to kick off the nominations I nominate Band of Brothers.

Nominations will close when we have a good variation and number of films. The film/series does NOT have to be about WW2 only about war.

Bob_Bobber0

Re: Greatest War Film/Series

BoB. Thread Closed.

lol seriously though... what else comes even remotely close?

I heard there was a movie that was basically the german version of band of brothers, based on the eastern front in russia.. cant remember the name... heard it was good.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games

There are others which are quiet good. Perhaps we should exclude BoB because everyone here is blatantly biased :p

BuLL

Just my favourite war film of my era.If I was going to stay totally patriotic it would have
been Dambusters.(barnes wallace"clever chap" ;D)

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer

The Longest Day. Simply the most epic movie ever made, watch it in black and white and you'll throw your silly BoB away in the trash bin.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games

I liked Save Private Ryan.

Haven't seen to many BoB episodes so sorry for my noobish-film-knowledge.

Maniche

Sir Apple

I'd vote 'The Longest Day'. I liked how it showed a small fraction of the war from multiple sides.

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer

Even though it's a typical 60's/70's war movie when portraying the actual combat, the great thing about the Longest Day is indeed, as Apple states, the neutral view of the movie. You don't just follow the hero, you got alot of heroes. In this movie the Germans are not just the bad guys, they play a big part in it. And who doesn't loves a movie with John Wayne  8)

VonMudra

Hmm, I gotta go with Gettysburg, The Longest Day, or A Bridge Too Far.

Can't stand Saving Private Ryan or Battle of the Bulge, but I guess that's cuz I'm a stickler for historical accuracy and fact instead of hollywood history....

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I'd forgotten a Bridge too far - got to watch that again when I get a chance. You've also got to love the great music ;)

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer
Stalingrad (1993) is also a very good watch. Bought it a week ago and going to watch it on birthdays eve with friends. Movie night with war movies and alot of food. Thats a real birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.