• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Movable emplacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

drummer93

One needs to remember that you are representing a team. The tripod mounted MG's were generally operated by a crew of anywhere from 5 to 7 men, they were considered a part of company level firepower. So if you want realism, you're looking at one guy carrying the MG, another the tripod, another commanding the team, and 4 more guys carrying barrels/water (if water cooled), spare parts, and loads of ammunition. And, again, you're asking for one person to do nothing but carry around a tripod all day ingame- that'll kill gameplay.

Basically, realism is great, but at the end of the day, this is a game we're talking about.

agree. I think the guy carrying the tripod is not necessary, but an approximation of actual HMG squad configuration could be possible and great too see in game. Maybe not in chap number 1, because we will not see combat between companies, but in future.

Aniallator

One needs to remember that you are representing a team. The tripod mounted MG's were generally operated by a crew of anywhere from 5 to 7 men, they were considered a part of company level firepower. So if you want realism, you're looking at one guy carrying the MG, another the tripod, another commanding the team, and 4 more guys carrying barrels/water (if water cooled), spare parts, and loads of ammunition. And, again, you're asking for one person to do nothing but carry around a tripod all day ingame- that'll kill gameplay.

Basically, realism is great, but at the end of the day, this is a game we're talking about.

While I'd still rather the MG and the tripod were carried separately - ideally they'd be set up 90% of the time anyway - I see your point, and honestly I don't mind. But again, in that case I agree with [MENTION=2433]FlyingR[/MENTION] that it should be a spawnable role rather than a pickup kit, which I think TW should avoid.

mmiedzianyy

I think Lafette etc. should be a pick up kits. Why? Because that will "improve" realism. Maybe it's not the most realistic but it would provide carying mounted mg's alone, like mg in one hand and tripod in another when its a spawnable role.. Its rather impossible to be mobile enough and all.
Pick up kits have this adventage when you decide to move it, you can ask for help anybody. It's not like you are assigned to carry the tripod all the time and this is your main objective. As [MENTION=147]VonMudra[/MENTION] said, this is not the most realistic yet (originally 5-6 people required), but imo better than a spawnable role.

Sorry [MENTION=2433]FlyingR[/MENTION] <3

FlyingR

I think Lafette etc. should be a pick up kits. Why? Because that will "improve" realism. Maybe it's not the most realistic but it would provide carying mounted mg's alone, like mg in one hand and tripod in another when its a spawnable role.. Its rather impossible to be mobile enough and all.
Pick up kits have this adventage when you decide to move it, you can ask for help anybody. It's not like you are assigned to carry the tripod all the time and this is your main objective. As @VonMudra said, this is not the most realistic yet (originally 5-6 people required), but imo better than a spawnable role.

Sorry @FlyingR <3

Nah, I don't want to have the MG and the tripod separately, I want it as Mudra said, all in one. The difference is that I would prefer not to have it as a kit as it's just creates an overall mess in the way that people might fight for it or someone in the squad, people from the same squad or even someone who is not in a squad would grab it and just create avoidable arguments.

It also slows the starts of the round since the player has to go and look for the kit and amidst the chaos of people running around and all going to grab the kits it would steal seconds or even minutes of the squads time to reach the objective.

Also I'm considering here the extra work that devs might have to put into with the coding, modeling and such.

If the mounted MG would be in a role it would be overall much more efficient. There would be one per section, the section leader would just assign the role to someone. Done.

No arguments, no loss of time, just spawn and go.

As I said before, it would be great if the MG would have 2 types of MG positions, one unmounted for ease of carrying and fast deployment but less accurate and another one with the tripod which would be impossible to walk with, slower to mount and much more accurate. It would function like Project Reality where if you press "3", it's the unmounted or without the bipod and if you press "4" you have the bipod.

For me this would be ideally because it just removes the kits and it has 2 positions which it gives more variety to the machine gunner.

Flare

Vanguard Backer
[MENTION=2433]FlyingR[/MENTION]

So what your suggestion is, you're always carrying a lafette tripod with you? And you can choose whether to deploy your gun on the lafette or on its normal bipod?

I don't like this idea, especially as a class that can be spawned into. The lafettes and tripods should be separate from the main machine gunner class. It would really decrease the overall immersion to see people setting up tripods every time they set down to defend a position. (Why wouldn't you use it if it was so much more accurate and you had the time.)

Honestly I'd rather have no tripods at all than have the system you recommend, where every gunner can carry a tripod.

VonMudra

Lafette will be separate, that's for sure. There should be no confusion on that- tripod mounted MGs are company level assets and will be issued accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.