• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

My Honor Was Loyalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh. Another European production where the language is American English. I always get a shiver of urgh when I see "honor", ever since Medal of Honor, where it always seems to be accompanied by the over-ripe pronunciation 'ho-noooor', rather than 'onner'. I can't imagine it being said without a 'hoo-ah' somewhere.

I watched 'Sink the Bismarck' the other day - what a change to have emotionally balanced performances rather than the action blockbusters of today where destruction and death is greeted with whoops and cheers.

Kenneth More's performance was astonishing. I broke down during his agonising scenes of discovering his son is missing then later discovering he is safe. All conveyed through silence, tightened lips and one slightly halting sentence. What an actor, ably supported by the immensely sensitive Dana Wynter.

When Michael Hordern's Commander of the Home Fleet sinks the Bismarck, there is no delight in the fact, just a quiet "Gentlemen, let's go home."

If only we could bring this nuance to our portrayals of war today, that seem to be more and more jingoistic and gung-ho, relying on blood 'n' guts rather than acting prowess.

Perhaps this film will be a modern reminder! Thank you for the trailer.

MausRatte

Sigh. Another European production where the language is American English. I always get a shiver of urgh when I see "honor", ever since Medal of Honor, where it always seems to be accompanied by the over-ripe pronunciation 'ho-noooor', rather than 'onner'. I can't imagine it being said without a 'hoo-ah' somewhere.

I watched 'Sink the Bismarck' the other day - what a change to have emotionally balanced performances rather than the action blockbusters of today where destruction and death is greeted with whoops and cheers.

Kenneth More's performance was astonishing. I broke down during his agonising scenes of discovering his son is missing then later discovering he is safe. All conveyed through silence, tightened lips and one slightly halting sentence. What an actor, ably supported by the immensely sensitive Dana Wynter.

When Michael Hordern's Commander of the Home Fleet sinks the Bismarck, there is no delight in the fact, just a quiet "Gentlemen, let's go home."

If only we could bring this nuance to our portrayals of war today, that seem to be more and more jingoistic and gung-ho, relying on blood 'n' guts rather than acting prowess.

Perhaps this film will be a modern reminder! Thank you for the trailer.

Quick to judge for a 1 and a half minute trailer... I'm glad there is finally a movie that looks like it'll be well done showing the German side, afterall they were fighting for their country, not every German soldier exactly agreed with what the Nazi party was doing. I'd reckon most people would die for a man that brought them out of a depression.

Hey, we judge on the available evidence. In this case, positive (apart from the semi-tongue-in-cheek reference to the Americanisation of everything)!

I said "perhaps this film will be a reminder [of the great war films we have had that don't rely on blood and guts but good acting]"

So I entirely agree with what you just wrote!

MausRatte

Hey, we judge on the available evidence. In this case, positive (apart from the semi-tongue-in-cheek reference to the Americanisation of everything)!

I said "perhaps this film will be a reminder [of the great war films we have had that don't rely on blood and guts but good acting]"

So I entirely agree with what you just wrote!

Well not everyone in America knows fluent German. And who cares, if the movie is anything like Saving Private Ryan but from the German viewpoint, I'll love it like no other. Guaranteed to be my favourite movie.

Edit: Also, the drama type movies don't pass too well for movie goers that are expecting an action packed movie.

Yes, the German 'Saving Private Ryan' - that would be something! However, it is a little too easy to assume that a subtitled film would be impossible to market to Americans, or that difference in expectations means lack of engagement and filmic failure. Witness "Psycho", where people weren't allowed in once the showing had started!

In the UK, Scandinavian (subtitled) dramas have become so popular that the BBC has scheduled a special evening slot for them. Also the French police series "Spiral" (Engrenages) is very popular, with the fifth series now showing. I could go on with the Italian "Inspector Montalbano" etc.

Currently the discourse on war is in danger of being swallowed in jingoism, with the travesty of the 'hero' as portrayed in "American Sniper". From the premise and trailer it seems this fil will be closer to the thought-provoking "Ballad of a Soldier" than that trash.

I know many people who prefer subtitled films as it means they're more aware of the story. "Staligrad" in the dubbed edition was good, but far better from an English speaker's point of view in the subtitled version. Much more immersive.

