• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Heer_Sturmfuhrer's gameplay suggestions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I decided to gather together a few ideas which might interest those involved in the development of the game. So without further or do, here are a couple I feel could warrant some merit.

1.) Removal of scoreboard system ala Red Orchestra fame to promote a more team / objective orientated gameplay experience.

2.) Voting system to swear in Officers at the start of each game instead of the usual, first come, first gets system in-play in most games. Now those who deserve the position will be sworn in.

3.) NCO chosen by the Officer.

4.) Squad Leaders chosen by the NCO.

5.) MG / Mortar / AT Infantry chosen by each Squad Leader.

5.) Player ranking / promotions based upon Officer / NCO post-game recommendations. 2 recommendations for advancement to corporal, 4 for Lance Cpl, 8 for Sergeant and so on. On the other hand, the Officer or NCO could also vote against a player as a result of his / her obstructive actions in the match, 2 strikes and you are demoted.

6.) Battlefield commissions in recognition of good team work, for example being on the winning team for 2/3 games in a row, not dieing / dieing less in a match, being in the cap zone for 50% of the objective captures, taking out a vehicle e.t.c.

7.) Locking out non-tankcrewmen from using anything more powerful than an armored car.

8.) The ability for players to improve their effectiveness with individual weapons / vehicles via continued use, be it just generally usage but also successful hits / kills? Just a simple progression bar than can represent a soldier becoming accustomed to his weapon of choice, perhaps reducing weapon sway, increasing the time taken to bolt / reload a weapon or shell.

9.) Players weapon effectiveness / experience visible in the pre-game battle interface (when choosing unit type), thus squad leaders can choose the best player to suit a role within his squad, i.e if a player has the highest experience with the MG, he could be chosen ahead of someone with less experience.

10.) Surfaces such as stone, brick, asphalt e.t.c cause ricochets of bullets within a small radius.

11.) Directional screen blur / screen rip to indicate incoming bullets from a certain angle.

12.) Player heart beat increase during a firefight, background ambient is faded, effects are heightened, Field of view is narrowed to simulate adrenaline.

13.) Tank crews / armored car crews becoming dis-orientated after hit from a shell.

14.) The ability for infantry to smash tank optics / vision slit glass.

15.) Radio chatter. Officers and NCOs has exclusive channel to squad leaders. Squad leaders have ability to switch to squad / officer channel. This is in order to clarify chatter. When using radio chatter, radio is heard externally thus gives away your position if trying to remain undetected.

16.) Ability to turn off radio comms.

17.) Ammuntion supply system similar to that of Red Orchestra, i.e press G to resupply when near.

19.) Unreliable grenade fuses to stop player reliance on grenade spamming / cooking grenades.

20.) Changing the way the Sniper Class is chosen. Possibly, those who have the highest head / torso hit ratio based upon previous game stats with a rifle are chosen at the start of each game as the company sniper. However, the chosen sniper can also waver the sniper role thus passing it onto the next eligible candidate. This would help to solidify the snipers role as that of an experienced, elite position within the company / platoon achieved by merit. This will thus ensure only those who have the skills required will be given the opportunity to perform in the role. Obviously once your accuracy of head / torso shots deteriorates, you will lose your position within the ladder of those in the running for the sniper class. Alternatively, if there is more than one person with the same accuracy %, the class is distributed at random, thus again eliminating the classic first comes, first served situation of class selection.

22.) In-game players required to use a real surname or pseudonym, this will help to prevent griefing as players will instantly recognize 'bad' players and will also help to establish a real community of people instead of faceless characters. Ranks will also be applied as a prefix to each surname, i.e Private P.Jones, or LCpl D.Smith, Obergefreiter F.Klaus instead of the usual XhardcoreSniper*"*" names.

23.) The ability to drop ammunition from your current weapon, i.e Rifle if you have 4 spare clips, you can press Z to drop 1 clip until you have no more to drop. This could be useful to prevent team mates who are out of ammo from needlessly exposing themselves trying to scavenge enemy weapons for ammunition.

That is all I can think of for now, will update when I have some new ideas.

