• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Half-Life Appreciation Thread (News/Rumours/Favourite Moments etc..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Most people seem to have played Half-Life these days so I thought what is debatable the Godfather of modern computer games deserved it's own thread.

So to start with fresh(ish) rumours of the Half-Life 3.

[video=youtube;_Fl4s9T79n0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_Fl4s9T79n0[/video]

‘We’ve been working on Valve’s new engine stuff for a while, we’re probably just waiting for a game to roll it out with,’ was his reply.
When asked whether this was going to be an all-new engine and more than just another refinement he answered, ‘Yeah’.

At no point did he mention the word Source 2 but that aspect of the interrogation seems relatively unambiguous, not to mention completely unsurprising.
Things get more cryptic when the subject of Half-Life 3 comes up, with Newell confirming that Valve is working on a new game for the new engine: Ricochet 2.
The original Ricochet was a relatively obscure mod for the first Half-Life, and talk of a sequel has often been used as euphemism for Half-Life 3 itself.
As far as the fans in the video are concerned confirmation of Ricochet 2 was really confirmation of Half-Life 3 (nobody seems to be pretending Half-Life 2: Episode Three is coming any more). The fact that the name is never mentioned though means we can’t be so sure.

Source: Gabe Newell confirms Half-Life 3 and Source 2 (sort of) | Metro News

So perhaps there will be a Half-Life 3 after-all?

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
I've certain they are working on another Half Life and, knowing how Valve work, could also be working on Portal 3, TF3 and L4D3 at the same time. But I don't think we'll get an episode 3, that whole Valve-does-episodic-gaming thing failed pretty miserably. I'm sure they'll announce something this year seeing as they haven't got anything on they're schedule now DoTA 2s here.

Also it's very fitting for Gabe Newell to be given a hat for his birthday :p

brrr

TW Developer
Remember seeing this vid a while ago. Very interesting, though sometimes hard to hear what everyone's saying :p. I just wish Gabe would stop calling it Ricochet 2, everyone knows that's a code name so there's not point in continuing to use it.

Looking forward to seeing what they have been working on for the past couple of years. I'd say if they don't announce or show something this year then their loyal fan-base may start to buckle a bit. Announcing another portal or left 4 dead would probably do more damage than good at this point.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
Announcing another portal or left 4 dead would probably do more damage than good at this point.

My thoughts exactly. I think anything other than a Half Life related announcement would cause damage. I mean I've enjoyed everything they've released since Episode 2, but I think it's time to put what they've learnt back into what made them popular in the first place.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Personally I wouldn't mind another Portal game as I thought both to be superb but I would certainly agree with L4D which I don't think really benefited that much from a sequel.

Part of me thinks of Valve/Source as being somehow out of date these days. They still get successes but they're not blazing the trail that they used to - my hope is they're saving it up to make a new Half-Life game which is just as revolutionary as the first was.

Black Mesa was a brilliant mod - a true superstar of the modding world in my eyes.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
[h=1]Valve boss Gabe Newell awarded Bafta fellowship[/h]
Valve was being honoured for its games and its work with players, said Bafta
Continue reading the main story

Looks like Gabe is getting (yet another) award.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
Saw that the other day. I think he's going to collect all his trophies and arrange them on a field so it spells out an announcement of Half Life 3 :p

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Not strictly Half Life I know but has anyone tried the Steam phone app?

I've been using it on and off since release but it was only today I noticed you can remotely access your Steam client from the app to check on download progress or start a game downloading.

So now as your doing your grocery shopping thinking "I fancy some Portal action" you can set the game downloading so its ready and waiting for you for when you get home... Assuming you left your PC on of course..

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
I used it briefly, but didn't really have much use for it other than talking to Steam friends.

Valve apparently grew 50% last year, soon they might top Apple! Also Jonathon Ross is a terrible host...

Status
Not open for further replies.