• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Kickstarter and erm some other bits

Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest update was f00king unreal, ive been waiting to see pont de ranville and pegasus bridge rendered so beautifully since this mod was first announced,

call of duty did a decent job of this area and looks like this will be one better, and in HD.

I have got loads of Questions but no point in asking as i am sure they wont get answered ha, i have not had time for PC gaming in recent years due to real life commitments, but i am really exited about this one it may just bring back out the geek in me.

and secondly, are you still hiring for talent

Thirdly this project seems so ripe for a kickstarter campaign, i have had many an experience of Social media campaign and this just screams out for one.

Lastly im shortly going to be building a new rig will this have the same sort of recommended system specs as say crysis.

Sydd

We've all tried dumping money and gold plated items at them, they simply refuse to take it. The devs stated that this project was free and every dev is doing their job out of passion and out of love for this game, they don't want to be paid for it, there's no organisation behind them and they work in their free time. They do accept cookies tho'
In other words kickstarter is a no go for them.
Btw there may be questions that have not yet been asked, not many of us are active in this community so there are only a limited number of ideas and suggestions going about, so post yours as well! I enjoy brainstorming and debating.

Recommended specs are in.. faq section of the website, their recruitment is open for some selected positions.. I think I saw a tab called join us on the top left somewhere...

Feldmeijer

The latest update was f00king unreal, ive been waiting to see pont de ranville and pegasus bridge rendered so beautifully since this mod was first announced,

call of duty did a decent job of this area and looks like this will be one better, and in HD.

I have got loads of Questions but no point in asking as i am sure they wont get answered ha, i have not had time for PC gaming in recent years due to real life commitments, but i am really exited about this one it may just bring back out the geek in me.

and secondly, are you still hiring for talent

Thirdly this project seems so ripe for a kickstarter campaign, i have had many an experience of Social media campaign and this just screams out for one.

Lastly im shortly going to be building a new rig will this have the same sort of recommended system specs as say crysis.

The thing about donations/kickstarters/whatever is...

This game isn't being created by a company, not even a small "Indie" one. Instead this game is being developed by a small group of students and people who are not part of any financial group whatsoever, which also means that they simply won't accept donations at all. (cookies are fine though)

DerJoachim

I dont understand why they dont accept at least some donations, i would gladly pump money on them, as i badly need a decent WW2 game to waste my life for years to come... :D some money wont hurt the project i guess, just sayng.

Think we all wouldn`t mind donating some fundage for the "cause" called Traction Wars. I also think the way it is being developed, especially now, will only make us all appreciate playing it even more.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
Money complicate things - be it licenses, "salary" (if you want to call it that), etc. the list goes on.

We're happy with out approach and none of the team thinks differently - they're still here so, haha!

But cookies on the other hand - well, you know the rest!

/Crunch

FlyingR

Someone in the Dev team said, if I'm not mistaken, that currently they do not accept donations. However, later, maybe some will be accepted.

I saw this with Forgotten Honor and Project Reality, so I guess it's a matter of time (?). The problem is with the servers and all the other logistics that keep the game up online, it can get to a point where it adds up and even if the team can pay it, it will be a point where too much is too much maybe.

It wouldn't be fair to let the team pay everything, they make a game, with their own resources and own free time that could be sold for quite a lot of $$$ but decide to make it free. I believe that the community should give something back in return when it will be needed.

(It's a shame that Paypal does not allow cookies as currency... we should start a petition at Change.org)

I would just hate to see this go the way of some other good mods i.e resistance and liberation etc, raise profile = more players = more attention, can only be a good thing

as there any plans to get this on Steam Green light also.

anyway a few questions.

Will Vehicles be manned and will you need to be a certain class to use them.

Pegasus Bridge map, will it have night/day lighting to reflect the capture and counter-defense of the actual bridge(S)

Will the artillery piece i cant remember the exact model of the gun be available for use, just like Wally Parr used on D-Day

Mars

Pathfinder Games
I'd say we're not doing this for the money, but more as a hobby... at least for me anyway. And it just so happens a game comes out at the end of this hobby. I designed levels for existing games previously and it just seemed really fun building something from the ground up using the most advanced engine out there.

