• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Melee Combat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanderman

Vanguard Backer
Hello, haven't been on the forum in a while and I was thinking about how the melee combat would be implemented in the game? I was thinking about this because, RO2, one of my favourite games of all time has a very clunky/unintuitive melee system which can lead to some very comedic moments that can ruin the immersion. Could the devs shed a bit of light on the melee mechanics possibly? I.e will it just simply be a one hit kill stab? or will there be the option to block/parry? Anyway discuss...

Aniallator

Hello, haven't been on the forum in a while and I was thinking about how the melee combat would be implemented in the game? I was thinking about this because, RO2, one of my favourite games of all time has a very clunky/unintuitive melee system which can lead to some very comedic moments that can ruin the immersion. Could the devs shed a bit of light on the melee mechanics possibly? I.e will it just simply be a one hit kill stab? or will there be the option to block/parry? Anyway discuss...

Interesting topic, haven't really thought about this before! If feasible, I think a parry system could be interesting. Melee is a rather untouched topic in FPS games, and being so prominent in WW2, I think it'd be neat if the devs could implement something a bit more intuitive than just stabbing. One thing about a parry system, is that it shouldn't work every time. There needs to be, for example, a fifty-fifty chance your parry will succeed, otherwise you can do so for eternity and never bee meleed. Assuming parrying is feasible, of course.

Xanderman

Vanguard Backer
yeah i like the idea of the 50:50 chance to parry a blow, it would make melee really tense. I was thinking if it would be possibly to have the attack/block system that chivalry: medieval warfare uses but with rifles and bayonets instead of swords and axes.

Aniallator

One thing to consider is, will players actually make use of a parry system? Instances where melee occurs are adrenaline-packed moments where you're squealing because you can't get to the stab key fast enough. In these moments, will players on the receiving end of a bayonet thrust think to parry, when their minds are wired to bayonet/shoot back?

Swaffy

One thing to consider is, will players actually make use of a parry system? Instances where melee occurs are adrenaline-packed moments where you're squealing because you can't get to the stab key fast enough. In these moments, will players on the receiving end of a bayonet thrust think to parry, when their minds are wired to bayonet/shoot back?

Good comments here. But if a player doesn't think to block the bayonet attack, he is at fault, not the game. His death is from the lack of training - in a gamer's case, experience. I like the idea of a more believable melee system, not these split-second "knife swipes" like certain popular games use. When you wanna do a bayonet stab it is not instant. Gotta grip the gun hard or it can slip from your hands, and thrusting it forward takes muscle. Never a weightless quick-stab. Rifles made from solid steel and wood are not lightweight, and heavier with a full magazine depending on weapon.

I own a Mosin M44 and I'm sure it takes quite a bit of pressure to get that sharp flat point to go through ballistic/military fiber. I've never tested it before, but the logic makes sense. I have seen a guy throw his M44 into a wall like a spear, that was interesting.

So far, from the animation videos I saw, the devs are doing a swell job with detailing their animations.

Aniallator

Good comments here. But if a player doesn't think to block the bayonet attack, he is at fault, not the game. His death is from the lack of training - in a gamer's case, experience. I like the idea of a more believable melee system, not these split-second "knife swipes" like certain popular games use. When you wanna do a bayonet stab it is not instant. Gotta grip the gun hard or it can slip from your hands, and thrusting it forward takes muscle. Never a weightless quick-stab. Rifles made from solid steel and wood are not lightweight, and heavier with a full magazine depending on weapon.

I own a Mosin M44 and I'm sure it takes quite a bit of pressure to get that sharp flat point to go through ballistic/military fiber. I've never tested it before, but the logic makes sense. I have seen a guy throw his M44 into a wall like a spear, that was interesting.

So far, from the animation videos I saw, the devs are doing a swell job with detailing their animations.

This is an excellent point. And like all the animations we've seen for TW so far, the stabbing animation too should feel heavy and a bit slow.

I don't think they need to go to in depth into a Melee system and expend a large amount of resources on it, just a simple system with some clean animations will do, you can't have a proper WW2 game without bayonets though and this should be no exception. There's just something menacing about seeing a silhouette in the distance with a bayonet protruding from his rifle.

I'd like to see something better done than the RO2 system, there it's more of a poking mechanic, the damage I feel is about right but the animations aren't, I'd like to see something more gritty and brutal.

Aniallator

I don't think they need to go to in depth into a Melee system and expend a large amount of resources on it, just a simple system with some clean animations will do, you can't have a proper WW2 game without bayonets though and this should be no exception. There's just something menacing about seeing a silhouette in the distance with a bayonet protruding from his rifle.

I'd like to see something better done than the RO2 system, there it's more of a poking mechanic, the damage I feel is about right but the animations aren't, I'd like to see something more gritty and brutal.

Yup. Stabbing aside, parrying is the only other feasible melee function, and even that's going a bit far because on top of difficult implementation, how often would people really bother to use it? As with everything, I imagine melee animations will be top-notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.