Thanks in advanced,

Sturm.

Last edited:

Roughbeak

Thanks for registering here Sturm, welcome to the community.

An officer and nco.. now that's an idea! :D

Always wanted to be one of those stuffy British officers. :)

_Franky_

Those suggestions are really great actually, so thanks for taking the time to write up such a detailed list! :) Makes me a little sad though because as an artist I wouldn't know how to implement any of those :/ Lots of custom code behind all that.

Nevetos

For some reason I can't see Heer Sturmfuhrers post/suggestion? Oh and _Franky_ I thought MSN doesn't exist anymore as it's now Skype???

_Franky_

Yeah it was invisible for me to at first, probably due to editing.
As for my contact info, the forum site wont let me remove it for some odd reason. I tried replacing it with only my skype... :(

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
/Re-approved - the anti-spam filter flagged your post based on a keyword filter. I'll keep an eye on it as it shouldn't be acting so aggressively with posts from full members.

Roughbeak

Wow! These things you keep mentioning are truly amazing. You should seriously think about joining the team as a realism adviser. :)

Further suggestions:

22.) One life game mode. In gaming terms, a game mode where the player only has one life, this could either be referred to as 'Realism mode' or 'True-life mode'. This game mode however would require the following other suggestions to work in tandem to make the game-mode plausible.

23.) Players fall into a 'bleed-out' stage or 'loss of consciousness' when they have received critical hits to the torso or thighs. This bleed out lasts 1:30 where aafter the player will eventually die out. During this time however he can be patched up by a combat medic. Once in the 'bleed out' phase, players will be able to slowly drag themselves towards a direction all the while external sound is reduced and a heart beat sound is prominent, slowly diminishing in volume by the time the player dies.

24.) The ability for comrades to firemans lift wounded colleagues out of danger and to a secluded area where a combat medic can treat him.

25.) Combat medics as a player class. The only unit on the field with the ability to patch a soldier from a critical condition to a stable condition. Holding the 'G' key when within a certain distance of a critically wounded comrade will initiate a progression bar indicating the progress of the treatment. A simple gameplay mechanic, can be supplemented with a hand animation showing the hands treating a wound for example. Once the treatment has been completed, say after 1:30, the healed soldier will now be in a 'stable' as opposed to a 'healthy' or 'critical' state where he will regain all his normal functions at the cost of a stamina reduction and increased weapon sway.

26.) Each player can only go into a critical bleed out state once, any time thereafter he will die instantly due to the body fatigue from previous wounds.

27.) Players can heal themselves using their field aid kits, but only when they have received 'non-critical' wounds to either the arms or legs. A wound to the leg reducing sprint time and stamina, a wound to the hand increasing weapon sway even after being treated.

28.) Shots from weapons to appear on the mini map as small red beacons that momentarily appear. The louder the weapon, the bigger the beacon blip. For instance a pistol would cause a small red blip on the map, whereas an AT rifle or Sniper would cause a larger more prolonged beacon on the map. This could help to simulate directional sounds, meaning no sniper could remain undetected for the entire game relying on other players poor speaker setup to disguise his whereabouts. This feature could be optimized for just snipers if the mini-map becomes cluttered.

The above game mode suggestion would further help to bond a team during a match, with reliance upon not only friendly soldiers helping out their wounded comrades, but also the combat medic, personifying his roles importance in keeping as many men in the field as possible. Snipers could therefore purposely lure out soldiers by wounding a man, thereby drawing out his comrades and even a combat medic into his line of fire. I feel the aforementioned ideas would help to further build upon the tried and tested 'one-life' game mode, shaping it into a fun and feasible mode of play.

Thanks,
Sturm.

Last edited:

Nevetos

Again some lovely ideas. Now I want to add some things for once, as I can now see your suggestions ;)

#2-5a: Obviously the people you play with are all serious and stuff, but there will always be trolling people. What I mean, if there is a group of noobs players that have no idea on how the game works together in Skype (or TS3 or whatever they use...) they will most likely want to make themselves NCO/Officer and give themselves the best/preferred class. Secondly, if there is a lot of people playing this, who on earth would want to compare and assign 10-20 players roles?...

