• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

How will the game start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanderman

Vanguard Backer
After looking at what the first chapter entails, I was wondering, how will matches start? Will there be a cinematic before a battle to set the scene, i.e the British paratroopers in the gliders landing in the fields while the Germans start setting up their defensive postions or will it just be a nation selection screen and basic over view of the map?

drummer93

After looking at what the first chapter entails, I was wondering, how will matches start? Will there be a cinematic before a battle to set the scene, i.e the British paratroopers in the gliders landing in the fields while the Germans start setting up their defensive postions or will it just be a nation selection screen and basic over view of the map?

why do you want cinematics? o_O

litchu

I wouldn't mind having the actual reconnaissance images with some small things drawn on it such as the objectives and landing zones

Aniallator

Well, what [MENTION=938]litchu[/MENTION] suggested would be cool; reconnaissance photos from the war with objectives and whatnot drawn on them. However, you could also begin a game with something really cool; for example, playing as the Brits on the Pegasus Bridge map, you'd parachute from a Dakota. As the Germans, you begin on and around Pegasus bridge. On the Merville Battery map, as the Brits that game would begin with you in a landing Horsa glider. As the Germans you'd begin the game in and around the battery. Or on a Gold or Sword Beach map, you'd begin the game as the Brits in LCVPs heading towards the beach, or begin the game as the Germans in the coastal defenses. This would be pretty hardcore, of course, and would take a lot of time and resources. In the long run, though, I think it would be awesome.

Mars

Pathfinder Games
We actually looked into and prototyped cinematic intros, but to get it to the quality we want it proved to be too much a huge effort for the whole team. We love the idea, but we just don't have the resources! Not enough games do them.

drummer93

Well it doesn't have to be cinematics but it would be nice if something could set the scene, like litchu said, have some historical photos or a map of objectives.

ohh, yes it's a good idea :). Simple and very useful

Last edited:

Xanderman

Vanguard Backer
We actually looked into and prototyped cinematic intros, but to get it to the quality we want it proved to be too much a huge effort for the whole team. We love the idea, but we just don't have the resources! Not enough games do them.
That's a shame but I understand, you're only a small team and you can't do everything. What will you do then if you don't mind me asking?

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
Well I don't know about you, but the length and quantity of logos before you get to a menu in games these days is a real pain in the cookie-buttocks. The shortest time possible between launching and sitting at the menu is something I'm pretty keen on.

FlyingR

It would be cool for the loading screen to have sort of like Project Reality. What it would be nice to have would be:
- The minimap of the map would be cool to have so you know whats the map will look like and you can plan things in advance.
- The mission of the map would be good to have, in this map you have to do cap the flag, defend or whatever according to the actual mission.
- Either real photos of the war or ingame pictures (or both!).
- Tips and advices that many people forget to do would be cool too.
- Historical info or cool facts of the battle that will be played.
- Last but not least amazing music that makes you want to charge into battle and kill everybody with a shovel.

Aniallator

In the end, just keep it simple. Have a few in-game black-and-white aerial reconnaissance-style photos of the map, with objectives and possible routes drawn on them, and amazing TW music in the background. No need to clutter the screen. Keep it neat, simple, and done in a way that implies the realism (hence making the photo black-and-white and making it look like aerial reconnaissance from the war).

litchu

In the end, just keep it simple. Have a few in-game black-and-white aerial reconnaissance-style photos of the map, with objectives and possible routes drawn on them, and amazing TW music in the background. No need to clutter the screen. Keep it neat, simple, and done in a way that implies the realism (hence making the photo black-and-white and making it look like aerial reconnaissance from the war).

They're basing all of their maps on pictures they already have ( like this: Traction Wars - WWII Realism Game - Dev Blog #20: Digging into the Detail (Part 2/3) ), so why bother making in-game screenshots look like reconnaissance pictures while they have the actual ones?

Aniallator

mmiedzianyy

Everything to keep the "inteligence" helpful. I think that all the little things like "reconnaissance pictures", music in the background and some morale boosting speech/letter before the battle will set up the mood and make the game extraordinary.

Status
Not open for further replies.