However, I was referring specifically to the title - it's always a shame to me when European countries adopt American spellings (a country distant in miles and culture, especially at the time portrayed), that in many cases neglect the etymology (and to a snooty Brit look ugly!)

I hope it is as affecting as that recent 'humanisation' (if I can reduce an excellent film to that) of the Nazis, "Europa, Europa".

MausRatte

Yes, the German 'Saving Private Ryan' - that would be something! However, it is a little too easy to assume that a subtitled film would be impossible to market to Americans, or that difference in expectations means lack of engagement and filmic failure. Witness "Psycho", where people weren't allowed in once the showing had started!

In the UK, Scandinavian (subtitled) dramas have become so popular that the BBC has scheduled a special evening slot for them. Also the French police series "Spiral" (Engrenages) is very popular, with the fifth series now showing. I could go on with the Italian "Inspector Montalbano" etc.

Currently the discourse on war is in danger of being swallowed in jingoism, with the travesty of the 'hero' as portrayed in "American Sniper". From the premise and trailer it seems this fil will be closer to the thought-provoking "Ballad of a Soldier" than that trash.

I know many people who prefer subtitled films as it means they're more aware of the story. "Staligrad" in the dubbed edition was good, but far better from an English speaker's point of view in the subtitled version. Much more immersive.

However, I was referring specifically to the title - it's always a shame to me when European countries adopt American spellings (a country distant in miles and culture, especially at the time portrayed), that in many cases neglect the etymology (and to a snooty Brit look ugly!)

I hope it is as affecting as that recent 'humanisation' (if I can reduce an excellent film to that) of the Nazis, "Europa, Europa".
"Hey Bill, wanna go see Meine Ehre war Loyalität this weekend?" No one wants to say that. Enemy at the Gates was a great movie, with British actors. I'm sure most people don't mind that the Soviets were speaking English. It extracts from your entertainment when you constantly have to look at the bottom of the screen to see the subtitles.

:D

I think we're at cross-purposes here as we aren't disagreeing - I'd be all right with "Hey Bill, want to go to see "My Honour was Loyalty" this weekend? It's just the American spelling to promote a European film that gets my goat. As a continent we have more in common with each other than modern America, but we continually pander to Uncle Sam across the sea. I don't want to see "Roma" in English, nor should Fellini have felt he had to. Of course he didn't, but the point is valid I think.

Yes, perhaps the German title is a little hard to mouth for us Englishers, but the title doesn't have to be the same language for each area's release, and really I prefer the film itself in the story's original language. However, thoughtfulness in the film-making counts and even in the English recording I'd take "Das Boot" over "Enemy at the Gates" any day.

Last edited:

Aniallator

Dunkirk, The Longest Day, and Sink the Bismarck are my favorites. I'll never get tired of The Longest Day's Pointe du Hoc scene. Acting has changed so much sense then. Saving Private Ryan was a good movie, but I'll always prefer those three oldies to Spielberg's adaption of the Second World War. My Honor Was Loyalty looks interesting, though; I wish there were more war films from the Axis perspective. I love Clint Eastwood's back-to-back films, Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima.

Yes indeed. The last two I haven't seen yet, but intend to as soon as I can. Also for tension one can't beat John Mills's various submarine escapades, or of course "Ice Cold in Alex". What a man. Shows what you can do without yelling and screaming all the time. Sometimes suggestion is a far better tool than demonstration when it comes to film-making.

Swaffy

Arguments aside, this looks really interesting and I want to know when it gets released so I can see it. :]

Koenigstiger

Sigh. Another European production where the language is American English

Where does it state what language the film is?

I mean the music is in German obviously and the title is in English

(The film itself looks like it has an Italian cast)

If anything the film should be in Italian lol.

VonMudra

As far as I am aware, this movie is an extremely low-budget italian-directed film made using American reenactors as free, voluntary cast, on the east coast.

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
Looks like a lot of the budget went into buckets of paint to get the vehicles to resemble anything from WWII. Such as that... Me 109 I guess? The "Stuka" on the other hand, is almost passable.

VonMudra

Looks like a lot of the budget went into buckets of paint to get the vehicles to resemble anything from WWII. Such as that... Me 109 I guess? The "Stuka" on the other hand, is almost passable.

Since they were reenactors, they probably brought all those vehicles along with them. I haven't looked at the trailer, cuz meh, but I'd get the feeling they're correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.