#5b: Same as above, friends would always 'recommend' their own friends for promotion, some would just ignore it, others would just recommend everyone and others will feel like trolls and 'demote' everyone...

#8: Maybe even make it when people drive vehicles a lot, they get more control over it, it gets faster, takes less damage, same for planes. Or if your in a tank, make it the longer you are a gunner, the better the accuracy, if you are a loader, the faster you load etc.

#14: The ability to track them & the ability to repair certain elements of a tank/plane

#20: That is kinda how I would think it would be best to choose all classes for characters, i.e. rankings in certain elements.

#22: Nice thing but you would have to do something against spawn camping and team killing

#23: Also the ability to shout for a medic, this should be only used when the enemy can't hear you, otherwise they find out the location of you and your teammates.

#24: Great idea, but when you urgently need that cover and are carrying somebody you'll stand up and be a 'sitting' duck

#27: It should also give them the opportunity to help other players with non critical wounds if they run out of first aid stuff, plus field medics should have a limited supply of bandages and maybe some extra first aid stuff for normal soldiers to resupply

That is what I would add & change ;)

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
I think the game should stay away from direct stat improvement, it affects "skill balance" too much (aka skilled high-lvl people become exponentially more powerful while the low-level newbs have to suffer through it all).

However, having all soldiers perform the same is also kind of boring (like having an army of clones). What could be added as an additional skill factor would be (as seen in games like Gears of War), for example when reloading your magazine, you have some kind of "progress" bar, where you have to hold R for an exact amount of time/or press it mutiple times in a sequence, and if you do it correct you reload faster, otherwise you start fumbling with your magazine and the reload takes longer. Same could go for tanks.

Another "indirect" improvement could be the ability to carry additional magazines, bandages, a sidearm or an alternative (captured) weapon etc as player "progresses" in rank. Of course this would have to be limited and have some negative consequences, for example more equipment makes you slower when running, and possibly make it so a player has to make a choice on what to use (can't have all at once).

Damage taken should never be messed with (as a direct improvement) but there could be some different element that can be improved (you can call it "luck" or more appropriately "veterancy") such as grenade fuse fail chance, or weapon jam chance (if you are planning to add something like that), or surviving one lucky shot in a 1000. However, this is a very sensitive area, as players don't like their control taken away from them.

Wow! These things you keep mentioning are truly amazing. You should seriously think about joining the team as a realism adviser. :)

I think these two things need to get to the gameplay
you have to play the game by a real battlefield
not like call of duty

i am dutch and it is a nice game

Roughbeak

#2-5a: Obviously the people you play with are all serious and stuff, but there will always be trolling people. What I mean, if there is a group of noobs players that have no idea on how the game works together in Skype (or TS3 or whatever they use...) they will most likely want to make themselves NCO/Officer and give themselves the best/preferred class...

Yeah... I can see this one coming> "Hey you noob you just stole 'my' NCO kit"... noob *tks*. Done ;)

VonMudra

Leave imaginary ranks to gaming clans and organizations. If people want to play that way, they can, but don't over-complicate stuff. This isn't the army, this is a game.

Duke

1.) Good idea, yet is would be better to give the players for example 5x more points for objectives than for kills. For example: Kill 3 points, assist 1, squad assist 2, capturing objective 15, destroying objective 20, killing in capture zone 4....

2-5.) Awesome idea, but this would need a new game mode, which would not be a problem for me. This way we could keep away non-cooperative players.

8-9.) One of the best ideas!

13.) Seems legit!

14.) Dear Developers! You must make this possible. This way the crewman would have to expose himself for aiming!

19.) Cooking grenades is awesome! Unreliable fuses would be good, until they are realistic, about me its like 1-2 seconds MAX.

15.) A pyramid scheme radio system would be almost as good as the 3d voice chat, as long as the players can spawn on his squad/fireteam.

21.) This is a very important thing in a realistic game!

Thank you for the suggestions! I am not a dev. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.