TW is a lot of hard work and there are instances where access to capital would help, but I'm personally not a fan of taking money from the community. What if we release the game and you don't like it? Some people would want refunds and there will be some bad blood out there. This is my opinion anyway, not the team's.

Sydd

Vehicles.. I don't know if they are planning on releasing any in the first update.. the overlord chapter. But the second chapter focuses on tanks, so it would make sense for the devs to be working on vehicles at that time.
As far as we know, Pegasus bridge will be a night map which is basically a historical representation of the brit troops landing in normandy. But I reckon its safe to presume that there will be a modified day map which would be a historical representation of the German counterattack.

I think artillery like the 88 will exist in the first chapter but its unclear if the devs can unleash these "show pieces" in the first chapter.

I'd say we're not doing this for the money, but more as a hobby... at least for me anyway. And it just so happens a game comes out at the end of this hobby. I designed levels for existing games previously and it just seemed really fun building something from the ground up using the most advanced engine out there.

TW is a lot of hard work and there are instances where access to capital would help, but I'm personally not a fan of taking money from the community. What if we release the game and you don't like it? Some people would want refunds and there will be some bad blood out there. This is my opinion anyway, not the team's.

i fully get where your coming from with that mate, but Website hosting costs money, servers cost money etc, then even with a free total conversion i believe there is a marketing aspect to get the project out there so to speak.

i sound like an bloody agent haha. there is many ways you can use a kickstarter i for one think you's should take full advantage of it but hey im not on the team just my opinion :)

Aniallator

as there any plans to get this on Steam Green light also.
Unknown. Putting the game on Steam seems generally in favor, though.

Will Vehicles be manned and will you need to be a certain class to use them.
Vehicles will be player-controlled, yes... why wouldn't they be? Class requirements will depend on the vehicle. For example, trucks won't need a specific class(es), but tanks will.

Pegasus Bridge map, will it have night/day lighting to reflect the capture and counter-defense of the actual bridge(S)
Unknown. If not in Chapter One, then perhaps later.

Will the artillery piece i cant remember the exact model of the gun be available for use, just like Wally Parr used on D-Day
We know we'll have the Flak 88 and Pak 43, and maybe the 25-pounder Mk. III. Having the 6-pounder Mk. IV seems logical. However, whether or not these will be usable in Chapter One remains unknown. We know the Flak 88 won't be usable before Chapter Two, and being an AT weapon, I'd guess the same for the Pak 43. While not really artillery, we'll have the Flak 38 as well, though whether or not it'll be usable I don't know (I'd assume it will, at some point).

Sydd

i fully get where your coming from with that mate, but Website hosting costs money, servers cost money etc

(S) They have a secret massive 3rd party corporation that owns multiple oil fields funding their websites. Oh and don't look at me cause I'm not the one. (/s)

FlyingR

Pegasus Bridge will be during night time, the reason why there's daylight in the pictures is for the devs to see better where they put stuff and for us to also see the details better!
Plus the para drops were done at night in real life...
[MENTION=2672]Sydd[/MENTION], he was talking to Mars :p

Sydd

I know, but I feel... rather sinister so I had to mention the secret massive corporation :c

Pegasus Bridge will be during night time, the reason why there's daylight in the pictures is for the devs to see better where they put stuff and for us to also see the details better!
Plus the para drops were done at night in real life...
@Sydd, he was talking to Mars :p

Haway man i know that haha id be ashamed if i didnt xx

I agree. I hope to be the part of the team in near future. And time will tell if I get the change and how much time I have for this game. I see this project/game to get a change to help the team out. And hopefully shorten the time a bit. I wanted this game for years! And I hope to get something for my showreel and good connections. I think the game should go on kickstarter not to get payed but to use the money on like voice actors, and that kind of things.

Fegelein

Whoops, I'm late in this post, heheh.

So, since devs don't accept money, then how can I send them some homemade cookies? ^^

HopeDiesLast

I dont understand why they dont accept at least some donations, i would gladly pump money on them, as i badly need a decent WW2 game to waste my life for years to come... :D some money wont hurt the project i guess, just sayng.

i wish you stay in Heroes and Generals to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.