• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Magazines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to implement a magazine system in which, if you have a thirty round magazine, shoot 25 rounds and reload, the magazine with five bullets left just gets cycled to the back of your inventory so that it can be used again when you've run out of 30 round clips. Ideally, clips which are completely spent would just be thrown away so you wouldn't have to cycle back through them. Is this implementable?

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
It's implementable although it would mean rewriting a section of the code. I'm not sure soldiers would hang on to half empty clips in the heat of battle though?

litchu

i think it should be like the beginning of bf3 where when you reloaded and there were bullets left in the clip they would just dissapear.. becaus just like naga said theres no soldier who would really recycle his bullets but saving half full clips while firefighting

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Plus of course if bullets were wasted in discarded clips it would help encourage people not to reload everyone they fire even one bullet...

VonMudra

Quite. In reality, they just didn't really reload midclip.... Was a waste of precious ammo.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
So basically yes we could do but it wouldn't be realistic... so we won't ;)

Nice idea though - keep them coming :)

Davies

Vanguard Friend
Soldiers did and still do reload with rounds still left in the magazine. It is placed back into the pouches and later after battle, one takes rounds from one magazine and replaces them into the half empty one or simply has them refilled by the Quartermaster. Even empty magazines were retained, to be refilled and reused. There was a war on you know!

VonMudra

Magazines were absolutely held on to (and the reload time ingame will reflect that they had to put them back in their pouches), just reloading mid clip was not common from all accounts I have read. They fired until they ran out of ammo and then reloaded, especially since weapons that were mag fed were, in most cases, full auto. Especially important to remember is soldiers were not counting bullets or such in battles. They fired bursts until they had to reload, and that's about it.

Nic727

It's better to have that when you reload, you just loosing all your bullet in it than put them somewhere on you for futur use.

Everman

i love this in games because, YES, this is a true issue. you dont load a new mag in real warfare after only firing 6 rounds. you wait for that click and your weapon to lock in the open bolt position. thats when you know the mag is empty and a new one is needed. NOW, there is a "HOWEVER" in this "losing the rounds" argument. when a mag is empty soldiers do have a tendency of throwing the empty mag on the ground and forgetting about it. HOWEVER, we are trained to use our ammo pouches on our body armor when changing mags. we are supposed to put the empty mag in a pouch and load a new one keeping them on your person. so if you fired only 6 rounds and wanted a fresh mag you would put it back into a pouch and slapping in a new one essentially saving those rounds for another time. not know if that would be the case in WW2 but hey...thats our practices.

Magazines were absolutely held on to (and the reload time ingame will reflect that they had to put them back in their pouches), just reloading mid clip was not common from all accounts I have read. They fired until they ran out of ammo and then reloaded, especially since weapons that were mag fed were, in most cases, full auto. Especially important to remember is soldiers were not counting bullets or such in battles. They fired bursts until they had to reload, and that's about it.
Revisiting this. Whilst it's true that that is what happened in real life, in game, people are going to reload regardless of whether they have reached the end of their clip or not, and of course they won't want to just throw bullets away. Red Orchestra 2 Has this as I'm sure you're all aware, and it's a handy trick to know when you should run away and get more ammo. I still think it's a good idea anyway, but I guess if you have to redo the code then it's probably not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.